Bose X vs Telex 850 ANR

Firebird2XC

Hey all.. year's end is coming and with that, income tax refunds.

My much-used and greatly abused Bose X headset has seen a good long run, but it's showing its age. Coupled with the fact that the 9V batteries just don't hold out (even the rechargeables), I'm thinking about a replacement.

The only real noise in the airplane I fly is wind noise from the cockpit. That makes the Telex 850 ANR a great candidate for an upgrade. It's full ANR, and it's panel powered. That's right- no batteries... and a very light profile.

Has anybody tried the Telex 850 ANR? I'd love some feedback on it. Better yet- has anybody tried the 850 after using the Bose X?

I appreciate anything anybody can tell me. Thanks!

I use the Telex 850, but have only used it in the CR9... Forget what you fly, ERJ?

I'm very happy with the set... I have never used the Bose X, but I used Flightcom Denali ANR's before I got the Telex's. The over-the-ear Denali's definitely blocked out more noise, even with the ANR turned off, but I didn't like how uncomfortable they were, especially after 8 hours of flying!

I really have no complaints with the Telex's, and would recommend them for anyone who flies the CR7/9. Haven't tried them in the -200, and I also hear the ERJ is quite a bit louder.

I used the Telex 750 with earplugs in the same jet you were in. In my mind, it worked incredibly, incredibly well. I think with how loud the EMB-135/140/145 series is, you need some massive ANR action going on, a headset actually plugged into your ear or quite possibly both.

With that, I'm not convinced that the Telex 850 has enough ANR power to keep your ears safe. It only has 12 db compared to your Bose's...well, something, I can't find the exact noise reduction on the thing, but it's WAY more than 12 db and remember that it's an exponential scale so the difference between 12 db and 40 db is HUGE.

If I were you, I'd honestly go after the Telex 750 with a pair of good, molded ear plugs that are comfortable to wear and just crank the audio panel. I don't know if anybody over at Eagle does that, but a lot of us at Express do exactly that and it's worked very well. You dump the wind noise, and can get the audio panel high enough so that you can hear properly. In fact ask Szluka about that one, he's tried a handful of different headsets and keeps coming back to the 750 with ear plugs.

Lots of guys used the Lightspeed Mach 1's and liked em, and I've seen a bunch of Clarity Aloft's too that people seemed to dig.

Heck, since I'm furloughed, will continue to be furloughed for a long time, and don't plan on coming back for a while, I'll give you a deal you can't refuse on the 750's. Merry Christmas...or festivus or whatever it is that you celebrate this time of year. Check your PM's.

I have the 850 and I love it. The no batteries part was the reason I picked it. It wont be as quiet as the Bose, but its pretty good. I love that its light-weight and I forget its on my head. I got it from headsetdr.com and had a rebate so paid like 370 for it. Good luck

I always hate flying with guys who wear the 850 and leave the hot mic on, those things sure can produce a bunch of hissssssssssssss.

Yeah? Yeah? Well I hate flying with you.

No... he's actually sort of fun to fly with, and probably even more so now that he's not on high mins and has to beg off the trip when the weather gets bad.

I've been using the 750 with out earplugs (except for a few planes that have nasty whistling noises) and find that my ears are still stressed at the end of a day. It's very odd, but when my ears get abused like that it shows up on the bottom of my feet in all sorts of nasty ways. So, I think I'll be getting myself a pair of the 850s shortly. All that said, the Canadian Lawn Dart is way quieter than the JungleJet so YMMV.

I have used the 850's, Zulu's and Bose in the cockpit of a Hawker700 which is very wind noise intense to say the least. The 850's work fine until you level in cruise and the windnoise is just too much.

I think I've flown a whopping 5 hours in the past month or two and won't be flying at all next month I might have to do some bounces in the sim to remain current.

And hate is such a strong word, I guess I should say I get very annoyed with the hissssssing. I think it's because my Sennheisers cut out a good majority of background noise, shoot I can even make out people's voices on the radio, especially ones who own a ROOOOOMMMMBA. :)

I used the Telex 750 with earplugs in the same jet you were in. In my mind, it worked incredibly, incredibly well. I think with how loud the EMB-135/140/145 series is, you need some massive ANR action going on, a headset actually plugged into your ear or quite possibly both.

With that, I'm not convinced that the Telex 850 has enough ANR power to keep your ears safe. It only has 12 db compared to your Bose's...well, something, I can't find the exact noise reduction on the thing, but it's WAY more than 12 db and remember that it's an exponential scale so the difference between 12 db and 40 db is HUGE.

