Pucker Factor

MusketeerMan

Flew into Key West yesterday and definitely experienced a good amount of pucker factor (4800 ' long). It was my leg and nice knowing I could "plant" it and not have to apologize later!

Started the day in Montreal (7 degrees) and 3 legs later were in Key West (75 degrees). Unfortunately we had to leave...though we start layovers there in January!!

I was told that Eastern used to take 727's into Key West..is that true? The weight restriction out of there in that must have been pretty extreme. We were limited to about 75 out of there, can't imagine what theirs was.

Oh man, I thought by the title of the thread you were talking about kisses! Silly me!

4,800 is short for a jet of that size, that's for sure, but doable. I think those kinds of runways were fun to land on :)

4,800 is short for a jet of that size, that's for sure, but doable. I think those kinds of runways were fun to land on :)

It was definitely fun to land on...first time for me to land on anything shorter than 33 in DCA, so I was picturing a lot shorter than it was after the fact, but still fun. The 20 knot direct xwind added some fun!

Flew into Key West yesterday and definitely experienced a good amount of pucker factor (4800 ' long). It was my leg and nice knowing I could "plant" it and not have to apologize later!

Started the day in Montreal (7 degrees) and 3 legs later were in Key West (75 degrees). Unfortunately we had to leave...though we start layovers there in January!!

I was told that Eastern used to take 727's into Key West..is that true? The weight restriction out of there in that must have been pretty extreme. We were limited to about 75 out of there, can't imagine what theirs was.
Yes, Eastern flew 72's into EYW.

http://www.floridamemory.com/Photog...dos.state.fl.us/cmcdonald/cm0505.jpg&IMGTEXT=[Boeing%20727%20preparing%20to%20land%20on%20Key%20West%20International%20Airport%205200%20foot%20runway%20:%20Key%20West,%20Florida]%20[graphic]&IMGTITLE=CM0505

I guess you guys took that route from ASA? They got it from Comair a while back. We used to do it in a CRJ 700.

Yes, Eastern flew 72's into EYW.

http://www.floridamemory.com/Photog...dos.state.fl.us/cmcdonald/cm0505.jpg&IMGTEXT=[Boeing%20727%20preparing%20to%20land%20on%20Key%20West%20International%20Airport%205200%20foot%20runway%20:%20Key%20West,%20Florida]%20[graphic]&IMGTITLE=CM0505

I guess you guys took that route from ASA? They got it from Comair a while back. We used to do it in a CRJ 700.

I doubt we took it from ASA considering they were there the same time we were with a -700. (We also don't fly for Delta, so we can't really "take" it from them. We're Airways).

It's cheating if you have slats going in there.

E135/145 at rwy limit weight on a hot day. Good gawd you hope the AE3007 doesn't handgrenade around V1.

Never got to take the EJet in there, but it woulda been fun.

Are you an FO? They let FO's land on runways that short at Chau-shuttle-public?

It's different each certificate. I'm on the "public" cert and we can land on any runway, though we "technically" can't do flaps 4 takeoffs, though that's about to change. Chaut may have something where it's a CA only runway, but not sure about that...

E135/145 at rwy limit weight on a hot day. Good gawd you hope the AE3007 doesn't handgrenade around V1.

Never got to take the EJet in there, but it woulda been fun.

Slats are great!! After takeoff, we were laughing because V1 is kind of a joke there. With a flaps 4 takeoff, our V1 was 115 and if something would have happened around 100 knots, we're still in the sand. As it was, we still rotated on/right after the 1000' markers on the other end. Fun experience for sure.

No kidding. Going in there in the CRJ with no slats was pretty interesting. Although the landing part wasn't ever too bad, just the take off.

And no, they didn't "take" the flying from ASA, they "took" it from AWAC who "took" it from PSA.

No kidding. Going in there in the CRJ with no slats was pretty interesting. Although the landing part wasn't ever too bad, just the take off.

And no, they didn't "take" the flying from ASA, they "took" it from AWAC who "took" it from PSA.

Technically I think we bought it from PSA.

I doubt we took it from ASA considering they were there the same time we were with a -700. (We also don't fly for Delta, so we can't really "take" it from them. We're Airways).
Cool, I just figured it was one of the E170's that Chishupublic was flying for Delter now. Where did the flight originate?

Slats are great!! After takeoff, we were laughing because V1 is kind of a joke there. With a flaps 4 takeoff, our V1 was 115 and if something would have happened around 100 knots, we're still in the sand. As it was, we still rotated on/right after the 1000' markers on the other end. Fun experience for sure.

You'd be surprised how good the book numbers are. You can stop the 170 right quick. Ask your sim doctor to set you up for that next visit to the sim.

FWIW, if I blew a motor at 100 with a V1 of 115, I have the utmost confidence it'd stop. The performance numbers generated at RAH are very good compared with alot of other vendors out there.

No kidding, CLT to Key West.. I wish we did that route. Sounds fun.

I think the shortest I've done is KSNA in the CR9 (5700'), and KPHL RWY 26 in the CR2 (5000').

I bet 4800' seemed short, although it seems that with flaps 4 you can have much better short field performance than we do in the -900.

Back