ZED procedure for multi-carrier itinerary and related question

RamRise

If you plan to utilize multiple carriers I.e. get to a hub on domestic carrier with jumpseat then switch to a foreign carrier with a ZED ticket to bounce to another country, Can you check in for the international leg at the departure gate or with the company’s app? Or do you have to exit security and re-enter to check in at the front counter?

2.if you transit an international airport like AMS on an itinerary with multiple carriers can you check in with the second carrier without too much hassle at the transfer desk or departure gate since you won’t be going through customs but you’re also not a confirmed passenger?

any tips on navigating that would help! TIA

If you plan to utilize multiple carriers I.e. get to a hub on domestic carrier with jumpseat then switch to a foreign carrier with a ZED ticket to bounce to another country, Can you check in for the international leg at the departure gate or with the company’s app? Or do you have to exit security and re-enter to check in at the front counter?

2.if you transit an international airport like AMS on an itinerary with multiple carriers can you check in with the second carrier without too much hassle at the transfer desk or departure gate since you won’t be going through customs but you’re also not a confirmed passenger?

any tips on navigating that would help! TIA
Ok, so that a lot of questions and it boils down to: it depends.

If you’re flying Lufthansa for instance you can check in on their app 24 hours in advance. And sometimes they’ll even assign you a seat.

As far as clearing customs in a foreign country. In my experience it’s enough to have an itinerary on your phone stating what flight you plan to catch next even if you don’t have the actual boarding pass.

Sources: I have nonrevved my way around the globe many many many times. So let me know if you have any specific questions.

Is there any difference between ZED and ID90? And what is it? Dumb people (me) are curious, thanks :)

Is there any difference between ZED and ID90? And what is it? Dumb people (me) are curious, thanks :)
ZED= zonal employee discount

there are two websites you can purchase ZEDs through and depending on the carrier you have to use one or the other. Myidtravel and ID90. For instance, if I want a ZED on Lufthansa I need to buy it through myidtravel. If I want a ZED on Iberia I need to purchase it through ID90

Zonal Employee discount. There’s a chart for Low, Medium, and High. And for mileage - distance you’re going.

ID90 I think is interline discount 90% off.

Use the FLY website to see what airline requires which method. A huge heads up that a lot of places, once you buy ID90, you then have to go into MyIdtravel and create an actual listing with that id90 ticket. “How to book” and “how to list.”

Always pay attention to that!

Most places are MyIdtravel now and booking and listing is same, done in one go. But others not so much. Could be a two step process.

Zonal Employee discount. There’s a chart for Low, Medium, and High. And for mileage - distance you’re going.

ID90 I think is interline discount 90% off.

Use the FLY website to see what airline requires which method. A huge heads up that a lot of places, once you buy ID90, you then have to go into MyIdtravel and create an actual listing with that id90 ticket. “How to book” and “how to list.”

Always pay attention to that!

Most places are MyIdtravel now and booking and listing is same, done in one go. But others not so much. Could be a two step process.
So, it’s also airline specific for the ZED purchaser. Here’s an example:

If I work for Alaska and want to get a ZED on Iberia I need to buy it through ID90, call the reservation line to list.

If I work for Spirit and want to buy the same ZED on Iberia, I just go to myidtravel and buy the ZED and I’m automatically listed.

Basically same thing these days, ID comes from ‘Interline Discount’ and the number corresponds to the discount applied. ID90 means a 90% discount on the base fare. Used to be ID70s as well, which is similar to ZED low/medium/high. All depends on interline agreements as to what the ZED costs.

Just glad we don’t have to carry stacks of paper ZEDs these days and roam around terminals trying to find transfer desks.

So if I want to transfer in say NRT to a foreign carrier, I can get off my domestic carrier flight from the states, bypass customs and check in with the foreign carrier either at the transfer desk or the departure gate? (Or in some cases online)

So if I want to transfer in say NRT to a foreign carrier, I can get off my domestic carrier flight from the states, bypass customs and check in with the foreign carrier either at the transfer desk or the departure gate? (Or in some cases online)

It depends. If you have checked bags, some airports will make you clear immigration, go get your bags, clear customs, and then re check in, regardless if you are doing a domestic or international transfer. Some airports will allow you to clear immigration, and then after getting your bag, go through the transfer system without going through customs. A few places will allow you to transfer prior to customs if you don't have any checked baggage. I *think* NRT is one of these. Of course if you are transferring while staying on the same carrier, you'll be able to transfer straight through whether you have bags or not as long as your flights are on a common locator, or they were able to check you in for both flights at your origination airport.

It depends. If you have checked bags, some airports will make you clear immigration, go get your bags, clear customs, and then re check in, regardless if you are doing a domestic or international transfer. Some airports will allow you to clear immigration, and then after getting your bag, go through the transfer system without going through customs. A few places will allow you to transfer prior to customs if you don't have any checked baggage. I *think* NRT is one of these. Of course if you are transferring while staying on the same carrier, you'll be able to transfer straight through whether you have bags or not as long as your flights are on a common locator, or they were able to check you in for both flights at your origination airport.

Thanks, this is why I avoid checked luggage whenever possible because it gives you maximum ease of passage. I guess my question is like will the transfer desk (or gate agent) assist an R2 standby checking in with the new carrier, because I know when you check in at the ticket counter/main lobby they often hold standbys outside security until they clear you at D-1 hr. Also, U.S. carriers do not check people in at the gate in U.S. hubs, in my experience.

Pretty complicated itinerary to pull off but seems like it would be somewhat common practice as these big hubs have many carriers going to many regions often with little overlap (I.E. HAL gets you to NRT but to go further you need ANA, Korean, etc....). I mean it probably depends on the carrier's check in policy....
Thanks

Thanks, this is why I avoid checked luggage whenever possible because it gives you maximum ease of passage. I guess my question is like will the transfer desk (or gate agent) assist an R2 standby checking in with the new carrier, because I know when you check in at the ticket counter/main lobby they often hold standbys outside security until they clear you at D-1 hr. Also, U.S. carriers do not check people in at the gate in U.S. hubs, in my experience.

Pretty complicated itinerary to pull off but seems like it would be somewhat common practice as these big hubs have many carriers going to many regions often with little overlap (I.E. HAL gets you to NRT but to go further you need ANA, Korean, etc....). I mean it probably depends on the carrier's check in policy....
Thanks
I have connected in NRT a few times. I have generally found I’m able to check in at the gate or a customer service desk nearby. For instance I flew Thai NRT-BKK and had no issues checking in at the gate in NRT (while that would never be allowed in BKK). I’ve also connected to United in NRT and they have customer service desks that will help you.

Back