Beware of Great Wall Buffet

Great Wall Buffet was nasty. Every restaurant in Grand Forks was nasty, except for Sanders.

North Dakota is a sad sad place folks. Truly sad.

I don't know about you guys, but I think it really went down hill when...oh, whatshername (I want to say Cindy?) stopped working there and moved downstairs to work dispatch. She always put forth extra effort to make sure the food was good and inexpensive! I remember once that she opened back up at 3 pm (an hour after close) to let me grab a lunch, because my flight got back a lot later than I thought it would, and then said that since she had already done the day's till, I could just pay her back later. Amazing! Now it's just like going to Wilkerson.

Exactly. That place used to be amazing but now its just another sub-par UND eatery.

As for Great Wall, can't say I've been there but one hair isn't the end of the world. However, the attitude about it kinda scares me.

China Garden on 32nd seems to be just fine from my experience. Not a buffet, though.

As for Wilkerson and the other UND dining centers, I'd be happy if all I'd witnessed there was a single hair in my food. I found probably over 15 hairs in everything from scrambled eggs to baked goods last year. I once found a fly in the jello. I've seen the staff do nothing about a refrigerated cart (for the salad stuff) that was found to be unplugged for hours. The staff simply lied about all the temp tracking numbers and said that no one would notice. I've also seen the staff make people put back pizza that they took with their bare hand because they took one too many slices... It sounds like Great Wall has just about the same mind set of the UND dining centers.

Exactly. That place used to be amazing but now its just another sub-par UND eatery.

As for Great Wall, can't say I've been there but one hair isn't the end of the world. However, the attitude about it kinda scares me.

China Garden on 32nd seems to be just fine from my experience. Not a buffet, though.

As for Wilkerson and the other UND dining centers, I'd be happy if all I'd witnessed there was a single hair in my food. I found probably over 15 hairs in everything from scrambled eggs to baked goods last year. I once found a fly in the jello. I've seen the staff do nothing about a refrigerated cart (for the salad stuff) that was found to be unplugged for hours. The staff simply lied about all the temp tracking numbers and said that no one would notice. I've also seen the staff make people put back pizza that they took with their bare hand because they took one too many slices... It sounds like Great Wall has just about the same mind set of the UND dining centers.
It doesn't surprise me to hear that about Wilkerson. As far as China Garden, they've been pretty good so far. I've spent a LOT of money going there. hehehe I love the sweet & sour chicken.

Ugh.

I delivered groceries one summer. It's amazing that more people don't get sick from eating out. That's all I will say.

Ok maybe i am already dating myself but this should not be a surprise here is a link...

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2006/06/19/2003314436/print

http://www.kxmc.com/getARticle.asp?ArticleId=14133

same story twice in case one doesn't work.

this is the same building that was Buffet House and then i believe it was Green Mill then Great Wall. From what i understand great wall was still in the same Illegal immigration ring. Hence none of them know English. You can look it up The Buffet house was on 3555 Gateway the same as the great wall. The thing that sucks with all the Asian food in Grand Forks is that they all use the same wholesaler from St. Paul. I forget what the name is but i have seen the trucks in GFK many times and now see them in the Twin Cities every once in a while.

Another thing about Wilkerson food. I know a guy who used to work at UW-Stout in the kitchen. He told me that they put Laxatives in the food in case students get food poisoning it will come out quicker. I always felt Wilke did this.

Too bad so many gain weight with the dorm food otherwise it would be a a good weight loss plan. Must be all the Late night. Or it was just Millie for those of you who know who i am talking about!

I believe that FOXCOW would agree with me that when we lived in Bek and ate at Squires we were always sprinting to the can after a meal. In fact, there was even a name for the phenomenon: the Squires Squirts.

I believe that FOXCOW would agree with me that when we lived in Bek and ate at Squires we were always sprinting to the can after a meal. In fact, there was even a name for the phenomenon: the Squires Squirts.

We always had the BWW clockwork in West my Freshman year

I forget what the name is but i have seen the trucks in GFK many times and now see them in the Twin Cities every once in a while.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Asian Foods, Inc, providers of the fortune cookies, too, located in St. Paul.

