Air Force Academy

Ian,
I am currently enlisted USAF(SrA), and have applied to the Academy via the LEAD program. Just wondering if there were many priors in your class, and what i should expect if i get in.(Crossing my fingers)

Andrew

We had three priors in my class in my squad alone. so 3 out of about 30 were priors. Lots of priors get in. As I was not a prior, I can't really tell you how it would be different for you.

Airmen interested in challenging themselves while earning a degree and a commission can apply to the U.S. Air Force Academy through the Leaders Encouraging Airmen Development program.

Every year, Airmen on active duty compete for appointments to the academy through the program. In 2007 there are 135 slots up for grabs -- 50 preparatory school slots and a potential 85 direct appointments.

“Each year, commanders nominate highly qualified Airmen who must be U.S. citizens or be able to obtain citizenship before entry into the academy the following year,” said Chuck Strang, USAFE Education Program manager. “Candidates must be unmarried and have no dependents. In addition, Airmen must not have passed their 22nd birthday by July 1 of the entry year for the prep school or 23rd birthday if receiving a direct appointment to the academy. Airmen must also be of high moral character and have less than six years of service.”

To compete, Airmen must complete Air Force form 1786 and have their unit commander complete a statement on their character, ability and motivation to become an officer. The form and statement must also be coordinated through the Military Personnel Flight assignment section and reach the Air Force Academy's Admissions Office no later than Jan. 31 of the entry year.

"The maturity and military experience of prior enlisted cadets make them ideal role models -- both during their time as cadets and as commissioned officers," said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley in a recent message to senior Air Force commanders.

Airmen will receive a notification from the admissions office which identifies additional requirements needed to complete the application package.

For more information, Airmen can contact their local education office.

Seems as if your chances might be good! :) Good luck.

Back