You're the Aircraft Commander...

falconvalley

Absentee Dad of the OOTSK, Runner, Cat Frustrator
I couldn't start this thread in the "You're the Captain..." forum for some reason wouldn't let me. So, I figured I'd post in here for all you mil-buffs.

Ok, here goes:

You're a new Aircraft Commander on the ever flying KC-135. It's the first night of major air operations over some foreign country that we're trying to liberate ;) . The Wild Weasels have cleared a path in-country for refueling tracks and your first sortie will take you, your crew, and the jet right into the mess. There have been reports of tracer fire and rumors that either an SA-6 or -7 SAM has been sighted in the air uncomfortably close to your assigned track. You know that every asset is needed to make the package work, so with a good working machine, you depart 5 minutes late (second airplane, the first broke halfway through the preflight so 5 minutes behind is pretty darn good, you'd like everyone to think). In the track, it's a beehive of literal confusion. There are airplanes EVERYWHERE and your copilot and boom operator can't get any thing in on the radio...too many people talking tonight. Fighter/bombers aren't even calling in for pre-contact anymore, they're just coming up and joining for fuel. The boom operator isn't recording tail numbers. Too many, too much to do. In fact, you're not sure if the right jets are meeting you. You just know that all the tankers are busy and your boom operator swears that she's seen the same F-18 more than once already. Unbelievable, they're going in for multiple runs.

You see a dashed line of light rising up in the distance. Someone's getting shot at. Hopefully it's someone who can maneuver easily and defend themself. You're currently tweeking the number 3 throttle. The number 3 has been running hotter than the other 3 engines for a few months. It's not critical yet, but the hot desert air isn't helping and the caution light for temperature came on before 60 knots on the runway. Not a good thing when you're heavy and you need 4 good motors for a safe departure, but the mission is critical, so the copilot adjusted the throttle until the light went out before S1 (V1 in civilian speak).

You stare at the gauges, wondering if the number 3 will make it through the deployment. Sure, there must be spare engines, but having to take one more jet off the schedule for maintenance only makes things more complicated for scheduling. The Crew Chief had mentioned that the spare was prepped and readied to be hung on the first jet that needed it. You relax, remembering mission scheduling and maintenance is outside your responsibility right now. You just need to determine if you can safety complete a sortie, safely with what you have and if number 3 has to go, there are people dedicated to doing exactly that and others will schedule a working airplane.

You've seen alot of this particular plane lately, which is unusual because it's a Guard jet and the Active Duty crews have been falling all over each other to fly the favorites. Must be the number 3 scaring them away...it really is a great jet.

A few light bumps in the air and you realize you haven't been paying attention to the busy other two in the airplane for a few seconds. A quick report reveals that a tanker has been lost, possibly shot down. Nobody knows. You look outside as autopilot begins another turn and the autopilot clicks off, AGAIN. Integration. Why won't they buy the new tankers? These things are 40 years of Frankenstein technology. We need equipment that was meant to work together. The copilot's gesture to you as he busily works out the latest coordination with the boom operator tells you all you need to know- You still have the flight controls. Your hands lightly grasp the big yoke and work away in the light chop. It doesn't actually feel heavy, like the peacetime callsign implies, but it does take a little persuasion. You push forward to maintain altitude. Handflying a contact is tricky. Even the aerodynamic bow of an F-18 makes a difference. Plus and minus 50 feet. Not bad, just keep it smooth and predictable. Ok, heading's good, no drift. The autopilot makes things so much easier. Just gotta keep this going until this 18's topped off, then I can try and recouple...

"Scram 7-6, Guard Dog, possible games in your area. Recommend random route."

SAMs. We're near an unkown site and they just turned their radar on. They're looking for US.

The 18's wingman suddenly peels off, letting flares go like it's the 4th of July and the other disconnects and does the same. "--ram 7-6. Up, up! 7-6 CLIMB $#%$%, MISSILE IN THE AIR!!!"

You're only half listening because you have the yoke jammed in your chest and the copilot's giving you as much power as 4 CFM56's, tuned for a 40-year-old airframe can put out without melting some serious turbine. The last transmission to you was probably one of your last customers getting a good look at a smoke trail and you're hoping their opinion was correct and that you don't need to try to juke a KC-135 in 3 dimensions. Maybe just climbing will clear us of danger. Deep down, you know that if you were it's original destination, there's no way of out climbing it. It has about 1200 knots over you already for sure.