This is one of the things that always tweaked me about Bose- they won't ante up how much of their noise reduction is passive and how much is active. The Bose may have higher ANR rating, but the external PNR boost from having actual earmuffs may make the difference.

My hearing's already a little spotty in a crowd to begin with, what with helicopter turbines, gearboxes, and mortar rounds landing nearby... so I'm keen to protect what I have.

I've done the earplugs/earphone combo. I'm not really certain I care for earplugs that much. Then again, I might just try it.

Hmm.. Food for thought, indeed. Ear plugs, unlike batteries, are free.

Actually, I read your PM before I read this email. You've changed my mind. PM sent.

Used the Telex 850 ANR in the ERJ and it was pretty terrible. The wind noise is too much. It still required earplugs so you might save the money and get the 750...end result is the same. I eventually got the Clarity Aloft (Pro Version since XJT requires a TSO'd headset) and never looked back. It's great all the way around. I'll also add that their customer service is second to none.

Here's a thought...

Send the Bose X's back to Bose... ask them to update the battery pack. It will cost far less than a new ANR headset and the new battery pack replacement means your entire cordset, battery pack/controller, and mic will be replaced since it's all one unit. In addition to that, they typically replace the leather earmuffs, and sheepskin for free on any service item. Also, if your side arm brackets are cracked (a common problem on older X's) then they will replace those for free as well with newer beefy ones.

In short... you'll have a practically new headset that runs on AA's that lasts probably 3-4 times longer than your current 9V pack does now (I probably go 2+ months on the ERJ before replacing my batteries)... and you'll have it at a fraction of the cost. Heck... you never know... they may just do it for free.

Even if they don't, and you have to spend some bucks for the upgrade... you can then sell your "factory refurbished" headsets for $600+ on ebay.

What do ya think?

Bose Aviation X Customer Service: 1-800-233-4416

Bob

Firebird -

Telex 750 with earplugs in the ERJ works well as others have said. If you don't mind the earplugs, save yourself hundreds of dollars and do that.

Firebird -

Telex 750 with earplugs in the ERJ works well as others have said. If you don't mind the earplugs, save yourself hundreds of dollars and do that.

I'm on it. I'll give this a shake. If earplugs and the phones in my flight helmet worked in the Army, they'll work here, too. :)

Here's a thought...

Send the Bose X's back to Bose... ask them to update the battery pack. It will cost far less than a new ANR headset and the new battery pack replacement means your entire cordset, battery pack/controller, and mic will be replaced since it's all one unit. In addition to that, they typically replace the leather earmuffs, and sheepskin for free on any service item. Also, if your side arm brackets are cracked (a common problem on older X's) then they will replace those for free as well with newer beefy ones.

In short... you'll have a practically new headset that runs on AA's that lasts probably 3-4 times longer than your current 9V pack does now (I probably go 2+ months on the ERJ before replacing my batteries)... and you'll have it at a fraction of the cost. Heck... you never know... they may just do it for free.

Even if they don't, and you have to spend some bucks for the upgrade... you can then sell your "factory refurbished" headsets for $600+ on ebay.

What do ya think?

Bose Aviation X Customer Service: 1-800-233-4416

Bob

I called them today. Because of the Headset being out of warranty, they essentially told me I'd have to pay for refurbishment.

Total cost of refurbishment + mic boom/cable replacement - core charge?

$300.

If they're going to charge me nearly enough to buy a Telex 850, I'd just as likely buy a Telex 850.

It's disgustingly loud in an ERJ-145 as is. No reason to pay out the nose for it in the meantime.

If I DO refab my Bose X, it'll be to turn around and sell it on Ebay, then buy an 850.

In the interim, JTrain's selling me his old 750s. I'm gonna try those with a headset for a while and see how it works out. Seems like that's what really works best for most folks.

Copy that...

I do have a spare AA controller/mic/cordset laying around if you want to try it out.

There's a story behind it... but it's new, and yours if you want. Let me know.

Bob

Used the Telex 850 ANR in the ERJ and it was pretty terrible. The wind noise is too much. It still required earplugs so you might save the money and get the 750...end result is the same. I eventually got the Clarity Aloft (Pro Version since XJT requires a TSO'd headset) and never looked back. It's great all the way around. I'll also add that their customer service is second to none.

I eyeballed this job, and was kinda amused. It's the CEP setup we had in the Army. Just a headset with foam earplug bugs. Add a mic and you get the Clarity Aloft. I can't imagine why it costs $700.

Back