PT6 Free Turbine starting simulator

Yeah until your APU fails during start and you end up with a hot start.

I'll be honest, I didn't see it coming and when I saw the ITT start to rise I thought, "Huh, did the thing get far enough to actually start properly? Wait...N2's going down, not up...but....OH #### #### #### #### #### #### TURN IT OFF!"

Oh I've had all sorts of weird crap happen during starts, including the APU acting up...It went bizerk, I look back 5 seconds later and the engine is hanging with temp rising....It was a slow motion "Nooooooooo...STOOOOOOOPPPPPP!"

I know the manual says both pilots should watch the start, but especially when taxiing it's tough to look down there and I really expect the FO to pay attention. About half do. I've had times while taxiing where I ask him to start it, then as I glance over to see how it's going I see it hanging....FO is out to lunch texting, looking out the window...you name it. It has become one of those repetitive items that people stop paying attention to unfortunately. Put it in the complacency category.

Probably the smartest thing I have seen or heard someone say about starting a PT6 in a LOOOONG TIME. So many introduce fuel right when that Ng gets to 22%, let the engine get some air moving through it and good and stablized.

That's how they teach it at Mesaba (not the PT6, doesn't matter). ;) I like the direct start on the Saab even better... CL to Start, hit the starter switch, and watch her go.

Oh, John and Jynxy... passed my oral today without a hitch. :)

Congrats man, that's awesome! Good luck trying to figure out how to fly from the left seat again :)

Congrats man, that's awesome! Good luck trying to figure out how to fly from the left seat again :)

Um, yeah, about 11% of my flying time is from that side... I'll be disconnecting the yaw damp when trying to vert sync. :)

congrads man.

Enjoy the GHMC, priceless.

Well, as I understand it, there won't be no G-thang about it, just HMC. But if they lied to me about that, what difference does it make? (besides flying with people that not only have no idea what they're doing, but rather absolutely no idea what they're doing)

Either way, I still have to make it through my sims and type ride. :)

Well, as I understand it, there won't be no G-thang about it, just HMC. But if they lied to me about that, what difference does it make? (besides flying with people that not only have no idea what they're doing, but rather absolutely no idea what they're doing)

Either way, I still have to make it through my sims and type ride. :)
You'll find that once you goto the left seat you make stupid mistakes constantly. Doesn't matter if you have 0 or 10,000 hours in the plane. Watched it happen to me and pilots much better than I. I doubt anyone is immune.
And you are right, if you were in the saab previously you won't have the G title.

Back