Picked up ice today, TKS System.

Air Bear KC

I got a taste of ice the first time this year and used the TKS System. WOW, the system is awsome! I've used boots before and no comparison.
Anyone else beside Flight Express use it? Any downside, besides running out of fluid?

I believe Central Air Southwest use it.
Buddy of mine flies for them. Don't think he's had to use it though because he mostly flies in Texas.
I wished I had it a couple of times when I was flying a BE-99 in Maine and boots couldn't handle some of the clear ice I picked up.
Then again.. I enjoyed not having to worry about the boots running out of air.:D

if u get in to it good just remember to keep pushing the button for the windows. it is a great system though.

I'm just curious, what are you flying that uses TKS?

My only experience with TKS has been in the Cirrus. Does a fine job in that airplane as long as you get it turned on before the ice starts to build. (It's not FIKI certified on that airframe so it's always been inadvertent encounters.)

Downsides? Weight and cost I guess, but I love it on the Cirrus and you don't need to haul the weight around in the summer months.

Wish I had it today on the 310. The boots just didn't do a very good job knocking off the clear. Luckily there wasn't much of it.

it sucks up north, bugs get stuck in the microperforations, and it stops working, or ice builds unevenly

I did a flight review/IPC for a gentleman and later got to fly his Mooney with the TKS (FIKI) system.

Knocks boots out of the park.

-mini

I'm just curious, what are you flying that uses TKS?

My only experience with TKS has been in the Cirrus. Does a fine job in that airplane as long as you get it turned on before the ice starts to build. (It's not FIKI certified on that airframe so it's always been inadvertent encounters.)

Downsides? Weight and cost I guess, but I love it on the Cirrus and you don't need to haul the weight around in the summer months.

Wish I had it today on the 310. The boots just didn't do a very good job knocking off the clear. Luckily there wasn't much of it.

As far as i know the cirrus has tks but is not certified. I might be wrong and if i am i am sorry for the post

I did a flight review/IPC for a gentleman and later got to fly his Mooney with the TKS (FIKI) system.

Knocks boots out of the park.

-mini

I've not had the chance to fly em' just the time to clean bugs out of the system. But it does seem like it would be really good.

I've not had the chance to fly em' just the time to clean bugs out of the system. But it does seem like it would be really good.

The only other downside I'll mention was that once I showed up to fly with him and went into the hangar to preflight (it was a bit chilly...). The plane had just come out of annual and the damn wings were leaking everywhere!!!

What a mess.

Mx said that was normal when they service the system. Yuck.

-mini

Yeah, us Central guys have it in all our planes. Works great! Haven't run into it yet but I'm sure I'll hit some tomorrow. I make sure I have a full 17 gallons before I take off.

Giveme TKS and a heater that works and I'm a happy freight dog.

It's damn near bulletproof on the 210. I can only think of a handful of time that I needed the "high" pump position, even "normal" will deal pretty well with anything but "uhoh" icing. It does stink and you do need to clean the leading edges, though. And trying to fill up the resevoir in that thrice-damned baggage compartment when it's already stuffed with bank bags, you're in the middle of a blizzard, it's gusting 50 knots, you're standing on a sheet of ice, and you can't feel your fingers...

Speaking of which for FLX stage lengths, running out shouldn't be an issue, just remember to take extra jugs if you have more than a couple of legs.

And a word of warning, in my experience it doesn't work as well on the Baron. It's still totally adequate, but it's not quite the silver bullet it is on the 210.

Hope you're enjoying the new job. If you enjoy it in the winter, you're going to LOVE it in the summer.

Boots suck when you're 15 from the marker slowed to 140 "for spacing" and they won't deflate so you can use them again ..... :mad:

-mini

It's damn near bulletproof on the 210. I can only think of a handful of time that I needed the "high" pump position, even "normal" will deal pretty well with anything but "uhoh" icing. It does stink and you do need to clean the leading edges, though. And trying to fill up the resevoir in that thrice-damned baggage compartment when it's already stuffed with bank bags, you're in the middle of a blizzard, it's gusting 50 knots, you're standing on a sheet of ice, and you can't feel your fingers...

Yeah....Just reminds me of SGF last winter with our Central American friend not getting his 135 IFR-PIC check until Jan. I did not like November and December.

And a word of warning, in my experience it doesn't work as well on the Baron. It's still totally adequate, but it's not quite the silver bullet it is on the 210.

WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW BEFORE TODAY!!!! Actually, I was having problems with it because MEM APPR decided that 8,000 was too low and pushed me up to 10,000. I did pick up a trace on the inlets. Is that where you start to pick it up first, besides on the fluid bar? I thought I would ask you, since you had this run and all before.

Air Bear KC,
I am flying 718 out of CPS. I was in the C210 last winter and never had a problem with it. KEEP REFILLING THE TANK. It sucks, like Boris said, but I am still here and have only had one problem with it. Had one that got clogged right before hitting the ILS going into CPS. I wouldn't want to fly without it.

If you have any questions about it in the 210 PM me. I have time to kill in MEM so I can answer pretty quickly. Just make sure that the flaps stop at 20 degrees and you should be fine. If I can't answer the question I know someone who can. Keep the speed up too, 120 should be considered the slowest, as far as I am concerned.

woutlaw,
Becareful in the Cirrus and picking up ice, besides inadvertant. PM me for more details.

If you think that the 210 is bad with the baggage door, try the freakin baron!

One of our Caravans has TKS. Upside: you no hot plate on the window, it flows back past the protected area if you enter an area of freezing rain. Its nice on those nights when you land and suspect you might get frost while waiting for your freight. Run the TKS for a few minutes before landing, sometimes it will be enough to keep the wings clean on the ground.

Downside: refilling the stupid thing, you know its always going to be blowing snow or rain sideways while your doing it. The fluid goes everywhere and gets on everything.

Back