You peer out the left side, and see nothing. It's a moonless night and YOU sure as heck can't see any smoke trail. **BAM** A short flash below. You level off and check with Guard Dog, to say you're ok. Guard Dog wants you to go back to the track. As the jet accelerates you reach for the throttles to at least set a lean cruise power for now to get everything in order again. The number 3 caution light is on again and this time you've exceeded 950c. There's no time limit for that high of a temperature, you've flat out overtemped. You really should be heading back and that radar sight is still out there, possibly with more available launchers to hurt you, though they likely left the radar on long enough to be pinpointed and the Wild Weasels nearby will soon be making the desert even hotter for them.

What if there's more of them?

You've definitely got enough fuel to finish the sortie, but you don't want to push your luck. Too many hazards, now. The boom operator isn't answering on the interphone. The copilot is worried she hit her head as you broke away from the contact and climbed. You're about to call in and say you're gonna declare an emergency and head back when the boom operator chimes in, obviously slurring her words and slow, but conscious enough to be wondering why she lost her freakin' receiver. The next customers show up at your track and one of them is bingo fuel, having spent it leaving the last run in a hurry. There's no other tanker available...

Alright, you're the PIC. Have fun :sitaware:

Complete the mission. Then declare an emergency when you eventually RTB. Things are at least better than during the Cold War when tankers had one way missions planned.

MDPilot said:
Then declare an emergency when you eventually RTB.

For what? An overtemp? Land the airplane, and write it up.

If it fails inflight, use the rudder trim. Advance #s 1, 2, and 4 as required to maintain airpseed. Give the receiver a stable platform.

(I've only flown A's and E's, so I might have missed something that is peculiar to R's - - perhaps for a inflight failure of #3, the proper procedure would be to bring #2 to idle and leave the rudder trim alone.)

I lost #3 during Desert Storm during a Combat Sortie. Had I declared an Emergency and turned for home, a whole lot of folks counting on our product (RC-135) would have been at considerable increased risk. More than likely, packages would have been cancelled, and those already in harm's way would have had to abort their missions. It wasn't a peacetime mission. We relayed our condition to the ground, where our replacement was launched early. (Crew rest was interrupted for the replacement crew, and they launched 6 hours earlier than planned.) We remained on station for several hours with 3 engines until the replacement was up and operational. It was only when we contacted tower that we declared an emergency.

I know the things can take-off with 3-engines, because we had data to do it. I don't see the problem with continuing to fly with 3, especially to meet a real world need. The fact that they can land safely with 3 engines has been proven time and time again. Unless you're required to shut down the over-temped engine, you still have 4 to land. Pull #2 and #3 to idle if you're really worried about it. Then if you really need the thrust (hard to imagine) you can overtemp it again. :)

My question would be whether the maintenance guys would let you hang out with them and watch them (or even help them) change the engine. Now THAT's some interesting stuff! :)

Yeah, I was definitely making it more dramatic than it needed to be. The only thing I'd be really worried about is the boom operator's condition.

falconvalley said:
Yeah, I was definitely making it more dramatic than it needed to be. The only thing I'd be really worried about is the boom operator's condition.

Let's see, how do I say this without being accused of being sexist? I have a mother, a wife, and three teenage daughters to answer to...

If she's got a problem, SHE'll let you know. :D

:)

(Shouldn't have gotten rid of the NAVs!!!!! :) )

Na--vi--ga--tor??

Yeah, I came over to tankers just as Pacer Crag was completed at my wing. So, you could say we have to put some "toys" in the airplane everytime we have a nav onboard because "they just have to know where we're going for some reason". :sitaware:

Just razzin' the nav community, lol.

Sounds kind of like UTapao and Cherry Anchor back in the 60s...before we had such niceties as CFM56s...just good 'ol J57s....But I digress...

Make sure the airplane is flyable...first....otherwise nothing else is going to help.

OK, it's flying...check on the crew next...hard to fly a Strato Bladder and refuel all by yourself...because that's your next job...refuel that receiver who's bingo fuel.

Planes flying...crew can accomplish what needs to be done to refuel...then complete the mission.

