Air Force Academy

mtrep09

I have a few questions about applying to the AFA. I'm currently a senior in high school so I don't know if it's too late yet. Looking on the Academy website it says you have to fill out a questionnaire by Jan. 31, but you also have to request a nomination from your congressman. I think I might be too late, but just wanted to make sure before eliminating any chances.

Also, I've applied for a ROTC scholarship and am waiting to hear the results of that. Can you apply for a ROTC scholarship and apply at the AFA?

Thanks,
Matt

When I was in highschool, I thought a lot about the service academies, and while they are a great way to get an education, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to get laid in college, as well as be able to drink beer, and leave campus when I wanted to. Plus, you are at the academies to become an officer, not a pilot, keep that in mind. Even though working fulltime and going to college full time isn't fun, I do think its better than doing a plebe year at one of them. Mild institutionalized hazing just isn't for me. Plus, I'm not really sure if they're still doing it, but the AFA had the whole evangelist thing going on for awhile and I don't know if I'd jive with that very well.

You're 17 or 18 years old, you know you've got to go to college, what do you do? I'd go to college and pay for it yourself, sure free school is nice, but it isn't exactly free, because when you sign on the dotted line you pay with your time. And, when there's all that money and pressure over your head, your not exactly thinking clearly, so you don't want to make a dicision under duress. When you get done with school, you'll have so many options fan open for you, and choices you can make. At that point, make the dicision to military it up. At least that's the path I'm taking more or less, and while going to work full time and school full time isn't exactly fun, I come out on top with no commitment but myself when I'm done with school, and a billion options because my student loans will be less. Good luck. PM me if you need anything.

-pat

You would have to check your individual representatives website for information on their deadlines for nominations. When I applied, all had deadlines around the Nov/Dec timeframe and then held interviews in early Dec.

You can apply for both an ROTC scholarship and to any academy at the same time.

As for the commitment, if it is something you have decided you want to do then you will enjoy it. If you aren't sure, you can withdraw from ROTC up until your sophomore year without any consequences. I chose the ROTC route and it has allowed me to go to a great school 1,000 miles away from my home state while having a miniscule amount of debt after graduation. The resources and opportunities provided to me are amazing. Either way you go, you still have a lot of options open to you.

I applied to the Air Force Academy when I was in high school and as you're aware, process is lengthy. The ultimate deadline when I applied was March 1st for all materials. This included the nomination, forms recomendations, essays, physical fitness test results, medical exam results, and eye exam results. The medical and eye exams can take a while. The medical branch of the Air Force will tell you where to go for those. This can take a while depending on their schedules and so forth. The closest place may even be a pretty long drive. I was fortunate in that I didn't have to go far for either of my exams.

The nomination process is also lengthy. I was sitting in interviews with committees set up by my Senators and Congressmen in October and November of my senior year and received notification of my nomination in late December. Every state has a different process though. Check the websites of your Senators and Congressmen. They will have a dedicated link with information about Service Academy Nominations.

At this point I am going to say that it is too late to apply for this year. However, there is nothing saying you can't apply next year if you really want to go to the Academy. I'd suggest enrolling in a local community college for the upcoming year to take some math and English classes. While you are doing this, I'd start to apply to the Academy. I started the process during the Summer preceding my senior year. Though I did receive a nomination from my Congressman, I was ultimatley disqualified from eligibility due to a medical condition, but I did complete the entire process. PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Try www.baseops.net to speak with plent of AF types who have gone to the AF Academy. The only info worthwhile comes from those who have been. If your end goal is to fly with the military, there are obviously a few options to go with, AFA, AFROTC, OTS, AFR, ANG, etc. The last few mean you have to pay your way through school. I had a 2 year NROTC scholarship and it's nice have your school and books paid for. However, flying for the military is an experience and adventure you obviously won't get anywhere else. Of course the military isn't for everyone, a whole lot of ######## has to be put up with though I suspect that's probably everywhere. You can walk away at any time in the civilian world though. Again, where else can you get this...though you have to be Navy to normally experience this:

Bunkslastcarrierflight048-1.jpg

Bunkslastcarrierflight054.jpg

Thanks for all the info!

I've done a ton of research on everything I can possibly think of about the military, air force, and ROTC, (baseops has been great) so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into. I initially decided on ROTC for mostly the same reasons that ppragman mentioned. I want to have a normal college experience. The more I think about it though, the more I think maybe the Academy wouldn't be a bad option, so I figured looking into it a little more wouldn't hurt.

If you want a pilot slot then take the Academy route!! I read that all graduates that are medically qualified to fly get a slot easily and you are only competing with your graduating class compared to ROTC where you are competing with the whole nation.. Same number of slots, less people wanting them..

