Aircraft recognition

There are many books out there. Spend the $20-30 on a picture book or get a subscription to Airways and Flying magazines.

Just remember anything with a C is a Cessna, anything is a BE is a royalty name and with PA you are looking at Indian names.

o lord, being military we deal with plenty of C designated planes for all the cargo aircraft. I just have to
picard.gif
every time the new trainees try to do a point out or hand off on a Cessna 17, Cessna 130, or even worse a Cessna 5. I'm always shocked that people come all the way though training without knowing the main cargo aircraft.

o lord, being military we deal with plenty of C designated planes for all the cargo aircraft. I just have to every time the new trainees try to do a point out or hand off on a Cessna 17, Cessna 130, or even worse a Cessna 5. I'm always shocked that people come all the way though training without knowing the main cargo aircraft.

on the flip side, u have to
picard.gif
everytime a military guy talks about a Cargo 500, Cargo 501, Cargo 525, Cargo 550, Cargo 625, etc.

it goes both ways.

i do get military guys trying to hand me off, E-J-A Six Two Three, a C-Five-Sixty.

"oh do u mean Execjet Six Twenty Three a Citation Five Sixty?"

--trust me it goes both ways. i'm ex-military so it's not me being unfair to the military.

i do get military guys trying to hand me off, E-J-A Six Two Three, a C-Five-Sixty.

"oh do u mean Execjet Six Twenty Three a Citation Five Sixty?"

--trust me it goes both ways. i'm ex-military so it's not me being unfair to the military.

Is there a list somewhere of all the callsigns with there radar sigs? (I guess thats what its called) I have no idea

FAAO 7340.1 CONTRACTIONS

it's all there. don't waste ur time, there is WAAAYYY too many.

WOW Thats a long list, I am only going to study the airlines that fly into my future airspace. WOW again thats a lot of callsigns. I was expecting a couple hundred not pages and pages of callsigns. Thanks for info YB

As an OTS headed off to OKC pretty soon, should I be doing some extra reading to get caught up with craft I'm not familiar with, or am I gonna be fine just doing whatever is asked of at academy?

I don't know about basics, but in initial tower cab all we did was a 2+30h lesson on aircraft recognition and characteristics.

I don't know about basics, but in initial tower cab all we did was a 2+30h lesson on aircraft recognition and characteristics.

Ok....I've heard that if you put in the work and effort, you're gonna be fine even without a encyclopedic background in craft recognition....hope thats true

Ok....I've heard that if you put in the work and effort, you're gonna be fine even without a encyclopedic background in craft recognition....hope thats true
with a 98% pass rate at the academy how could it not be true?

it helps to know what certain airplanes look like, but remember, youll either be looking at a flight strip which WILL have the A/C type on it, or you will be looking at the data tag, which should also have the AC type. the main thing to know is A/C performance and characteristics, for instance in radar, its NOT a good idea to put a citation 3 miles in trail of a cessna, or other small cat 1 or 2 a/c on final. or with departures, also its good to know when you will have the proper seperation when you depart planes with similar characteristics so you dont feed radar a deal...

basically when you are running labs, you'll see what the planes look like (except for the AWE 757 that comes in as a A-10 Warthog) they give you a list to study.

Most you probably were breast feeding when this movie came out, but "aircraft recognition" made me think of it, still makes me laugh...

Dusty Bottoms: What is it doing here?
Ned Nederlander: I think it's a male plane.
Dusty Bottoms: How can you tell?
Ned Nederlander: Didn't you notice its little balls?

Three_amigos.jpg

Scary to know how little new controllers know about aviation is it?

The important thing to consider would be how quick a study a new controller is....I'v heard some pretty goofy stories about trainees with aviation backgrounds who just can't seem to pull it together.

Back