how to properly dispose of fuel?

What do you mean, "somewhere where it won't become a hazard"? As far as the FBOs, aprt mgr, EPA, local, state, feds, are concerned, anytime it is not in the tanks it is a hazardous substance.

What is the nature of your concern that sumped fuel not be a hazard?

what do you guys to with the fuel left over from the sumps if there isnt enough room in the tanks? i dont really want to just pour it all over the wing...any reconmendations? ps..i cant spell dont laugh at me

Chuck it downwind.

On my CFI checkride, I just kind of danced there with the strainer in my hand. The examiner knew I had no clue what to do, then he said, "just dump it on the ramp".
aye aye.

I have never done anything else personally (w/ my aircraft that is) other than dumping it out on the ramp. I have no doubt that it poses a minor environmental hazard, but there just isn't any reasonably convenient method of disposal at most airports I have been to. As for fire hazard, I guess 100LL in a large enough amount in the right ambient conditions could conceivably be dangerous provided a very immediate open flame. Jet A really not so much.....unless you had a really intense source of heat, more than that of a match or standard lighter (I once spent 20 minutes trying in vain to light off a cup of Jet A with a cigarette lighter). I remember at my old job, we had a Conquest that had a sticky fuel sump on one of the wings, and when we refueled it over-wing, you occasionally would hear a faint hissing and look under the wing to realize that there were now ~ 2 gallons of jet fuel pooling on the ground. Great airplane but it had its quirks :)

I know this doesn't help much but I just think it's interesting.

My dad taught me most of what I knew up to my private, and when he started flying they didn't even check the sump. (In a 172) they'd just pull the sump release handle, and drain it for 3 seconds on the ground, figuring any containments would be gone.

My dad taught me most of what I knew up to my private, and when he started flying they didn't even check the sump. (In a 172) they'd just pull the sump release handle, and drain it for 3 seconds on the ground, figuring any containments would be gone.

Still in practice by everybody i know.

Sure, climb up on the wing and put the sump fuel back in the tank but then dump the gascolator fuel on the ground. Doesn't make sense. In Florida we would toss it up in the air and it would evaporate before it hit the ground, that's our story and we're sticking to it.

I can't think of a good way of checking the fuel from the strainer short of putting a bucket under there, particularly with an older Cessna. So I was always taught the same, just let it "pee" for a few seconds, that it being the lowest point in the fuel system that any crud would find its way out with some help from gravity.

Newer 172R and S models use the same quick drains as found on the wings, making it less of a challenge.

I asked a FAA inspector what to do, dump it on the ground is was the answer. 100LL evaporates so quickly it and theres such a small amount of lead in a sump sample, I don't see why not.

Jet A on the other hand does not evaporate quickly and is very slick. I used to work baggage in Seattle and an ASIG guy fell asleep holding the dead-man switch refueling a 737. Fuel poured out the vents, and about 150 gallons of Jet A went everywhere. The fire dept had to come out and hose down the gate before the next jet could come in and deplane.

Heres a question...Say your flying a Caravan all day long and dont have time to sump the EPA can. Well finally you get to that magic # of shutdowns where the can releases and spills all over the ramp. EPA or FAA observes. Are you going to get whacked with a fine for not sumping earlier?

I asked a FAA inspector what to do, dump it on the ground is was the answer. 100LL evaporates so quickly it and theres such a small amount of lead in a sump sample, I don't see why not.

Jet A on the other hand does not evaporate quickly and is very slick. I used to work baggage in Seattle and an ASIG guy fell asleep holding the dead-man switch refueling a 737. Fuel poured out the vents, and about 150 gallons of Jet A went everywhere. The fire dept had to come out and hose down the gate before the next jet could come in and deplane.

Speaking of which....first time I refueled an MD500 (which has the WORST fuel tank neck that could have been designed from a line servicing stand-point), I was pumping nearly full blast when it topped out and sprayed all over my face, jacket and pants. I got a mouthful of the stuff too, but decided to spit it out. Left a nasty oily stain on my shirt too.....really greasy stuff when you get it on you.

Back