How would you answer these interview questions?

Still, nobody has answered my question:

Why should the pilot be expected to put their certificates at risk simply because their company does not have enough procedures in places to get the flight going without breaking rules?

I would risk (and i know some FAA guys, talked to them, they said they wouldnt really look at this, it's not something they'd violate you for) (but thats just them) my certificate to save someones life. whats the worst? i cant be a pilot anymore? i'd be able to sleep at night knowing i may have saved that persons life, i cant live under the pretence "well, it's my companys fault, and my morals are fine!"

but thats just my own opinion.

Okay I am getting tired of repeating myself

Anybody responding in this thread with actual EMS experience please correct me if I am wrong.

To answer the original three questions all you have to do is, as someone else said, remove the "Critically Ill patient" factor.

As an Air Ambulance pilot you are not saving lives, you are flying an airplane.

The patient is not your responsibility, the airplane is.

You are not in back, you are in front.

If the airplane crashes they will blame you; If the patient crashes, they don't blame you.

As I have said already, the responsibility of an ambulance driver is:

to safely drive the ambulance.

Patients die. It happens. It has happened to me, more than once.

Part of EMS training involves the psychological aspect of the job, we actually spent a lot of time on it. If you as an EMS responder cannot be emotionally detached from the situation you are pretty much useless.

If the applicant for this job shows in the interview that they will allow outside distractions to affect the normal, safe, and legal operation of the vehicle then that person will not get the job.

Simple as that.

Okay I am getting tired of repeating myself

Anybody responding in this thread with actual EMS experience please correct me if I am wrong.

To answer the original three questions all you have to do is, as someone else said, remove the "Critically Ill patient" factor.

If the airplane crashes they will blame you; If the patient crashes, they don't blame you.

to safely drive the ambulance.

Patients die. It happens. It has happened to me, more than once.

Part of EMS training involves the psychological aspect of the job, we actually spent a lot of time on it. If you as an EMS responder cannot be emotionally detached from the situation you are pretty much useless.

If the applicant for this job shows in the interview that they will allow outside distractions to affect the normal, safe, and legal operation of the vehicle then that person will not get the job.

Simple as that.

I agree with you 100%.

Do you mind if I ask how long you have been in the business?

That is just plain wrong. You cannot go around deciding on "what you can handle" and interpolating that into your daily operation. You fly by the regs and company manual and not much else.

An unfortunate truth to this business is that it is more about what you can't do than what you can.

I haven't decided whether to take Butt seriously or not; this isn't the first time he's posted similar bullgarbage on this forum. Not only does he think it's okay to bust ("exceed", whatever..) minimums when he feels like it, he also doesn't see any problem with other nonsense such as doing acrobatics in non-approved aircraft. So if this is really his pattern of thought, or if he just likes to post flamebait to get everyone stirred up, I really don't know. I sincerely hope the latter is true if he's out there flying airplanes.

I haven't decided whether to take Butt seriously or not; this isn't the first time he's posted similar bullgarbage on this forum. Not only does he think it's okay to bust ("exceed", whatever..) minimums when he feels like it, he also doesn't see any problem with other nonsense such as doing acrobatics in non-approved aircraft. So if this is really his pattern of thought, or if he just likes to post flamebait to get everyone stirred up, I really don't know. I sincerely hope the latter is true if he's out there flying airplanes.

judging by what he's posted of threads ive seen, im hoping it's the second.

See my NTSB post above. That was a guy I knew and worked with. It isn't some boogie man story to scare people, it actually happened.

See my NTSB post above. That was a guy I knew and worked with. It isn't some boogie man story to scare people, it actually happened.

it's a sad reality.

dont you just wonder "why, why would you do this?"
it's like my friend who crashed on approach, you wonder why

I am sort of curious - this thread has been going on 6 pages, and it's been (in the big scheme of things) lower time guys debating the point. Where are the aviation sages?

These questions were asked of someone close to me in a recent interview with a Fixed Wing Air Ambulance Company. How would you guys answer these questions:

2) You arrive to pull the aircraft out of the hangar and there has just been a heavy snow fall. The tug (which is the only approved vehicle to move the aircraft) cannot operate in such heavy snow. But you do have access to a 4x4 truck. Do you go against company policy and use the 4x4 or do your scrub the mission to move the critically ill patient?

I'd start shoveling...Wouldn't even consider using the 4 x 4. If the tug is the only vehicle approved to move the aircraft, i'd imagine if I caused any damage, its my arse.

