Should I really spend $40?

Holocene

I've never flown a 150 but will be using one in 3 weeks to begin and hopefully complete instrument training during a 2 week period. I do have a handful of hours in a 172, but close to 100 have been in Cherokees.

Should I buy the 150 manual for $40, just to show up prepared? Or instead just look up V-speeds online and ask to study the manual when I get there?

If this was for a PPL checkride I'd say buy the book. Since this is an instrument checkride it is highly unlikely that you'll be quized on type-specific questions. The only system questions you should be asked are generic systems like pitot, static, etc. Review the aircraft through the POH at your flight school but I would not suggest buying one.

google05.jpg
40 seems real expensive when almost all the information is on google.

See if you can borrow one. I didn't really want to buy a BE-76 since I was going to do my MEI and MER in it and it doesn't really require that many hours in it, so I asked my instructor if I could borrow his and make photo copies.

For my IR checkride I got asked systems questions along with airspeeds...after i answered it he made me look up in the book and show him.
I would hate to fail a checkride over $40.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper one on ebay or amazon.

I think I have one at home...PM me your info., and when I get home from this trip, I'll mail it to you. Just mail it back to me when you're done using it.

The later models were upgraded to hamster power. Checking wheel lubrication was an important part of every preflight.
Wasn't that when they changed the model designation from 150 to 152?

Joking aside, our chief mechanic once called 150s "Zen engineering" because of their marvelous simplicity. He really liked working on those things.

For my IR checkride I got asked systems questions along with airspeeds...after i answered it he made me look up in the book and show him.
I would hate to fail a checkride over $40.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper one on ebay or amazon.

Why didn't you use the aircraft POH? For my CFII the FAA askrd me which would you teach the POH or a manual you bought from the internet?

Why didn't you use the aircraft POH? For my CFII the FAA askrd me which would you teach the POH or a manual you bought from the internet?

I did use the POH.

Sorry for not being clear :)
The examiner wanted my answers referenced in the POH.

$40 seems about the norm for them. I paid 40 for a PA-28-140 POH and the local flight school was selling the 150 POH for 40 bucks as well. No idea why. Are they out of print?
What I did before my 150 checkout was borrow the CFI's copy, then copied down all the critical information like v-speeds, weights, fuel, oil, etc onto a word document and saved it. A lot of the emergency checklists were the same for the 172M I used to fly (except with different speeds of course), so I didn't copy those.

I would buy the manual and learn the airplane. I was asked very specific aircraft and performance questions when I took my IR ride. It never hurts to be over prepared, it will just make the checkride easier. If you are week in the oral it will take longer and the DE will dig deeper. The DE may also make the airport more thorough as well. I still personally have all the manuals for almost every plane I have flown. In the cost of flight training $40 buck for a manual is nothing.

Good Luck with the IR. I personally preferred the C-172 as an instrument platform. It is a good stable learning platform and an observer can sit in the back. You can learn a lot by being the back seater watching someone else receive instruction.

Back