Or it was just Millie for those of you who know who i am talking about!
LOL, Millie! She knew EVERYTHING about everyone. "Hi, Angel! Your girlfriend is already here."

I'm writing this as a word of warning to you guys.

I went to have dinner tonight at the Great Wall Buffet, which is on Gateway Dr. This link has its address and information:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&u...=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=4002592684623998214

Now.... When I looked at my plate, I noticed that among the shrimp, there was one shrimp that had a hair on it. I just knew that it wasn't from me because it looked oily, giving the impression that it was on the shrimp for a while, and it was also curly, and I don't have any curly hair.

A note about the employees.... I don't want to pick on them because of their ability at speaking English. Instead, I just have to note something about them. Some of them don't seem to speak English at all, while the ones who do, speak English in a broken manner. This doesn't exactly help when trying to explain to them any health concern in their restaurant.

I went to one employee, with the plate, and I proceeded to explain to her my concern about finding a hair on a shrimp in their restaurant. Believe it or not, she said:

"Take it off".

WTF???????!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I just couldn't believe what I heard. I tried again to explain to her that finding a hair in their food is totally unacceptable. To make matters worse, she actually tried to give an excuse about it, explaining that there are usually a lot of people in their kitchen, and that a hair falling into the food is bound to happen. No matter how many times I tried to explain to her that this wasn't right, she just didn't seem to accept the idea.

It goes without saying that I will never, ever return to this establishment.

Now, some of you may doubt what I'm saying. Well, for one thing, I will say this:

I don't want you guys to go through what I went through tonight at this joke of an establishment. No one should ever go to a place like this where sanitation and health is apparently not even understood. Not only pilots, but anyone for that matter, should look out for his or her own health and well-being, and as such, you should all steer clear of this place.

This place has nothing to do with UND. It just happens to be nearby. All of the food that I've eaten at UND has been completely safe.

If you want a nice, safe place to eat, then I suggest going to a well-run establishment such as Buffalo Wild Wings or Apple Bee's.

Pass this information on to everyone you know in Grand Forks.
about 4 years ago we went to BWW and my wife ordered a salad, it came complete with a gigantic beatle in it.

we don't go to BWW much........

oh and the Great Wall has been shut down at least 1x before because of sanitation and illegals

I still believe that, at a place at Apple Bee's, at least the waitress will replace your meal if there's a hair in it, instead of telling you to "take it off".

Hrmm don't forget Blue Moose, in the summer they did nothing about insects inside flying around their neon lights and falling into your food. Forget replacing they wouldn't even appologize about the situation.

Hrmm don't forget Blue Moose, in the summer they did nothing about insects inside flying around their neon lights and falling into your food. Forget replacing they wouldn't even appologize about the situation.

LOL i remember that situation!

never went there again after that.

Wow, so you found a hair. Damn bro, it's not as if you found a chopped up rat. Then, I'd understand the rant. But a hair? You're blowing this way out of proportion. While you, me and the next guy may get turned off by this when we see it, you can't honestly think it was done with malicious intent. Do you think the guy in the kitchen said, "i'm gonna totally screw this guy over and pluck a hair down on this chow mein!" While that could have happened, I'm sure it was not the case.

While management 'could' have dealt with it differently, it doesn't seem that your being too logical with the scenario.

Don't eat the food, send it back, or don't pay. Problem solved.

Wow, so you found a hair. Damn bro, it's not as if you found a chopped up rat. Then, I'd understand the rant. But a hair? You're blowing this way out of proportion. While you, me and the next guy may get turned off by this when we see it, you can't honestly think it was done with malicious intent. Do you think the guy in the kitchen said, "i'm gonna totally screw this guy over and pluck a hair down on this chow mein!" While that could have happened, I'm sure it was not the case.

While management 'could' have dealt with it differently, it doesn't seem that your being too logical with the scenario.

Don't eat the food, send it back, or don't pay. Problem solved.

I disagree.

No, I don't think that I'm blowing this out of proportion. It's true that a hair isn't something too serious when it comes to food, but the MAJOR issue is the apathy that is displayed by the employees of this restaurant. Sanitation and hygiene are two things which I take seriously. If the employees of a restaurant don't care about sanitation and hygiene, then they shouldn't be allowed to serve food to the public.

