I learned about aviation from... TMAAT...

I actually hadn't heard it before.

Good reminder that as hard as saying stop is, you've still got to be ready to do it in any seat.

I think it may have been after my trip to the "big brown desk" as an FO when I learned a few things about how the FAA sees captains authority.

Which is why I literally said, "to each their own."

And like a typical pilot, thank you for writing off dispatchers as good for nothing, sitting in AC rooms on a leather seat, bumbling about.

ALL the things you mentioned would be accounted for in the Delay and Extra fuel. And good dispatchers add to account for what you mentioned. Rarely at my shop is there a need to add extra.

I’m not super Captain. I just don’t see the need for every leg to ask the FO for if they want more gas. And yes, no one would question a decision to add more gas.

I gave you data. In one year, it’s about 4-5 times max I had to add extra fuel above beyond the flight plan dispatch fuel. They do a good job here with delay and extra fuel. You didn’t give data in return, instead you just personal attacked.

Getting FOs thinking about fuel is good for their development, and could end up helping you in the long run. Relying on “software” instead of the person sitting next you is asinine. Dispatch makes mistakes too. Believe me. I’m sure you’re not as accustomed to round trip fuel planning, but it gets dorked up often and can mean the difference between taking more $7ish fuel from ANC vs $8+ in the village. Having another set of Arctic Eagle Eyes (tm) looking at the gas is a benefit.

I like to ask FOs what they like for a bingo to our alternate, and how they came up with it. Sometimes creates an opportunity to talk about things they’ll need to know as a captain. Do what you want, of course.

I think it may have been after my trip to the "big brown desk" as an FO when I learned a few things about how the FAA sees captains authority.

One of these days I will really have to run into you and coax the “big brown desk” story. Ill just have to start bidding every DTW trip i can…It seems to have made a really big impact, and given you are where you, and have done all you have for the community, I imagine its worth a listen.

One of these days I will really have to run into you and coax the “big brown desk” story. Ill just have to start bidding every DTW trip i can…It seems to have made a really big impact, and given you are where you, and have done all you have for the community, I imagine its worth a listen.
Thanks! :)

Back