Should I really spend $40?

if time permits, perhaps you can hit up a fellow JC'er and see if someone has an old one lying around. I've never flown a 150, so im no help.

For me, moving up to the C-150 was like moving into the Space Shuttle. It had an electrical system, starter, and a Nav/Com. Amazing stuff as most of the airplanes I had flown previously had none of these things (Cub, Champ, T-crafts, C-120's). The C-150 really is a "systems" airplane and I would definitely bone up.

For me, moving up to the C-150 was like moving into the Space Shuttle. It had an electrical system, starter, and a Nav/Com. Amazing stuff as most of the airplanes I had flown previously had none of these things (Cub, Champ, T-crafts, C-120's). The C-150 really is a "systems" airplane and I would definitely bone up.
It made the 172R I normally fly feel like a Global Express.:D

I would buy the manual and learn the airplane. I was asked very specific aircraft and performance questions when I took my IR ride. It never hurts to be over prepared, it will just make the checkride easier. If you are week in the oral it will take longer and the DE will dig deeper. The DE may also make the airport more thorough as well. I still personally have all the manuals for almost every plane I have flown. In the cost of flight training $40 buck for a manual is nothing.

Great point....

You're going to spend a few bills on a checkride, say $300. How much is instruction going to cost for another sign off? Then you spend another $300 for ride II. You're down 1k for not spending $40.

If you know the basics (v-speeds, systems, etc) and can get about 30-45 minutes quality time with the POH or PIM before the ride, I'd just go that route. The DE I have dealt with was OK if you didn't know something right off the top of your head (provided it wasn't something important, like your best glide speed or an emergency procedure) as long as you knew where to find the answer in the POH/PIM.

I'd look around on eBay or put up a wanted ad here before paying $40 for a 20 page PIM though. Most folks will let them go for the price of shipping if they aren't using it.

Make sure the manual is at least close to the same year as the airplane. Cessna POH's were model specific, airspeed, weights and such did change over the years. My 66 manual is not the same as the one in my 77 C150M. May not mean anything to you, but it might be a red flag for the examiner.

If you don't want to spring the dosh, then just take the AFM from the plane when you go into the checkride. Not only is it model specific, it is also specific to that serial.

Just make sure no one is planning on flying it whilst you are doing the oral.

Back