Well, my do not eat at list in Grand Forks include:
Great Wall Buffet - cold food, closed for health reasons, etc
Applebees - Got dirt on a chicken sandwich once, and a moldy tomato slice
Village Inn - You know, good menu, crappy staff. Got a glass of water with a fly in the top of the ice. Told the server, came back, WITH THE SAME GLASS, SAME FLY, Just less water, like she tried to just drain the fly out... quality
Italian Moon - Start the whining, but I've gotten served cold chili, twice, bad produce, and chicken that was really low quality and tasted like it was reheated (via microwave).
Blue Moose - Never gotten a good meal there
Applebees EGF, mixed service there

Now place I do go to... a lot.
Rhombus Guys, Can't say enough nice things, awesome menu
BWW - Had 1 or 2 bad meals, but manager always made it right
Green Mill - Jim Bean wings are awesome, salads always great
Hardees - No seriously, they've gotten better and are pretty good consistently
Konnechiwa - Always great, expensive like Rhombus but worth it
Golden Coral, I've only been there 4 times, nothing great, but definitely palatable
Taco Bell on S Washington - Much better than 32nd ave.
5th floor - basically lunch everyday (do not eat at the terminal!)
Groceries at Hugos on 32nd Ave - The butchers know their stuff and the produce is consistently the best in town

As far as Red Pepper, not a fan, but I don't have anything against them. So, let the rumbling begin!

This place should be burned. Its a complete disgrace to sushi. Extremely low quality fish like you would find at Hugos, not sushi grade. Its worse than some of the worst sushi restaurants in California. Some of the other food is OK but I would not go there for sushi.

This place should be burned. Its a complete disgrace to sushi. Extremely low quality fish like you would find at Hugos, not sushi grade. Its worse than some of the worst sushi restaurants in California. Some of the other food is OK but I would not go there for sushi.

It was fine when I was there... Nothing special, but not terrible.

The disgrace to sushi is the crap they sell at the mall in the panda express or whatever it was. No wonder Nodaks hate sushi.

Well, my do not eat at list in Grand Forks include:
Great Wall Buffet - cold food, closed for health reasons, etc
Applebees - Got dirt on a chicken sandwich once, and a moldy tomato slice
Village Inn - You know, good menu, crappy staff. Got a glass of water with a fly in the top of the ice. Told the server, came back, WITH THE SAME GLASS, SAME FLY, Just less water, like she tried to just drain the fly out... quality
Italian Moon - Start the whining, but I've gotten served cold chili, twice, bad produce, and chicken that was really low quality and tasted like it was reheated (via microwave).
Blue Moose - Never gotten a good meal there
Applebees EGF, mixed service there

Now place I do go to... a lot.
Rhombus Guys, Can't say enough nice things, awesome menu
BWW - Had 1 or 2 bad meals, but manager always made it right
Green Mill - Jim Bean wings are awesome, salads always great
Hardees - No seriously, they've gotten better and are pretty good consistently
Golden Coral, I've only been there 4 times, nothing great, but definitely palatable
Taco Bell on S Washington - Much better than 32nd ave.
5th floor - basically lunch everyday (do not eat at the terminal!)
Groceries at Hugos on 32nd Ave - The butchers know their stuff and the produce is consistently the best in town

As far as Red Pepper, not a fan, but I don't have anything against them. So, let the rumbling begin!

I think you're spot on. GFK doesn't have the best food, but at least there are a few okay spots I guess.

Anyone been to Whiteys in EGF?

I realize that GFK is not California, I'm from around DC. I'm used to fresh seafood as well. What you have to realize is that the fish at Konnechiwa's is shipped from around the world and they do REALLY WELL considering that. I know it's not the same as same day fish, but you're in the BLOODY MIDDLE OF NORTH AMERICA. I don't even want to guess about the nearest ocean.

Do I wish food was like from around DC, well yeah. But besides Buffalo, Corn, Soy, and Sugar Beets, have you seen any other farms around here. Everything is shipped at least 1 day, and things like tomatoes are at least a week. So places like Wings Cafe with really great produce is really something special in GFK. If you want really great sushi... go to Tokyo! I did, it was awesome, but so is Konnechiwas.

Back