Just discovered

Nark

Macho Superpilot
I didn't realize this was a sub forum.

Once I get a moment, I'll upload a spreadsheet I created (with some help) that shows a ballpark of ownership costs.

I'd say there are a few owner types out there. Cheap and smart.

With that said, I used to account for nearly every penny the first year I owned <---- my Stinson.
I really had no reason to, as it wasn't a justification for ownership. But the formulas are there to see about affording any other types.

Don't. Nobody's going to buy any airplanes then.
Way I look at it (I didn't come up with that, read it somewhere) is the first hour of the year is the expensive one and the rest are just fuel and oil.

I didn't realize this was a sub forum.

Once I get a moment, I'll upload a spreadsheet I created (with some help) that shows a ballpark of ownership costs.

I'd say there are a few owner types out there. Cheap and smart.

With that said, I used to account for nearly every penny the first year I owned <---- my Stinson.
I really had no reason to, as it wasn't a justification for ownership. But the formulas are there to see about affording any other types.

I second the "DON'T". No good will come of it. All it takes is the spouse to find out just how much the plane and boat actually cost. There's a reason it's called a $100 hamburger.

Easy choice...

There are plenty of other sources to figure out cost of ownership.

Enjoy the freedom it brings. No one to complain to when the tanks aren't filled, or the seat belts aren't crossed :)

Easy choice...

There are plenty of other sources to figure out cost of ownership.

Enjoy the freedom it brings. No one to complain to when the tanks aren't filled, or the seat belts aren't crossed :)

See my avatar?
<----------

She's been trying to get me to sell it for a while now. No need to give her more ammo!

It's about the fixed costs. Unless you are buying cash well under your financial means and have money to spare find a good partner or two! Once you bring the fixed costs down, the variable fuel and engine reserve is closer to renting and the benefits of it being your plane (even with another owner) tilt the balance.

The trick is getting the RIGHT partners that share your ownership philosophy and goals and are someone you are willing to go into business with. The decisions you make are like running a small business.

Owning is everything to do with freedom of scheduling, and little to do with cost.

It's actually cost prohibitive really, if you fly less than 100 ish hours a year.

Like I said, I love getting a wild hair, driving to the airport, flying a few airports over and buying cheaper gas (more about flying than saving 5¢ a gallon.)

Anybody looking for a gently used S108? I'm 'upgrading' to a 180 in the new year.

I've owned multiple airplanes. Started with a Pacer, then a C182, then a Nanchang (still have that and trying to sell) and currently rebuilding a beaver. Without hesitation you cannot make a financial case for it in any way unless you just simply want to own an airplane. I do. I like knowing who flies it, how it's flown and maintained, and having no access restrictions. That's a choice, for many people a club or renting would be better. If you want to own an airplane, make it happen.

Owning is everything to do with freedom of scheduling, and little to do with cost.

It's actually cost prohibitive really, if you fly less than 100 ish hours a year.

Like I said, I love getting a wild hair, driving to the airport, flying a few airports over and buying cheaper gas (more about flying than saving 5¢ a gallon.)

Anybody looking for a gently used S108? I'm 'upgrading' to a 180 in the new year.
If I was going to buy an airplane to do it all (all that I want), Stinson 108 might be the ticket. Does it have the Franklin in it? If so, could you advise a middle class fella like me if I'm crazy for thinking about it?
Don't get too excited here, I'm just dreaming. But I'd love an airplane I could occasionally commute to work, teach the kids how to fly and do some tail wheel endorsements to offset some cost. (And id like it to be neat!)
Got a link to an ad? Which model is it?

Ha! Im overseas at the moment...

When I get back early next year I'll annual it, and make a few ads.
Right now it's pickled in the hangar. She could use some love.

Ha! Im overseas at the moment...

When I get back early next year I'll annual it, and make a few ads.
Right now it's pickled in the hangar. She could use some love.

Recently helped a friend sell this
(Spoiler - Stinson pr0n)
IMG-20170620-WA0000.jpg

The right partners...agreed! It's like a marriage, only different :) Seriously though, I think it's worth spending as much time finding like-minded partner(s) as it is to find the right aircraft. I've been fortunate over the last ~10 years or so with my partners. I've also heard from friends how their aircraft partners are difficult to work with and they're essentially stuck in a bad partnership.
It's about the fixed costs. Unless you are buying cash well under your financial means and have money to spare find a good partner or two! Once you bring the fixed costs down, the variable fuel and engine reserve is closer to renting and the benefits of it being your plane (even with another owner) tilt the balance.

The trick is getting the RIGHT partners that share your ownership philosophy and goals and are someone you are willing to go into business with. The decisions you make are like running a small business.

The right partners...agreed! It's like a marriage, only different :) Seriously though, I think it's worth spending as much time finding like-minded partner(s) as it is to find the right aircraft. I've been fortunate over the last ~10 years or so with my partners. I've also heard from friends how their aircraft partners are difficult to work with and they're essentially stuck in a bad partnership.

Back