What do you have to fall back on?

USAIRWAYS

While I'm not in the immidiate group of 175 Airways(West) pilots I'm not too far from it. As for me I've got my bachelors in accounting, but after 6 ears as an accountant in Philadelphia I don't think I could sit in an office plugging in numbers, and would probably just go back to being a CFI (CFIs aren't paid terribly in the Philly area if you can get on board the right school). I would also take that opportunity to go back to the regionals ( An HONORABLE one, even if it means flying 1900's). So myself out of the way, What are your guys back up plans?

I'm in the process of working on an online degree in accounting. Once I get that, I plan to get out of the aviation industry altogether and just fly for fun.

Beside accounting I once held a seat on the Philadelphia city council (Accounting dept.) and went as far as to run for state senate (Not us just state) but lost in the primaryelection in my competative district.

Beside accounting I once held a seat on the Philadelphia city council (Accounting dept.) and went as far as to run for state senate (Not us just state) but lost in the primaryelection in my competative district.

If you run for President I will vote for ya:nana2:

I've got a mechanical engineering degree and a few years of work experience. I still have some friends/connections in the industry, so I could probably get back in at some kind of entry level point (still pays around $55k).

But, I honestly don't know if I could do it. I could handle the workload/technical aspects, but going back into an office would really be disappointing. If I was desperate and out of money, I could accept it I guess.

Initially I would try to fall back on my CFI certs and keep a sharp eye out for 135/91 positions. I don't have a family, so I would be able to move anywhere.

I love my current job though, so I sure hope none of this talk becomes necessary!

While I'm not in the immidiate group of 175 Airways(West) pilots I'm not too far from it. As for me I've got my bachelors in accounting, but after 6 ears as an accountant in Philadelphia I don't think I could sit in an office plugging in numbers, and would probably just go back to being a CFI (CFIs aren't paid terribly in the Philly area if you can get on board the right school). I would also take that opportunity to go back to the regionals ( An HONORABLE one, even if it means flying 1900's). So myself out of the way, What are your guys back up plans?

I am CFIing now. I would happily go back to accounting and plugging numbers in a nice beige cubicle. As long as I get the cube by the water cooler that the chick from Accounts Receivable uses.

I am CFIing now. I would happily go back to accounting and plugging numbers in a nice beige cubicle. As long as I get the cube by the water cooler that the chick from Accounts Receivable uses.

See, that right there is why I don't want to go back to engineering. We didn't have any hot chicks.

See, that right there is why I don't want to go back to engineering. We didn't have any hot chicks.
An architect, an artist and an engineer were discussing whether it was better to spend time with the wife or a mistress.

The architect said he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship. The artist said he enjoyed time with his mistress, because of the passion and mystery he found there. The engineer said, "I like both."

"Both?" asked the architect.

"Yeah", the engineer said "If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."​

Nothing, which worries me sometimes. Though if I lost my job I'd probably stay at home. We could sell a car and stop paying for daycare ($1000.00 a month). Financially, I think we'd be in about the same place. Which is sad considering I'm a captain.

I have a history degree and my backup plan was always law school. Which is another overstaffed soul wrenching profession. So I'm not sure what I'd go for.

Looking into the oil field (parts and supplies) and an insurance agency at this time. Interview/2 person seminar with insurance company this Tuesday. Sticking to my 30K minimum standards but may be willing to come down a little with good bennies.

Although I am not a pilot. I am an A&P mechanic in Virginia (IAD). My back up plan is to mantain trains (like AMTRAK or DC Metro). I have never done it before. But would it hurt? Although I DO have a Dispatch license as well. But There are no Dispatch posistions in the area. (Colgan HQ is moving out to Memphis in Spring 2009). Although Compass Airlines has their corporate office in the area. I believe they are fully staffed.

So it looks like it's trains for me :)

Back