"Hired", But No Start Date

Girzup

I interviewed for a CFI position in October, and was told that I would be in the November standardization class. After several weeks of inquiring when that class would start, I received the impersonal form email stating that there will be no standardization class until the weak student load improves. Given the current state of the economy, I don't forsee many Part 141 students signing up for high ticket flight training.

While interviewing, I kept asking if there were going to be enough new students to justify hiring so many CFI's given that the economy was deteriorating rapidly at that time. The answer that I was consistently given by management back in October was that there were many new students arriving and they needed to hire several more CFI's. They expected to have a monthly standardization class scheduled through December, and maybe even into January.

I'm just wondering how many other CFI's were "hired", then gave notice at their current job, only to find out last week that there is no job at FSA.

I've heard of a few out of state CFI's who moved down to Florida expecting to have a job after being told that they were "hired". I myself gave notice, and began my journey down to Vero from Upstate New York.

Currently, I'm in Kansas working on an accelerated ME and MEI, so it actually works to my advantage that I don't have to be in Florida anytime soon. It would be nicer to know if the "job" will ever materialize. I feel for the people who gave up a steady job and moved cross country only to find they don't have the job they thought was assured.

Does anyone know if they are still interviewing CFI's, and if so, what are they saying about standarization dates?

Any thoughts or insights as to what the hiring projections are would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat with you, so there are 2 of us.

I don't know anything but I HOPE they will be bringing us on sometime around the beginning of the new year, I can probably ride it out until then, maybe. I know I have started sending out my resume like crazy though, I am willing to move wherever, so if something else comes along, I'm in.

December 8th is the date.

Is that date for all new hires or just for ones coming out of FSA's CFI program?

"I feel for the people who gave up a steady job and moved cross country only to find they don't have the job they thought was assured."

You aren't actually hired until Standardization is complete. After the interview you are given a conditional offer of employment that is dependent on your performance in standardization. Sorry about the class being canceled, it definitely sucks. We've got a lot more contracts coming in, so hopefully standardization will pick back up in the new year. Good luck!

^Believe me, no one (at least no one I've talked to) came back from their interview and didn't think they weren't starting a new job on the 17th (or earlier) of November with FSA. Heck, I was told to go purchase my uniforms, which I did and pick up the instructor issue, which I did.

I know I didn't use the last month to look for some of the other fast filling CFI jobs in Florida, I was just waiting on the 17th and then wasn't told otherwise until last week. At least I'm well prepared now if they ever do bring us on.

Also, if anyone can confirm the date on the 8th as well, would that be for just FSA graduates?

Jeff... your not missing out on the jobs in FL, or GA, or AZ, or CA. I looked at their websites and saw "we are hiring" then called and got the yeah not so much. Envery one keeps saying around Jan or Feb...I am still lookin... hell I put in an application with Tampa General Hospital for a security guard position...still no reply! Good luck to you. Hey do you know where my wallet is?

I have heard from alot of people that there will be no more outside cfi's but that could just be rumors....

I have heard from alot of people that there will be no more outside cfi's but that could just be rumors....

I just spoke to Connie to confirm the alleged December 8 class date as well as the above comment that no outside CFI's will be hired. She said there are 10 people on the list of qualified CFI's, and they are not interviewing any more CFI's. Connie insists that she has no knowledge of any standardization class- and she's in the loop. Where is this information coming from? Does anyone here have a solid relationship with with someone in senior management? After all, they are the ones who know what is really happening at FSA in terms of projected student numbers, possible contract cancellations, and all the other issues that are having a negative impact on their business.

Surely, management is struggling with these issues and they are hesitant to disclose what may be a very bad situation. However, this is exactly what I was concerned might happen even before I interviewed, but was told by everyone in management that it just would not, could not ever happen...

Now I wish I had joined the standardization class starting the day after I flew down from New York to interview. I also wish I hadn't resigned my steady CFII job to be ready to jump into a November class.

Good luck to all of you on the waiting list, and Happy Thanksgiving, FSA!

I don't know if we'll be hiring more CFI's, however Dec 8th is a confirmed date.

I don't know if we'll be hiring more CFI's, however Dec 8th is a confirmed date.

Blizzue, do you know what is confirmed for that date? Is it a new hire class, MEI or what? I just met with a very high level FSI manager a few minutes ago, and he told me that "they are not going to be hiring any CFI's in Vero Beach until they get more students, and that probably won't happen until January or February."

Maybe they set that date a few weeks ago thinking things will get better... who knows.

^I Hope so, I just find it strange that Connie hasn't told any of us on their list about this. I'm praying hard that I get a phone call next week!

We aren't taking any more applications until after Jan. If you've been 'hired' you should be ok.

Well, it's Monday and I still haven't heard a thing. I guess I will call and ask them in a little bit to see if anything is for certain on the Monday start for single engine standz. I am really keeping my fingers crossed!

Surprise Surpise, Connie said she knows NOTHING about a standardization date for December 8th! This is a big let down for me, I can't afford to move anywhere now, looks like I might be working outside of aviation for a while unless something changes. :banghead:

Back