Converting a 180HP 172S to a 160HP?

mrivc211

Is this possible? I am looking at a 172S thats motor is timed out and want to know if you can downgrade to the smaller engine? I have seen lots of people upgrading to the 180HP engine but never the other way around.

Thanks

B06535DF-7E66-4987-B0C2-F294DE3D1D82.gif

What would be the advantages of depowering? Is a 160 motor that much cheaper than a 180?

Is this possible? I am looking at a 172S thats motor is timed out and want to know if you can downgrade to the smaller engine? I have seen lots of people upgrading to the 180HP engine but never the other way around.

Thanks
Yeah, some flight schools do it
Don't know if it's a STC or just S/R respec, but it's been done.
It is a blasphemy and crime against aviation though

New gauges, tach, prop, AFM content....I believe the 160->180 I believe is a service letter, but I’m not certain.

About 1gph...maybe...but you lose some useful load too. It depends on what they’re going to do. It’ll take awhile to recoup the cost of the new parts and labor.

Why? Unless there's a ridiculous cost savings that makes a difference in your fuel consumption, I can't imagine it would help your resale at all. People would just by an R model instead

Why? Unless there's a ridiculous cost savings that makes a difference in your fuel consumption, I can't imagine it would help your resale at all. People would just by an R model instead

There just aren’t that many. I believe the S out-sold the R 10:1. Many R models were converted to S, too. Regardless, I’d spend money on ADS-B and getting rid of some of the King gear.

There just aren’t that many. I believe the S out-sold the R 10:1. Many R models were converted to S, too. Regardless, I’d spend money on ADS-B and getting rid of some of the King gear.
Wonder why no one bought them...
As an aside, do flight school airplanes need engines to be replaced at TBO? I can't remember but thought that was a 135 thing.

As an aside, do flight school airplanes need engines to be replaced at TBO? I can't remember but thought that was a 135 thing.

People wanted the (IIRC) 100 extra lbs.

It’s usually an insurance deal, but no, it doesn’t have to be overhauled based on the calendar or flight hours.

No, but we obeyed it as a soft limit and set a hard limit of 10% over to cover scheduling circumstances. If an engine had any cylinder issues or anything like that within about 300 hours of TBO we just went ahead and overhauled it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

20k/year savings. Thats a lot after 10-15 years of operation.

Back