Federal Healthcare

nathanw

I was browsing through the plans on the OPM website and it seems like there are a whole lot to choose from. Can any current employees shed any light on the better plans to pick? I want to stay away from the HMO plans and I kind of like the high-option ones with chiropractic coverage but they're pretty dang expensive for family coverage. Thoughts?

I had done some browsing myself awhile ago on that website. It seems it would make sense to go with one of the cheaper FFS plans, and a separate plan for dental or vision if necessary

I have BCBS now with my current employer. Not many issues with them.... however the plan my company chose for us is very high out of pocket. Not BCBS's fault, by any means.

I think most plans have a free nurse line, and that can be helpful.
What isnt, is the required notification when you use the emergency room.
this is real easy to forget about if you have to use those services for yourself or a family member and have other things on your mind.

Good thing to remember with (most) health plans - if you dont notify within 24 hours you were in the ER - they will not cover it.

I have BCBS now with my current employer. Not many issues with them.... however the plan my company chose for us is very high out of pocket. Not BCBS's fault, by any means.

I think most plans have a free nurse line, and that can be helpful.
What isnt, is the required notification when you use the emergency room.
this is real easy to forget about if you have to use those services for yourself or a family member and have other things on your mind.

Good thing to remember with (most) health plans - if you dont notify within 24 hours you were in the ER - they will not cover it.
Good to know. I've never had anything but Tricare and they don't care what you do.

Is there a cash out benefit option if you opt out of the healthcare? Also, when you retire are you still covered by the medical benefits?

I've always had BCBS Basic and liked it. Good rates, great benefits. (I had a federal job before this). I upgraded to standard when my wife got pregnant. It was completely worth it. I think it was $20 extra a month and the birth only cost me $200.

I've always had BCBS Basic and liked it. Good rates, great benefits. (I had a federal job before this). I upgraded to standard when my wife got pregnant. It was completely worth it. I think it was $20 extra a month and the birth only cost me $200.
Wow, only $20? The current difference is $140/month between basic and standard (http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/rates/nonpostalffs2009.pdf)

On the fepblue website, do you know how to search for PPO providers? I found the search function but it doesn't say whether the doc is preferred or just participating. Or do they only list preferred?

I won't have to pay for the healthcare until at least July. I'll still be on tricare until then (transition assistance! w00t!)

I am a current federal employee and I have had the Blue Cross Blue shield Basic option for four years now and I love it. I pay $88.99 every two weeks for myself and family. I think it just went up 1 dollar for 2009. The only thing with it is the dental sucks, but I think that holds true for all the plans.

The only thing with it is the dental sucks, but I think that holds true for all the plans.

Good dental plans are getting harder and harder to find. I have GHI and the dental plan is not that good... the only bright spot was several years ago I had to have a wisdom tooth removed. GHI covered the whole thing under the medical part of the plan, not the dental, I thought that was interesting.

hmm, was just going to ask which one has the best dental, since that's basically all i need health insurance for right now (unless of course I fall out of a tree or some stupid crap) :(

Wow, only $20? The current difference is $140/month between basic and standard (http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/rates/nonpostalffs2009.pdf)

On the fepblue website, do you know how to search for PPO providers? I found the search function but it doesn't say whether the doc is preferred or just participating. Or do they only list preferred?

I won't have to pay for the healthcare until at least July. I'll still be on tricare until then (transition assistance! w00t!)

I could be wrong. I don't remember it being that much of a difference, but it could have been. I've slept since then. ;)

And if they are listed on the website search, I believe they are PPO providers. I'm about 98% sure of that

Good dental plans are getting harder and harder to find. I have GHI and the dental plan is not that good... the only bright spot was several years ago I had to have a wisdom tooth removed. GHI covered the whole thing under the medical part of the plan, not the dental, I thought that was interesting.

Yeah, I think thats common because its actually considered a "minor surgey"

hmm, was just going to ask which one has the best dental, since that's basically all i need health insurance for right now (unless of course I fall out of a tree or some stupid crap) :(
if im not mistaken you have to sign up for a health insurance plan in order for you to be able to sign up for a dental plan

no you don't you have to be eligible to sign up for a health plan
read what i wrote, i was saying is that if you want a dental or vision plan, you first must have a health plan set up. i dont think you can JUST do a vision or dental plan by themselves.

Back