I'm sure there are people on this board that got a slot through ROTC but trust me you will be kicking yourself if for some reason the ROTC slots are cut (like in the 90's after the Gulf War) and you are in charge of maintaining the planes that the AFA grads break (still a rewarding job, but its not flying).

Bunk22 - what plane is that in the first picture?

I went to West Point. My younger brother went to AFA. I'm believing March 1 is the deadline, but definitely, I can't be sure.

Again, if in fact you missed the date, seriously consider the prep school as an option.

You'll hear pros and cons for many options out there; believe me, there are a few. If the choice is made for AFA, then by all means. . .go so. . .and good luck.

I'm sure there are people on this board that got a slot through ROTC but trust me you will be kicking yourself if for some reason the ROTC slots are cut (like in the 90's after the Gulf War) and you are in charge of maintaining the planes that the AFA grads break (still a rewarding job, but its not flying)

USAFA also had a corresponding drop in pilot slots in that same mid-90s timeframe.

Besides, I was initially commissioned out of ROTC in the mid 90s as a Maintenance Officer "maintaining the planes that the AFA grads break"....and I've been flying fighters for the last 10 years straight. So, your implication that someone would be pinched out of flying if they go ROTC and times get tough is just plain off target.

The REAL thing one needs to know when making the USAFA vs ROTC/OTS choice is that the paradigms of the past will not apply to you by the time you get there. Don't make your decisions based on what happened last year, 5 years ago, or the last decade. What you experience WILL NOT be the same.

Making your decision about which commissioning route to take based solely on anecdotal information about "chances of getting a pilot slot" is dumb. Certainly that has got to be part of the equasion, but you have to take everything else into account, too.

There are good opportunities everywhere, and there are pros and cons, risks and benefits to each route. There is no one perfect solution for everyone.

If you want a pilot slot then take the Academy route!! I read that all graduates that are medically qualified to fly get a slot easily and you are only competing with your graduating class compared to ROTC where you are competing with the whole nation.. Same number of slots, less people wanting them..

I'm sure there are people on this board that got a slot through ROTC but trust me you will be kicking yourself if for some reason the ROTC slots are cut (like in the 90's after the Gulf War) and you are in charge of maintaining the planes that the AFA grads break (still a rewarding job, but its not flying).

No offense Ahmed but it seem you are giving advice you know nothing about. Unless you've BTDT, let those in the know or at least have somewhat of an understanding of how the military system works. That means Academy, ROTC, OTS/OCS types, etc.

Bunk22 - what plane is that in the first picture?

It's a COD (C-2A Greyhound). One of my last traps in the mighty Greyhound as my boat days are over after 8+ years.

Besides, I was initially commissioned out of ROTC in the mid 90s as a Maintenance Officer "maintaining the planes that the AFA grads break"....and I've been flying fighters for the last 10 years straight. So, your implication that someone would be pinched out of flying if they go ROTC and times get tough is just plain off target.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him except via NROTC. No pilot slots for over a year and he picked up AMO. Switched to pilot two years later, winged in 98 and has been flying EA-6B Prowlers ever since. Definitely things change over time. Again, for the OP, need to really listen to only those who have been there done that, the more recent the better.

The REAL thing one needs to know when making the USAFA vs ROTC/OTS choice is that the paradigms of the past will not apply to you by the time you get there. Don't make your decisions based on what happened last year, 5 years ago, or the last decade. What you experience WILL NOT be the same.

Making your decision about which commissioning route to take based solely on anecdotal information about "chances of getting a pilot slot" is dumb. Certainly that has got to be part of the equasion, but you have to take everything else into account, too.

There are good opportunities everywhere, and there are pros and cons, risks and benefits to each route. There is no one perfect solution for everyone.

Excellent point! Thanks for making it crystal clear. Most know the academy is simply one of many avenues to flight school, but going to the academy provides other valuable perspectives other than simply flying (even though this is a flying forum). Many grads don't fly, but the benefits of going are still superb.

I went to West Point. My younger brother went to AFA. I'm believing March 1 is the deadline, but definitely, I can't be sure.

Again, if in fact you missed the date, seriously consider the prep school as an option.

You'll hear pros and cons for many options out there; believe me, there are a few. If the choice is made for AFA, then by all means. . .go so. . .and good luck.

What year? I'm an '05 grad yo!

I graduated from the academy this past may and currently in UPT...did you get all your questions answered or do you still have some?

I think that covers most of them. I think I'm going to stick with ROTC, but I wanted to be sure I knew what all of my options were and make a decision from there.

Ian,
I am currently enlisted USAF(SrA), and have applied to the Academy via the LEAD program. Just wondering if there were many priors in your class, and what i should expect if i get in.(Crossing my fingers)

Andrew

Back