Captain_Bob (Bob Moyer)

Bob was an instructor in the ATP office in Dallas when I was a student, and was also my sim partner during upgrade at Expressjet many years ago. My heart aches for Bob, His wife, their three daughters as well as his parents. He was an unbelievably nice man that would give you the shirt off of his back. Rest easy Bob.

If we could all strive to be just a little more like him, the world will be a better place. Remember him, how he'd always take the time to help someone on their path. Some positive advice here, going out of the way to help someone make contacts there... When we have the opportunity to be that mentor, to be that positive influence, do it. That's what he always did.

Damn. I had a few good conversations with him at NJC years ago...seriously encouragement was the only language he spoke. Learned a lot about ATP from him. Anytime I've heard him come up from people here over the years, it has been nothing but praise and positivity. I'd be surprised if the guy had any enemies. Reading all these posts really shows you that he made a positive impact on all of us lucky enough to meet him. Really, really crappy news...if he was so great to all of us, I can only imagine what he meant to his family. :confused:

Great guy. I wish I'd gotten to actually fly with him at XJT.

He lived a life as good as anyone can. Sad to see it cut short.

As everyone has said about Captain Bob, he was just... great. I met him once at NJC and of course back in the day on here where we would converse in threads. He always encouraged me to do the work, stay on track and succeed at my dreams.

Fast forward to 2018, he heard (probably from FB) that I was finally doing it. I was finally starting my flight training. He messaged me periodically during my almost two year stint in UT. to inquire about how my training was going and if I had any questions.

He also said he'd keep his ear to the ground for me in terms of assisting me finding a low time building job. And he encouraged me to not get SJS and to consider ExpressJet, most notably for their excellent training.

When XJT went under we talked and he wasn't bummed, but excited for his next chapter at Atlas. When we talked after that he told me about his CJO @ American. He got PHX A320. We were going to try to meet up when he was here, but it never happened. Bob was such a great guy, I was just so depressed last night when I heard the news. But Bob's still doing the work, he got some old posters from JC's glory days to come back. Or come out of lurking. Bob did that, he brought people together. He'll be dearly missed.

Last edited:
Oh man, this is terrible news. I learned about it earlier today right before I was heading into the sim for a check ride. It was seriously difficult to stay focused during my ride. Such a great guy, and while I never flew with him, I had plenty of conversations with him at various NJCs years ago. We even rode together on one of the NJC/Hoover Dam expeditions. Good times, good laughs! Tailwinds, Bob...you'll be missed!

That…….sucks. Met him at an NJC over a decade ago and a couple times at XJT.
Can’t echo enough about how positive he was about everything.
Goodbye Bob.

Flew with him at XJT once and knew he was a legend. He was a fixture on The Crack Pipe (the ExpressJet pilot forum), always the voice of reason and helpful. I wish I knew him better but to those that ride motorcycles, take it extra careful out there for Bob please.

So, as a community, let’s think of some creative ways of thanking his family for letting us borrow him over the years.

Ideas?
I’m really trying here Doug and not entirely creative it turns out.
Perhaps a college fund for his daughters? Though I’m sure Bob had that sorted already.

It would be tough, but I thought a scholarship in his name would be awesome. Help out somebody up and coming in this career and has the infectious attitude of helping others.

I'll second the idea of a scholarship.
You meet the kinda people in this industry and it becomes a joy to work. As I said to a colleague stuck back in New England looking for flight time -- once you pull up on the yoke that first time, money isn't an object. It's looking down and owning the world beneath your wings. Kids and this next generation may not have those $90/hr lessons we did, but yeah -- scholarship.

Fair winds, Captain Moyer.

Back