Great Lakes Lateral?

TheOneMarine

Most of you know I am furloughed from PSA along with a lot of other pilots here. I applied to Great Lakes two weeks ago and today recieved the interview invite. I know the pay sucks, and the work rules suck but the upgrade is fast and the flight time is huge. PSA is in a position where the potential for me to be furloughed for a long time exists. Would anyone here consider going to lakes? Thanks guys, I really don't know what to do.

Florida, right?

I have thought about Lakes, too, because of STL, but it sounds like the only base option is Denver. I am on the Gulf coast and think the commute would be hard. With that said, I would LOVE to go back to MKE and fly to the U.P. again.

Florida, right?

I have thought about Lakes, too, because of STL, but it sounds like the only base option is Denver. I am on the Gulf coast and think the commute would be hard. With that said, I would LOVE to go back to MKE and fly to the U.P. again.

I'm in Orlando. SWA has a few if I wanted to commute eventually. Excuse my ignorance but what is U.P.?

Florida, right?

The 1900Ds that Lakes runs through MKE never seem to stay working. Always down with Mx probs and they cancel way too many flights. Also the crews are pulled from the STL base and you get nothing at MKE but a chair at the gate, not even a SIDA badge.

Last winter was considered "light" with only 155 inches of snow (at one spot in the U.P.) by February.

No GPS? No prob. "Fly heading 190 West Bend when able." Good times. :rawk:

I can't imagine the upgrade is that fast the way things are now. APC says March of '08 for the most junior ca. The get your time and move on theory only works if there is somewhere to move on to. You don't get paid during training over there and I believe you have a one year contract you have to pay back if you get recalled. Combine that with the low pay I'd say look else where, but thats just my opinion. You have to do what ever you feel is right and you can live with.

I can't imagine the upgrade is that fast the way things are now. APC says March of '08 for the most junior ca. The get your time and move on theory only works if there is somewhere to move on to. You don't get paid during training over there and I believe you have a one year contract you have to pay back if you get recalled. Combine that with the low pay I'd say look else where, but thats just my opinion. You have to do what ever you feel is right and you can live with.

I know, thats where the Russian roulet comes in. Do I pull the trigger and get burned if PSA calls sooner than later or does it pay off if they upgrade quick and I go better from there. Thats why I'm on the fence about it.

I know, thats where the Russian roulet comes in. Do I pull the trigger and get burned if PSA calls sooner than later or does it pay off if they upgrade quick and I go better from there. Thats why I'm on the fence about it.
I don't know what your times are have you thrown in a res at XJ? (Mesaba) The new ATL base this spring should end up going really junior and that should be a fairly easy commute.

Or have you looked for 135 jobs make some cash in the mean time? Like flight express or who ever does your bank work in FL. and or Mountain Air Cargo Fly the van make good money then move over to the ATR and get your 121 PIC. They are hiring.

I don't know what your times are have you thrown in a res at XJ? (Mesaba) The new ATL base this spring should end up going really junior and that should be a fairly easy commute.

Or have you looked for 135 jobs make some cash in the mean time? Like flight express or who ever does your bank work in FL.

Not near the times. Been looking for something CFI'ing but its been hard to come by. If a CFI gig came up before the Lakes thing would happen, I'd definately CFI instead. 620/115 are my times. I applied to Mesaba about 3 weeks ago. Still nothing. I'm sure with 10,000 peoples resumes in there It'll either be awhile or never as there has to be a ton with more time than me. Bad days all around. I just want to get back to flying.

ORL to Den is probably not going to work unless you're fine with going back home about 30 hours per week. You're going to have to move to Den for any kind of QOL and commit to GLA since they have that 15 month contract. Isn't there a lot of 135 flying around FL?

Last winter was considered "light" with only 155 inches of snow (at one spot in the U.P.) by February.

No GPS? No prob. "Fly heading 190 West Bend when able." Good times. :rawk:

I grew up about halfway up the thumb (30 miles north of Flint, 30 miles east of Saginaw) and I thought I knew what snow was.

Then I went to college in Kalamazoo on the west side and REALLY thought I knew what snow was, what with Kalamazoo getting 120 inches a year!

The part of Utah I live in now gets 500 inches plus per year. I now finally know what real snowfall is :)

Not near the times. Been looking for something CFI'ing but its been hard to come by. If a CFI gig came up before the Lakes thing would happen, I'd definately CFI instead. 620/115 are my times. I applied to Mesaba about 3 weeks ago. Still nothing. I'm sure with 10,000 peoples resumes in there It'll either be awhile or never as there has to be a ton with more time than me. Bad days all around. I just want to get back to flying.

I already replied on APC. But thought i'd add that Mesaba is taking about 6 weeks to get an interview. Although i had a bad experience with them for some reason...:rolleyes:
And there are a couple flight schools near Daytona that are "supposedly" hiring very soon.

I would say go interview. If they hire you, then you can decide. It wouldn't hurt to go and see what happens.

Something to consider though - I've heard that they make you pay your own way to get out to DEN for the interview. Any truth to this? Do they provide hotel during training, or are you on your own there too?

I would say go interview. If they hire you, then you can decide. It wouldn't hurt to go and see what happens.

Something to consider though - I've heard that they make you pay your own way to get out to DEN for the interview. Any truth to this? Do they provide hotel during training, or are you on your own there too?

I think that is what is going to kill it. No pay during training, I'd have to pay to go to the interview and I'd have to pay for a hotel during training. That's a little much for a job that's $16/hr. I don't know. Just seems like it wouldn't be worth it, and thats where the problem is.

Trackpilot, what problems did you have? It has been about a month since I applied to Mesaba.

Ray, this is going to be my one piece of advice on all this.

Lakes is NOT a bad place. The people are good. They fly interesting places and if the industry is moving the way it is supposed to, you will upgrade quickly.

That said, your time at PSA will seem like a cake walk compared to how you will be worked and treated over there.

Take that for what it's worth.

Trackpilot, what problems did you have? It has been about a month since I applied to Mesaba.

Not sure. The interview went AWESOME IMO. But i wasn't offered the job.:confused: Same thing happened to a couple other guys i know as well.

Oh and ignore what i said about those flight schools hiring. Looks like that's been put on hold for another month or two...

Ray, this is going to be my one piece of advice on all this.

Lakes is NOT a bad place. The people are good. They fly interesting places and if the industry is moving the way it is supposed to, you will upgrade quickly.

That said, your time at PSA will seem like a cake walk compared to how you will be worked and treated over there.

Take that for what it's worth.

I hate you so much Ethan :rolleyes:. Anyways, after some thinking, (And the wife telling me how crazy it is to train for free) I think it's going to cost me more going than just waiting for something better or for recall. Stupid industry and its crap-shoot, guess we'll see whats next on the 121 express.

Back