Cessna 310 rental

Flight81

OO BRO FO
My flight school is looking into getting a CE-310 or Aztec for a multi trainer. I have been taksed with tracking down rental costs and costs associated with the rental fees. If any of you guys instruct at schools that have either of these, or know of a school that does instruction in either of these please let me know. It would be a big help! thanks!

My flight school is looking into getting a CE-310 or Aztec for a multi trainer. I have been taksed with tracking down rental costs and costs associated with the rental fees. If any of you guys instruct at schools that have either of these, or know of a school that does instruction in either of these please let me know. It would be a big help! thanks!

I am not sure I would go with a 310 or Aztec for training. High maintenance costs, fuel burn, and insurance go along with those two aircraft. I did a lot of research when looking at which aircraft I wanted my flight school to operate. It came down to the Twin Comanche, Seminole, and Duchess. There happens to be a lot more Twinkies out there to choose from.

Michael

While I might agree, the owners (which isn't me) have hard to pass options on those two aircraft. It's what they want. And really, I would like to instruct in the 310 anyhow. It's closer to a mid sized twin plus I already have like 135 hours in a seminole. (Yes, I was one of THOSE ATP guy's). But in the end, the owners have made up their minds on the two options.

While I might agree, the owners (which isn't me) have hard to pass options on those two aircraft. It's what they want. And really, I would like to instruct in the 310 anyhow. It's closer to a mid sized twin plus I already have like 135 hours in a seminole. (Yes, I was one of THOSE ATP guy's). But in the end, the owners have made up their minds on the two options.

Well, I guess they have been warned. :eek:

The 310 is a great personal airplane. It even works in a 135 environment. But flight schools, not so much. Tell them good luck!

I am not sure I would go with a 310 or Aztec for training. High maintenance costs, fuel burn, and insurance go along with those two aircraft. I did a lot of research when looking at which aircraft I wanted my flight school to operate. It came down to the Twin Comanche, Seminole, and Duchess. There happens to be a lot more Twinkies out there to choose from.

Michael

:yeahthat:

It if you are not looking to use the aircraft for charter as well as training, it will be tough to make this airplane profitable. Especially hard if you have another flight school in the area with a Seminole. They will be able to under cut you big time.
I hate the seminole, but it is relatively cheap to operate.

but to answer your question.
My buddy's flight school had an Aztec on the line, it was $215/hour wet (which is an amazing deal). This was the price as of march 2008, as gas went up, it was scheduled to raise in price five dollars every month to off set fuel costs.
The airplane was based in the midwest (extremely cheap flying). i.e. my flight school has a seminole for 230/hour wet. There is a baron in the neighborhood for 300/hour wet.

The aztec is going to fly the rest of the 100 hour off then go for scrap.
It is done dealing.

It is hard to make money with them if you are looking for only training.

Good luck

310 doesn't take abuse well. The Aztec, well, is an Aztec. Both horrible choices, IMO. I would probably go with the 310, though.

I did my multi-initial in a 310, have about 50hrs in them, and find them to be great aircraft. That being said, if you come down too hard on that long spindly nosegear you're going to find yourself in a very uncomfortable position. If you're going to use one as your trainer make darn sure your MEI's are up to the task. As far as the going rate, 310s don't exactly sip fuel so I'd bet you'll have to set the price around $250 wet/hr.

Over a year ago the school where I worked charged $250/hour for a 310. Figure about $125-150/hour in gas alone. Add maintenance, instructor, insurance... probably looking at $250-$300/hour.

The Aztec at my flight school was $215/hr. wet. It had no issues either. I don't understand why everyone says it is a worthless airplane. Its useful load would probably allow it to hold a 310 inside. Anyways, it was getting a little old, and not that many students used it so it was a cheap rental. It was also on our 135 certificate and I never heard anyone complain about it. Solid plane as far as I'm concerned.

Solid plane as far as I'm concerned.

The Aztruck is a great plane! I have over 100 hours in one and let me tell you, it will haul anything! The only problems, with flight training anyways, is that your not going to be hauling anything, so its worthless for its useful load. When I first got in one, coming from a Seminole, it was VERY heavy on the controls, but easier as you flew it more. It takes time to get used to it, and especially with 250hp a side, that's some power for a first time multi-student if they've never flown a HP airplane. Just make sure you have brakes on both sides! Mine only had breaks on the left. Ours burned 20-25GPH per side so that'll make it pricey, and for a trainer, that nose wheel will take some abuse, as soon as you touch down, you have to be quick on your toes to keep that nose wheel from smashing down.

I haven't flown the Aztec at my flight school, but from what I can see it is a great airplane to fly. Thing is that when something break on it, it is a very expensive bill. I think the owner has spent over $20k on the thing in repairs since he got it a couple years ago.

A nearby flight school/ competitor decided to use their charter 310 for rental/training. They called it the $310 for the 310 deal. They also decided to not pay their MEI's to keep the cost down for students and figured the instructors would not care because it is 310 time. Surprisingly students and instructors still lined up to rent/instruct in it...

And the bar gets dragged down another notch.....
Meanwhile, my neighbor's high maintenance wife gets 50/hr to teach aerobics.

my neighbor's high maintenance wife gets 50/hr to teach aerobics.
Aerobics...talk about a waste of time and money...Take a look at the vast majority of women who take aerobics classes after work: do they ever transform their physiques? Rarely.

We charge $265 an hour wet for a 310Q model for what its worth. It has high restrictions for solo however.

Kraig

A nearby flight school/ competitor decided to use their charter 310 for rental/training. They called it the $310 for the 310 deal. They also decided to not pay their MEI's to keep the cost down for students and figured the instructors would not care because it is 310 time. Surprisingly students and instructors still lined up to rent/instruct in it...
Why is 310 time more valuable than any other multi-time? I've flown everything under the sun and two fans still behave like two fans no matter if its a 310 or a King Air.

The school I instruct at has an Aztec. It's an older one, a D model. We have really never had any problems with it. It flies great, but is a little heavy on the controls until you are used to it. We rent it wet for $250/hr. I flew an F model for a local company over the summer & it was great. It will haul about anything you put it in. The only complaint I have regarding the "Truck" as a trainer is it's too easy to fly single engine. I know it sounds a little bizarre but some students have trouble grasping single engine concepts because it performs so well SE. Even in the summer w/ a high density alt it performs great.

Back