Bose X vs Telex 850 ANR

DO NOT USE THE 850 IN THE E145! You will still need earplugs. The 750 with plugs is best. Below 10,000 you can take the plugs out and it is very comfortable.

DO NOT USE THE 850 IN THE E145! You will still need earplugs. The 750 with plugs is best. Below 10,000 you can take the plugs out and it is very comfortable.

What about in the B737??? Southwest is issuing a Telex 850 to each of their pilots in January...

Maybe you could borrow one.

Don't buy a Telex. The pilot you fly with will appreciate it. If you do buy a telex, turn off the hot mic. I don't enjoy hearing the passenger in 7A sneezing along with all the wind in a 3 state radius hissing that the boom mics on all the Telex headsets seem to pick up. They seem nice tho.

Don't buy a Telex. The pilot you fly with will appreciate it. If you do buy a telex, turn off the hot mic. I don't enjoy hearing the passenger in 7A sneezing along with all the wind in a 3 state radius hissing that the boom mics on all the Telex headsets seem to pick up. They seem nice tho.

Another vote against an 850. Bose X mics seems to really hiss when the hot mic is on, too. Most pilots and myself seem to flip the switch on and off when we wanna say something.

It feels like old times. In the Blackhawk, our ICS system switches were spring loaded to return to the off position. If somebody left their mic keyed or had their Hot Mic pic switch up, somebody would always say something about it.

Compared to the Hawk the ERJ is quiet. Weird, eh?

What? I can't hear you from the years in the tweet and tanker. Hold on lemme turn the interphone up... What's all that damn hissing? It's not so bad in the Q but still annoying. I could not imagine what posessed people to wear a Telex in the Saab. I guess they like pain.

First, when I flew the 145 I always turned off my mic when I wasn't talking. I also preferred for the guy next to me to turn off their mic regardless of what brand they were wearing. I just hated listening to them breath or chew gum.

But, as far as wind noise goes with the Telex headset, if you turn the mic gain down (little screw next to the boom) it will be quieter than a DC. Plus, the headset won't mess up your hair.

Good to know, I will pass that info on to my FO this week who wears one...

That little screw is recessed right behind where the boom connects to the headset. It turns continuously so you have to be wearing it and keying the mic at the same time as you turn the screw so you can hear the noise level change. An eyeglass screwdriver will work fine.

Hey all.. year's end is coming and with that, income tax refunds.

My much-used and greatly abused Bose X headset has seen a good long run, but it's showing its age. Coupled with the fact that the 9V batteries just don't hold out (even the rechargeables), I'm thinking about a replacement.

The only real noise in the airplane I fly is wind noise from the cockpit. That makes the Telex 850 ANR a great candidate for an upgrade. It's full ANR, and it's panel powered. That's right- no batteries... and a very light profile.

Has anybody tried the Telex 850 ANR? I'd love some feedback on it. Better yet- has anybody tried the 850 after using the Bose X?

I appreciate anything anybody can tell me. Thanks!

Where did you find rechargable 9V? I have been looking all over. Who makes them?

Where did you find rechargable 9V? I have been looking all over. Who makes them?

Energizer. You can get them at Best Buy, or on Ebay, if ya like.

The 'family charger' that'll do 9V is about the size of a shoe. I've been lugging that around with two 9V rechargeables because my variant of the Bose X eats batteries. I get about a day to a day and a half out of one of them.

Back