Aircraft recognition

bamaral13

I'm feeling a little crazy, because I'm making 3x5 flashcards of aircraft in color, and I'm making 3 cards per aircraft. Sad thing is, I won't see many of these planes when I'm at my facility, but I suspect I'll be tested on it in OKC.

Is anyone doing something similar, or am I going overboard?

for okc there's only a certian few planes that you'll use. its really not too bad. its important to remember also if you can find it somewhere the a/c designator... i.e.... cessna 172- c172. boeing 737 b733, etc

for okc there's only a certian few planes that you'll use. its really not too bad. its important to remember also if you can find it somewhere the a/c designator... i.e.... cessna 172- c172. boeing 737 b733, etc

As in a data tag/block on a radar display or data strip?

Just remember anything with a C is a Cessna, anything is a BE is a royalty name and with PA you are looking at Indian names.

Good advice.

C = Cessna, Twin Cessna and Citation (below 140 kts, it's probably a Cessna, between 140 and 200 knots, it's probably a twin Cessna, above 200 knots, it's a Citation)

BE = Duchess, Duke, Baron, KING air, Queen Air, or Airiner. (less than 180 knots, it's a Duchess or a Baron, between 180-ish to about 250 it's a Queen or a King Air, above that it's probably a King Air or a Beechjet)

PA = Cherokee (safest bet), Navajo. (Below 180 it's a CHerokee, above that, it's probably a Chieftain or a Navajo).

yeah... because there may or may not be a question about that on the compressive test. so be careful with the C's

Fact from the head of the academy: one of the top reasons people are washing out at their facilities is Aircraft Recognition along with Phraseology. (This fact was shared with us Friday night in class)

Basically....Know it at the academy and know it at your facility. Whatever they ask, you do, or you gone.

planes are tough but as you see more and more of them you will become more familiar with them, and it wont be such a problem....go walk around a GA airport, start going to airshows and whatnot to work on that stuff. its also good to know aircraft performance as well.

Fact from the head of the academy: one of the top reasons people are washing out at their facilities is Aircraft Recognition along with Phraseology. (This fact was shared with us Friday night in class)

Basically....Know it at the academy and know it at your facility. Whatever they ask, you do, or you gone.

I thought I already did this class with you?!? You will be fine you caught on quickly!!

I thought I already did this class with you?!? You will be fine you caught on quickly!!

ha ha ha you're funny. It's because of you that I know the 727, 737, 767, MD80 and the RJs. I already knew the 747. You and I didn't have a chance to get into the Cessnas, Beech Crafts, and the Pipers...Those were more difficult. And where was my lesson on military planes dude????? I guess had I had more class time with you at the DFW viewing spot I would have been even more prepared. You will do just fine in Basics!!!:rawk:

ha ha ha you're funny. It's because of you that I know the 727, 737, 767, MD80 and the RJs. I already knew the 747. You and I didn't have a chance to get into the Cessnas, Beech Crafts, and the Pipers...Those were more difficult. And where was my lesson on military planes dude????? I guess had I had more class time with you at the DFW viewing spot I would have been even more prepared. You will do just fine in Basics!!!:rawk:

DFW mainly only has those airplanes. You will become very familiar with the smaller ones. Oh start with this website for the Military aircraft.
http://www.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=2

I would recommend Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation for aircraft recognition and aircraft performance.

Just do like my 2 year old son does...point to the sky when you hear/see one and yell "AIRPANE!" yes...i left the L out on person. He can't quite say that letter yet. ;)

Not all C designators are cessna's please dont make that mistake. All the airplanes that are on the test and in level 2/3 are in the lesson plan in basics or in the .65. We just finished block 2 and it was kind of annoying having black and white photos and test pictures were all in color, that kind of screwed me up. Bottom line is know the designator and the acft, you won't have to look at a picture of a plane in level 2/3 you will have to read the designator and know what kind of acft it is and what it is capable of. Dont just say that doesnt apply to me b/c you will have to know what these acft can do! It really isn't that hard if you take the cat 1,2,3 performance basics and figure out of its a prop twin engine or a jet thats not really difficult.

Back