Mr Toad’s Wild Ride

That is significant.

737/320 family. 6,000lbs/hr (let’s just assume, depends on variant, etc).

That’s 100 lbs fuel per minute.

30 seconds is 50 lbs fuel.

6.76 lbs/gallon

That 30 second shortcut saved 7.4 gallons

That is significant. One flight. Now imagine thousands per day, then per month, then per year. I’ll take 30 second savings all day long. :)
yeah sounds good til you end up with another 50kt of headwind for the next 2hr because your 30deg ‘shortcut’ wasn’t well researched

miles per gallon son

yeah sounds good til you end up with another 50kt of headwind for the next 2hr because your 30deg ‘shortcut’ wasn’t well researched

miles per gallon son

Ok, obviously you wouldn’t shortcut into the headwind.

We use a program called FlyWays and it optimizes the route. Trial pilots (*cough*) can select any fix on the route, click direct to, and it shows the fuel and time savings or extra burn. Same with step climbing at any fox, can show if going up saves fuel and/or time.

We use a program called FlyWays and it optimizes the route. Trial pilots (*cough*) can select any fix on the route, click direct to, and it shows the fuel and time savings or extra burn. Same with step climbing at any fox, can show if going up saves fuel and/or time.

I wasn't one of the trial pilots, but I flew with a few of them. Turns out DX also has the same thing at their work stations.

I wasn't one of the trial pilots, but I flew with a few of them. Turns out DX also has the same thing at their work stations.

They do. But I’d say about 95% of my transcons, there is an optimized shortcut. I ask dispatch, they see the same thing.

Think of all the times they see an optimize shortcut but don’t bother messaging us. Personally, I hope the entire pilot group gets it. And then we can ditch WSI, since Flyways encompasses WSI weather/turbulence/icing/etc

They do. But I’d say about 95% of my transcons, there is an optimized shortcut. I ask dispatch, they see the same thing.

Think of all the times they see an optimize shortcut but don’t bother messaging us. Personally, I hope the entire pilot group gets it. And then we can ditch WSI, since Flyways encompasses WSI weather/turbulence/icing/etc

Oh yeah, that is what I was getting at. Seems like a pretty easy solution.

Unfortunately where I come home to, if you land early it is Russian roulette, whether you will actually have that unicorn "I'm off this trip an hour early" block in, or you just spend another hour sitting on T or 16C. Ok, maybe not that bad usually, but I did do exactly that the other day as a passenger on another carrier (who admittedly only has a couple gates here).

I’m always amazed at the technology out there. We had some pretty nice stuff at 9E (thanks Delta). Meanwhile we can’t even get WiFi at Brown.

Oh yeah, that is what I was getting at. Seems like a pretty easy solution.

Unfortunately where I come home to, if you land early it is Russian roulette, whether you will actually have that unicorn "I'm off this trip an hour early" block in, or you just spend another hour sitting on T or 16C. Ok, maybe not that bad usually, but I did do exactly that the other day as a passenger on another carrier (who admittedly only has a couple gates here).

Airport mode in Flyways shows the time you arrive at the gate, and what time the preceding aircraft leaves your gate. If they overlap, you have an issue. Works well, very accurate. :)

Don't step climb at me, bro

...if operational!
I did a charter on the 330 with an INOP brake. No auto brakes and you have to leave the gear down for 2 minutes after rotation. That’s a loud two minutes, that’s for sure. Shockingly, it stops just fine with manual brakes.

I did a charter on the 330 with an INOP brake. No auto brakes and you have to leave the gear down for 2 minutes after rotation. That’s a loud two minutes, that’s for sure. Shockingly, it stops just fine with manual brakes.
What's up with that 2 minutes? Spin down, or what?

Does that work good at Aspen? ;)

Not meaning to be snarky, but can't you just swag that? With this kind of stuff, while an app might give you a definitive number, the question still remains whether or not that number is actually accurate enough to justify the changes. In this case, I'm seriously thinking a swag is worth an app. Probably much more so as those corporate-sale apps are typically quite spendy. But hey, if it's in your book of instruction, I guess do it.

Not meaning to be snarky, but can't you just swag that? With this kind of stuff, while an app might give you a definitive number, the question still remains whether or not that number is actually accurate enough to justify the changes. In this case, I'm seriously thinking a swag is worth an app. Probably much more so as those corporate-sale apps are typically quite spendy. But hey, if it's in your book of instruction, I guess do it.

There will be a green sliver on the “Optimize” button if it finds a shortcut or a new route from PPOS to [wherever]. On Newark to LA transcons, I’ve seen optimize suggestions saving 5 min, 500 lbs fuel.

It is significant. I like it :)

Economy seems to headed the wrong direction given all the instability (inflation data stubborn, interest rates not changing, war uncertainties, etc). I figure saving fuel is a good thing for the airline.

OMG it’s like I wandered into an airliners.net fanbois thread.

Please, for the love of all that is good and pure about Mother Gaia, can we please return to rabid politics, thread drift that would make Vin Diesel blush, and ironic yet delicious observations of the 21st century zeitgeist?

Back