Beware of Great Wall Buffet

8ball

I'm writing this as a word of warning to you guys.

I went to have dinner tonight at the Great Wall Buffet, which is on Gateway Dr. This link has its address and information:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=4002592684623998214

Now.... When I looked at my plate, I noticed that among the shrimp, there was one shrimp that had a hair on it. I just knew that it wasn't from me because it looked oily, giving the impression that it was on the shrimp for a while, and it was also curly, and I don't have any curly hair.

A note about the employees.... I don't want to pick on them because of their ability at speaking English. Instead, I just have to note something about them. Some of them don't seem to speak English at all, while the ones who do, speak English in a broken manner. This doesn't exactly help when trying to explain to them any health concern in their restaurant.

I went to one employee, with the plate, and I proceeded to explain to her my concern about finding a hair on a shrimp in their restaurant. Believe it or not, she said:

"Take it off".

WTF???????!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I just couldn't believe what I heard. I tried again to explain to her that finding a hair in their food is totally unacceptable. To make matters worse, she actually tried to give an excuse about it, explaining that there are usually a lot of people in their kitchen, and that a hair falling into the food is bound to happen. No matter how many times I tried to explain to her that this wasn't right, she just didn't seem to accept the idea.

It goes without saying that I will never, ever return to this establishment.

Now, some of you may doubt what I'm saying. Well, for one thing, I will say this:

I don't want you guys to go through what I went through tonight at this joke of an establishment. No one should ever go to a place like this where sanitation and health is apparently not even understood. Not only pilots, but anyone for that matter, should look out for his or her own health and well-being, and as such, you should all steer clear of this place.

This place has nothing to do with UND. It just happens to be nearby. All of the food that I've eaten at UND has been completely safe.

If you want a nice, safe place to eat, then I suggest going to a well-run establishment such as Buffalo Wild Wings or Apple Bee's.

Pass this information on to everyone you know in Grand Forks.

5th floor has the best food, hands down.

and as far as applebees....LOLZ... i used to cook there. point made, yea?

You must have not been to Wilkerson yet! :eek:

I went there a few times, back in spring 2008, and believe me, I'm pretty sure that they have better standards of sanitation when compared to Great Wall Buffet.

5th floor has the best food, hands down.

and as far as applebees....LOLZ... i used to cook there. point made, yea?

I'd like to know where 5th floor is.

I still believe that, at a place at Apple Bee's, at least the waitress will replace your meal if there's a hair in it, instead of telling you to "take it off". Plus, you can communicate properly with the waiters and waitresses at Apple Bee's.

Do any of the employees look like these gentlemen? If so....be careful!
MV5BMTc1NjE1MTI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzYxMzE3._V1._SX485_SY327_.jpg

If you knew where these people were coming from and their experiences you would understand their nonchalant attitude. Other than that, deal with it and grow up. You went to a Chinese hog trough. What do you expect?

Ugh. That brings back some memories. If you want China Buff, go to Panda down on Columbia near the mall (if it's still there). That was better and they have a Mongolian-style grill too.

Do any of the employees look like these gentlemen? If so....be careful!

I can't see the image. I'd really like to see it. :)

If you knew where these people were coming from and their experiences you would understand their nonchalant attitude. Other than that, deal with it and grow up. You went to a Chinese hog trough. What do you expect?

It's not nice to tell people to "deal with it and grow up" without seeing the whole picture.

In all of my travels around the U.S., I never, ever thought that I'd find this level of carelessness at a restaurant in this country. There is, of course, an enormous number of higher quality restaurants in this country, and that's what makes me feel better.

Report them to the Department of Health. If they get a visit, "It happens" will not suffice. I can't STAND the arrogance of some people.

http://www.ndhealth.gov/

That looks like the best solution.

Ugh. That brings back some memories. If you want China Buff, go to Panda down on Columbia near the mall (if it's still there). That was better and they have a Mongolian-style grill too.

Thanks for your suggestion.

so now this has gone from avoid great wall to "be wary of any kind of Chinese establishment" in the area?

i had a bad experience at a kfc a few weeks ago.. from now on i'm going to avoid all american restaurants :sarcasm:

so now this has gone from avoid great wall to "be wary of any kind of Chinese establishment" in the area?

i had a bad experience at a kfc a few weeks ago.. from now on i'm going to avoid all american restaurants :sarcasm:

I honestly did not mean that all Chinese people are bad or anything like that. It's just that, to tell you the truth, this is not the first time that I get this kind of treatment and attitude at a Chinese establishment.

I didn't mean to imply that all Chinese establishments are bad. It's just that because of my previous experiences, I should be careful of what kind of establishment I go to. I know that there are some five-star Chinese restaurants in the U.S. and elsewhere around the world. I just have to be careful, nothing more, nothing less.

I honestly did not mean that all Chinese people are bad or anything like that. It's just that, to tell you the truth, this is not the first time that I get this kind of treatment and attitude at a Chinese establishment.
I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on this. I've encountered this quite a few times in the take-out Chinese places in NY, especially. It seems like it's a mentality some of these people carry.

...and guys, no one is saying that the whole entire country of China is damned with dirty people nor that other countries don't have such attitudes toward sanitation, either. Quit being so sensitive.

P.S.-If I would have been you, I would have walked out that instant. I would have NOT paid for the food, and I certainly hope you didn't.

DOH! YOU JUST GAVE AWAY UND AVIATION'S BIGGEST BEST KEPT SECRET!!!

(its really good. really!)

I don't know about you guys, but I think it really went down hill when...oh, whatshername (I want to say Cindy?) stopped working there and moved downstairs to work dispatch. She always put forth extra effort to make sure the food was good and inexpensive! I remember once that she opened back up at 3 pm (an hour after close) to let me grab a lunch, because my flight got back a lot later than I thought it would, and then said that since she had already done the day's till, I could just pay her back later. Amazing! Now it's just like going to Wilkerson.

P.S.-If I would have been you, I would have walked out that instant. I would have NOT paid for the food, and I certainly hope you didn't.

I did pay for the food, simply because I wasn't able to communicate properly with those people. This is mainly because the people who did speak English, apparently did not understand the language well. At the same time, I just wasn't in the mood for an argument. However, if I get into a similar situation in the future, then I'm pretty sure that I won't pay for the food.

I don't know about you guys, but I think it really went down hill when...oh, whatshername (I want to say Cindy?) stopped working there and moved downstairs to work dispatch. She always put forth extra effort to make sure the food was good and inexpensive! I remember once that she opened back up at 3 pm (an hour after close) to let me grab a lunch, because my flight got back a lot later than I thought it would, and then said that since she had already done the day's till, I could just pay her back later. Amazing! Now it's just like going to Wilkerson.
Yeah, Cindy was her name. I agree with you. She always put the extra effort and was always very friendly. No offense to whoever is friends w/ the current lady up there....but she's pretty blah at her job.

Another praise for Cindy! Ever since starting 102, and even over the summer going up and grabbing lunch on the 5th floor brightened up my day. Cindy was a joy and her extreme sense of optimism easily rubbed off on whoever was in her presence. The current gal working the counter needs to at least fake a smile or something.

Yeah, Cindy was her name. I agree with you. She always put the extra effort and was always very friendly. No offense to whoever is friends w/ the current lady up there....but she's pretty blah at her job.

this definitely could be true. i always ALWAYS went to cindy on a regular basis, esp when i was doing 102 and was at the airport every day....

unfortunate if 5th floor isnt the gem it used to be...

Back