3) You are 20 minutes from your destination when the chip detector detects a chip in the left engine which causes you to shut down the engine. Do you continue to your destination with the patient, or do you divert immediately to the airport with 10 miles that can handle your aircraft?

If I get a chip detection light i'm going to fly the airplane first, and verify there is in fact a problem...If there is a problem, and I am forced to shut down the engine, i'm declaring, and going to the nearest suitable airport. If there isn't any problem, I would continue to destination with chip annunciator illuminated

he also doesn't see any problem with other nonsense such as doing acrobatics in non-approved aircraft.

I have never said such a thing.

A lot of people here need to familiar themselves with the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. The spirit of all regulations basically boil down to "Be safe, and don't make extra work for us (the FAA)", as long as you uphold those ethos, you are a good pilot in my book. Just because you drop down 10 feel or 200 feet below MDA you aren't necessarily going against that spirit. If you blast off with one nav light burnt out you aren't violating that spirit either.

A lot of people here need to familiar themselves with the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. The spirit of all regulations basically boil down to "Be safe, and don't make extra work for us (the FAA)", as long as you uphold those ethos, you are a good pilot in my book. Just because you drop down 10 feel or 200 feet below MDA you aren't necessarily going against that spirit. If you blast off with one nav light burnt out you aren't violating that spirit either.

So I can get away with breaking whatever rule I feel like breaking, as long as its in good spirit?

Whether you kill yourself or not, really makes no difference to me. Its the people on the ground who you are going to hurt which really pisses me off. 200 feet below mda? *******

These questions were asked of someone close to me in a recent interview with a Fixed Wing Air Ambulance Company. How would you guys answer these questions:

1) You preflight the aircraft and notice that one nav light is inop. The nav lights are not on the MEL and are required for the flight. Would you still take the flight to move the critical patient?

No.

2) You arrive to pull the aircraft out of the hangar and there has just been a heavy snow fall. The tug (which is the only approved vehicle to move the aircraft) cannot operate in such heavy snow. But you do have access to a 4x4 truck. Do you go against company policy and use the 4x4 or do your scrub the mission to move the critically ill patient?

No.

3) You are 20 minutes from your destination when the chip detector detects a chip in the left engine which causes you to shut down the engine. Do you continue to your destination with the patient, or do you divert immediately to the airport with 10 miles that can handle your aircraft?

No.

Especially after a few high profile Medevac accidents in Arizona, it wasn't "Well, they were trying to save a critical patient", it was "What in the hell were the pilots doing?"

to safely drive the ambulance

seeing it that way, i would say no for each scenario.

i would just feel terrible if that patient died because the flight couldnt be completed, but i guess it would be out of my hands?

thanks for your imput, you've successfully changed my vied/ thought process since the beginning of this thread.

I would risk (and i know some FAA guys, talked to them, they said they wouldnt really look at this, it's not something they'd violate you for) (but thats just them) my certificate to save someones life. whats the worst? i cant be a pilot anymore? i'd be able to sleep at night knowing i may have saved that persons life, i cant live under the pretence "well, it's my companys fault, and my morals are fine!"

but thats just my own opinion.

But your career will be OVER!! The FAA would have a field day with you and you'll never be able to touch an airplane again all because you tried to save someones stupid life!

:sarcasm:

I would never tell anyone to deliberately go against a FAR unless it was an emergency. If it were one of my friends or family members I wouldn't care if all the lights were out, and all the instruments broken....I'm taking off!!

But that's just me..

I think he just settled the flame bait question, eh?

Spirit? I *KNOW* you have not dealt with the FAA too much. No spirits involved, it's pretty much black and white.

I am sort of curious - this thread has been going on 6 pages, and it's been (in the big scheme of things) lower time guys debating the point. Where are the aviation sages?

Not a low time guy.

But your career will be OVER!! The FAA would have a field day with you and you'll never be able to touch an airplane again all because you tried to save someones stupid life!

:sarcasm:

I would never tell anyone to deliberately go against a FAR unless it was an emergency. If it were one of my friends or family members I wouldn't care if all the lights were out, and all the instruments broken....I'm taking off!!

But that's just me..

which is why im a bit on the fence, i mean, we may just be the pilots, and it may be the companys fault if we shouldnt go, but someones life is at stake?

and this is a hypothetical, and im sure for the first question, they have another airplane around. if not, ill tape a green red flashlight on and loose a few knots

Back