PT6 Free Turbine starting simulator

Oxman

Hey guys...

I'm reading Turbine Pilot Flight Manual (with the software) and the DVD is useful, however it does not allow for thorough interactive participation. I'm looking for realistic turbine starting simulator software. Any good ideas?

Hey guys...

I'm reading Turbine Pilot Flight Manual (with the software) and the DVD is useful, however it does not allow for thorough interactive participation. I'm looking for realistic turbine starting simulator software. Any good ideas?
LOL.

Batteries on, GPU on, hit starter, wait till the ng stabilizes or you stop hearing "winding UP" noises, introduce fuel, hit the ignitor to continuous, BOOM FIRE!, and since the PT6 is bullet proof... you are done. Power to full and enjoy.

Battery on

Fuel pump on

Start switch to start

Fasten seat belt

Condition lever to low idle

Put headset on.

Watch T5 stabilize

Your done.

LOL.

Batteries on, GPU on, hit starter, wait till the ng stabilizes or you stop hearing "winding UP" noises, introduce fuel, hit the ignitor to continuous, BOOM FIRE!, and since the PT6 is bullet proof... you are done. Power to full and enjoy.

Probably the smartest thing I have seen or heard someone say about starting a PT6 in a LOOOONG TIME. So many introduce fuel right when that Ng gets to 22%, let the engine get some air moving through it and good and stablized.

As for the PT6 being bullet proof two catastrophic failures in 30 days makes me question that theory.

Probably the smartest thing I have seen or heard someone say about starting a PT6 in a LOOOONG TIME. So many introduce fuel right when that Ng gets to 22%, let the engine get some air moving through it and good and stablized.

As for the PT6 being bullet proof two catastrophic failures in 30 days makes me question that theory.
Eh, there is always an exception to the rule.

Miss the ole 540H on the Super Viking. Man you could run that dry on 3 outa 4 tanks and it'll still start up like a top. Of course I never tried it on the 4th tank, unless unicom would let me land on the taxiway and clear the way to the self serve.

The gami 470 on the bonanza... not so much.

I trust TIO-540's as far as I can throw them. I wasn't afraid of anything more in a Chieftain than the engines on the damned thing.

PT6's? Bulletproof. AE3007's? They seem to do the job alright. Heck, IO-360's? Great engines! But the -540's just a bit too big.

I trust TIO-540's as far as I can throw them. I wasn't afraid of anything more in a Chieftain than the engines on the damned thing.

PT6's? Bulletproof. AE3007's? They seem to do the job alright. Heck, IO-360's? Great engines! But the -540's just a bit too big.
Ahh the chieftain... 42MP on takeoff!

God those were the days.

Thanks for all of the checklists....is there software that I can use to practice them?

I wouldn't worry about too much. It's not much more difficult than starting a fuel injected piston engine.

It'll most likely take you ten minutes to be taught how to start it. Another thing is that starting procedures vary with different companies and pilots. Different models of the PT6 also start differently. It also varies from aircraft to aircraft. For instance, I don't recall the start procedure for the 99 being anything like what some posters have mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about too much. It's not much more difficult than starting a fuel injected piston engine.

It'll most likely take you ten minutes to be taught how to start it. Another thing is that starting procedures vary with different companies and pilots. Different models of the PT6 also start differently. It also varies from aircraft to aircraft. For instance, I don't recall the start procedure for the 99 being anything like what some posters have mentioned.

Well let me refresh your memory

Clear capped right
Rotation
Ignition
Oil pressure rise
Stabiilezed above 12%
Condition lever low idle
Fuel flow #
Thousand one etc...
ITT rise ITT rollback
Above 50% starter off
High Idle gen on

Real world start

Come on you freaking piece of #### start
Hi idle bleed heat on where the hell is the deice truck
engine start checklist complete!

In the metro (TPE-331 garrett engine) all I do is push the button and watch the magic happen.:)

I like the ERJ starting procedure, move the spring loaded "Start/Stop" selector to "Start." Release it...it lands on "Run." The plane (Fadec) does the rest leaving the FO free to do some last minute texting before T.O.

Yeah until your APU fails during start and you end up with a hot start.

I'll be honest, I didn't see it coming and when I saw the ITT start to rise I thought, "Huh, did the thing get far enough to actually start properly? Wait...N2's going down, not up...but....OH #### #### #### #### #### #### TURN IT OFF!"

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 with the Aeroworx King Air B200 addon has a pretty accurate start up procedure for the PT6.

http://www.aeroworx.com/b200.html

It only works with FS 2004 though (ie not FSX). For the record, the manual for this clearly and in no uncertain terms, states that this product is 'for entertainment purposes only' . That being said, it could be useful to you (it was for me when I was a very green B200 Co-Pilot).

Back