how to properly dispose of fuel?

fisher37

what do you guys to with the fuel left over from the sumps if there isnt enough room in the tanks? i dont really want to just pour it all over the wing...any reconmendations? ps..i cant spell dont laugh at me

Some airports allegedly provide containers to dispose of fuel samples. However, I've never seen one that provides them.

If it's jet fuel (I see a turbine-powered plane in your avatar) I dump it in the fuel tank of my Jetta.

lol..well there is no 'provided' fuel dump area around..and i dont have a jetta, or jet fuel...just 100LL lol

what do you guys to with the fuel left over from the sumps if there isnt enough room in the tanks? i dont really want to just pour it all over the wing...any reconmendations? ps..i cant spell dont laugh at me

um...dump it on the tarmac?...just not in the grass...I know it's looked down upon but even sporty's says if there's no dump just pour it out...not saying it's right.

Well if it is early in the morning drink it. If not, then toss it on the ground. I know there is the potential for hazards so try to be smart in the way you dispose. I'm sure I will be torn apart for this.

yeah..i did that..apartently the FAA doesnt think too highly of this, or so i've been told...

This is how I usually handle it. Of course when you pee it's all going back into the ground anyways.

IMG_1339.jpg

This is how I usually handle it. Of course when you pee it's all going back into the ground anyways.

IMG_1339.jpg

hahaha...i think i'll just keep throwing it on the ground when theres not any room...i think the school would rather us take care of their airplanes by not pouring the fuel all over the wings...well i would atleast.

Ask someone there should be a sump bucket somewhere. I teach my students not to dump it on the ground. But, we have a sump container on the tarmac that we can dump it into.

Also- if the sump is clean put it back into the tank!

If it came out of the fuel tank then there should be room to pour it back in!

If it's clean and has no problems then then we have be trained to pour it back into the tank.

They told us there is a $250,000 fine if we are caught throwing it on the ground. I don't know if that is true.

I dont put the fuel back into the tanks.

I look for cracks in the tarmac with grass growing in them and put the fuel on the grass (weeds).

If it's clean and has no problems then then we have be trained to pour it back into the tank.

They told us there is a $250,000 fine if we are caught throwing it on the ground. I don't know if that is true.

I don't know if they were charged the 205k, but at a flight school near me the FAA made an example out of the instructors who had been pouring fuel in the grass. The flight school got slammed pretty bad, and needless to say every ramp now has several fuel disposal containers.

I always find it quite interesting that a 172 pilot gets whacked with a fine for dumping .0003 ounces of 100LL on the ground. On the other hand, take a short ride over to the jet aircraft line and notice all the antiquated kerosene burners that have a mirrored outline of the fuselage and wings on the tarmac from all the fuel that leaked out of the tanks during its overnight sit.

During my first lesson...

ME: "Okay, the fuel is the right color and there's no water or sediment. What do I do with it now?"
CFI: "Well, if there's a bucket for it, put it there."
ME: "There's no bucket."
CFI: "Right. So you look in all directions and make sure the FAA or EPA isn't standing around, and scatter it with the wind onto the ramp."

I had a boss when I worked line service who used to have us take all the daily sumps (from the aircraft and from the farm) and put them through a little strainer/funnel into his Stinson a couple times a week. Not "proper" though I never heard of him having any problems. His reasoning was that the fuel goes through enough filters as it is, with a couple more before it reaches the engine. I would say this is probably the Jon Wayne attitude, and we always were careful about what we actually put in the tanks (he actually was a really good guy and none of us wanted to give him anymore off-field landing experience than he already had), but his confidence was never proven wrong at least :)

If he flew a Stinson he has the right to be a "John Wayne". BTW: I owned a Stinson. Gid yup

The EPA is on it's way boys. So far most aprts are lucky the regs haven't been enforced. But they will be, probably soon. And it don't matter a hill of beans that one lil ol 121 puddle jumper spills more than a whole fleet of spam cans.

I was told the same thing at the school I'm currently attending, but back when I flew at home I was told it was alright. Then again, I was told when I worked ramp that it shouldn't be poured onto the asphalt, but could be poured elsewhere. :crazy:

If it's clean, I put it back in my tanks. If it's dirty I'll put it in the containers if they're provided, otherwise I dump it somewhere where it won't become a hazard.

Back