Pictures from my first glider contest

tlewis95

I drive planes
I am just bored and looking around my photobucket account and thought that I would share these.

This was back in June 2008, at the "Caesar Creek Soaring Club" in Waynseville, OH (half way between CVG and DAY) and was my first sanctioned glider race.

A 6 day event, with me flying my dad's Genesis 2 sailplane, and I ended up 3rd out of 12 pilots in my class (sports) after flying 5 out of 6 days, in mostly marginal soaring weather, with the last day being rained out.

A little page about "soaring" http://ssa.org/sport/whatissoaring.asp

The evening that we arrived (2 days before the first race day)
ccscpano.jpg

Hanging out with the youth group/ground crew.
IMG_5518e.jpg

Morning assembly
jpeg_day22.jpg

Making strategy
jpeg_0004meet.jpg

Grid (where all 50 or so gliders stage on the runway before launch) Meeting
jpeg_0009.jpg

Day 1 Launch
jpeg_0046e.jpg

jpeg_0047e.jpg

Finish (at about 150kts)

jpeg_0007fine.jpg

Rolling in
jpeg_0014stope.jpg

Getting ready for another launch
DSC02509.jpg

And...my first off-field (off airport) landing, in a bean field about 10 miles north of the home airport
jpeg_0004e.jpg

jpeg_0007e.jpg

jpeg_0011e.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4472.jpg

Very fun event. I will be doing two more races next year, and if I do ok on those, I get to fly on the US Team in the world competition in Germany sometime in 2011.

Was your off airport landing planed?

Thanks.

And no, it was a really weak day (very little "thermal" activity) and the 3 clouds that I was counting on to have lift (rising air) had none, so, I ended up in this nice bean field.

In glider racing, it is a pretty routine event though, we usually try to make it to other airports, but if you are competitive enough, and the land you are over is landable, putting one in a field is generally no big deal.

We had it in its trailer and on the road back home 55 minutes after I landed.

Great shots! What is the make of that glider...looks like it'd a be a blast to fly that 'lil thing!

Great shots! What is the make of that glider...looks like it'd a be a blast to fly that 'lil thing!

"Ab Sportine Aviacija" is the official make, model is a "Genesis 2" with some extra custom modifications to make it climb a little bit better. It was designed by a group of 3 or 4 guys that called themselves "Group Genesis."

It is number 8 out of 23 built in Lithuania, by the Aviacija factory.

it's a Genesis, Very nice glider, beats the Lark any day, doesn't it Curt?

Ya it is!

It also beats you and Chris in the ASK-21 when I do 3 turns inside of you and end up 300 feet higher than you are. Then race towards Sandwich at 80kts! :laff:

Thanks again for that marker though, if not for you, I probably would have landed at Hinckley with another 60nm to go on the task.

you know chris is afraid of speed!
Ya it is!

It also beats you and Chris in the ASK-21 when I do 3 turns inside of you and end up 300 feet higher than you are. Then race towards Sandwich at 80kts! :laff:

Thanks again for that marker though, if not for you, I probably would have landed at Hinckley with another 60nm to go on the task.

Nice pics - but those hats are some kind of queer. I keep waiting for the skipper to come and slap you in the back of the head .... little buuuuuuuudy

:insane:

What is the white tube by the stick?

that would be "the lav" :rolleyes:

On an average 5 or 6 hour race flight, most pilots drink 1 to 3 liters of water to stay hydrated... so... you figure out the rest.

Nice pics - but those hats are some kind of queer. I keep waiting for the skipper to come and slap you in the back of the head .... little buuuuuuuudy

Haahaha ya. But it's kind of international glider pilot wear. You can probably tell from the pictures that there isn't much shade in these gliders, and the ventilation isn't always that great. So to keep from frying from the heat and UV rays, they do a great job.

They definitely aren't worn for the look, but the utility. :rolleyes:

Haahaha ya. But it's kind of international glider pilot wear. You can probably tell from the pictures that there isn't much shade in these gliders, and the ventilation isn't always that great. So to keep from frying from the heat and UV rays, they do a great job.

They definitely aren't worn for the look, but the utility. :rolleyes:

Roger that! :)

Back