Airline Pilots for Obama

So how is Obama going to help airline pilots exactly?

I've heard some things, but no specifics.

Biggest thing that can help is a good labor secretary and a pro-labor NMB. Or hell, even a balanced NMB. The whole reason PCL hasn't been released yet (and ASA was mired in negotiations for 5 years) is b/c the NMB refuses to declare an impasse. They'd rather keep us at the table negotiating when there's obviously no give from either side or invent a status that doesn't exist....like "parked." There's really no guidelines for "parking" negotiations in the RLA.

hehe,
Im senior to Doug on that list ;)

I assume you are genuinely interested in learning why the Obama administration will benefit airline pilots.

ALPA did a survey of the 2 frontrunner candidates here are some excerpts:

Q: ...cabotage...law ensures that foreign airlines cannot operate in the U.S. domestic market while subject to foreign laws such as tax and labor laws. ... This law protects the U.S. airline industry from unfair competition.
Do you believe this policy should be: Relaxed; Maintained; Strengthened; Eliminated; Unsure
Barack Obama: Maintained. I support upholding current cabotage laws.

John McCain was offered the same ALPA questionnaire, but refused to answer it. He did however respond to a similar ALPA questionaire in 2000:

Q: Currently, U.S. law prohibits foreign interests from owning or controlling U.S. airlines. Do you believe this policy should be: Relaxed; Maintained; Strengthened; Eliminated; Unsure
John McCain: I believe that the U.S. policy on cabotage should be relaxed. Foreign airlines could provide much needed competition on domestic airline routes, which would result in lower fares for the benefit of consumers.

Obama 2008 ALPA survey

McCain 2000 ALPA survey (refused to answer 2008 survey)

Cheers
George

McCain is anti labor and supports foreign carriers flying domestically in the US.

The problem I have with Obama is he supports user fees. If the user fees would go 100% back to upgrade infrastructure I guess I would support it.

Well...funny you ask that.

Way back when, Joe Biden was a LOOOONG shot for the Delaware Senate Seat. ALPA had their PAC that they just started and one of the PACs first donations was to Joe Biden because of his stance on labor and pilot issues. That was 36 years ago.

According to the ALPA Lobbyists, Joe Biden NEVER forgot where he received an early boost of money and has been very loyal to ALPA issues.

Well...funny you ask that.

Way back when, Joe Biden was a LOOOONG shot for the Delaware Senate Seat. ALPA had their PAC that they just started and one of the PACs first donations was to Joe Biden because of his stance on labor and pilot issues. That was 36 years ago.

According to the ALPA Lobbyists, Joe Biden NEVER forgot where he received an early boost of money and has been very loyal to ALPA issues.

Nice to see. 'Old' politics and a little old fashioned bribery is most certainly the answer.

Nice to see. 'Old' politics and a little old fashioned bribery is most certainly the answer.

The PAC is the Political Action Committee. It goes to help politicians who value pilot issues.

I am sure the Pharmaceutical Companies and Medical Machine Manufacturers have their lobbyists as well.

What won't matter?

It won't matter if he establishes policies that seem to benefit your particular job or not. His plan to redistribute the wealth in this country will have negative effects on everyone with a job, and positive effects on everyone who doesn't.

It won't matter if he establishes policies that seem to benefit your particular job or not. His plan to redistribute the wealth in this country will have negative effects on everyone with a job, and positive effects on everyone who doesn't.
That's his plan? And everyone with a job will be negatively affected? And everyone without a job will be positively affected? Could it really be that simple?

That's his plan? And everyone with a job will be negatively affected? And everyone without a job will be positively affected? Could it really be that simple?

Of course that was hyperbole. However, I stand by my assessment: the redistribution of wealth will effect everyone. I believe that in general, working Americans will be negatively effected, regardless of the intent of the program. Giving "tax cuts" to people who don't pay taxes at the expense of those of us who do is nothing more than welfare by a different name.

The PAC is the Political Action Committee. It goes to help politicians who value pilot issues.

I am sure the Pharmaceutical Companies and Medical Machine Manufacturers have their lobbyists as well.

I know what a PAC is and does.

MDM do have lobbyists but, it doesn't mean it's the best political practices.

Back