On the way home, take care of all the rest of the stuff...

At least that's the way I see it after, as my Chief boom operator said,

"Colonel do you realize you've spent over a quarter of a century as a tanker pilot?" Gahhhh....that made me feel OLD!

ROFCIBC said:
At least that's the way I see it after, as my Chief boom operator said,

"Colonel do you realize you've spent over a quarter of a century as a tanker pilot?" Gahhhh....that made me feel OLD!

LOL, I just want a chance to fly. I went through the whole process of being selected and got DQd for "excessive refractive error". Now, I'm starting all over because the slot is gone (given back to Active Duty) and the medical requirements are changing in my favor. Brooks DQs me, someone who was selected after a face to face interview (the Guard unit wanted me not just the next available #) and now they change everything after I'm cut. And they claim that they have these limits for safety reasons...bunch of BS.

Didn't see anything to make me question the flyability of the jet. If there isn't, reduce power on #3 just in case, make sure the BO can do the job, and press on. Used to always tell guys we weren't paid to be comfortable, just to be safe and get the job done. The line was different for different pilots/crews.

Oh, and on the emergency thing.... didn't seem like the location lended itself to that anyway. When I got back to friendly territory, I would have at least wanted a precautionary to have response trucks standing by.

SibePilot311 said:
Didn't see anything to make me question the flyability of the jet. If there isn't, reduce power on #3 just in case, make sure the BO can do the job, and press on. Used to always tell guys we weren't paid to be comfortable, just to be safe and get the job done. The line was different for different pilots/crews.

Spoken like a true Warrier.

I'd be pretty pissed if you brought me back a smoking engine but hey, you gotta get the job done, right!

falconvalley said:
Spoken like a true Warrier.

I'd be pretty pissed if you brought me back a smoking engine but hey, you gotta get the job done, right!

Been a long time since my tanker days, but I remember having to overboost the engines to keep from missing an AR with the sled (SR-71) on an ops sortie. Mx WAS pissed, but luckily the det commander was on the jet that day and knew I did what I had to do....:argue:

too much reading for me...damn A.D.D kicks in but I say stick your head between your legs and kiss your luck goodbye and go for it. 1 out of 4 is out but you still have 3 operating, and as long as the crew is able (maybe not willing but hell, your the AC--you make the decisions) its on like donkey kong. The entire thought process behind most military actions and especially when in combat is to acheieve the objective as that is the most important aspect.

Glory does not come without some pain...

Oh my freakin god! A Tanker story. I love you guys. I just left the tanker for tweets, but I agree with all of the above. This is war, man. That guy who just got shot down, HE'S got the emergency. What WE'VE got is a minor 781 write up.
So basically, I agree with the above steps.

1. Can the airplane and crew fly?--Yes. Especially with the R model, just pull back the number 3 to idle, and pull back the #2 to reduce asymetrics. Guess what? You just became an A-model (actually you STILL have more thrust than an A-model! With water!)

2. Can the airplane and crew complete the mission? Maybe- have the boom check up and report her condition, or maybe send the co-pilot back to check up on her. If she's good to go, then take care of that bingo receiver.

3. Take care of everything else. This would include calling back to C2 to let them know of your minor maintenance issue and letting them know of the missile engagement so they can consider moving the track. At a lull following mission complete, FENCE out and then probably work on that precautionary shut-down on the #3. You'll be landing as an IFE for an overtemped engine that's been shut-down, but now that you're away from the FEBA and not being shot at, more of a peace-time mentality can start to take over.

NKAWTG-N!

fish314 said:
Guess what? You just became an A-model (actually you STILL have more thrust than an A-model! With water!)

Hey, don't dis the steam wagons. You haven't lived until the gravel sniffers in the nose kick off to rotate you....

SibePilot311 said:
Hey, don't dis the steam wagons. You haven't lived until the gravel sniffers in the nose kick off to rotate you....

Hey no disrespect at all! You gotta appreciate the chutzpah required to take off knowing that you are going to see the one board and still be on the runway when you see it! (As #3 or 4, MITO, IFR!!)

fish314 said:
Hey no disrespect at all! You gotta appreciate the chutzpah required to take off knowing that you are going to see the one board and still be on the runway when you see it! (As #3 or 4, MITO, IFR!!)

Wow, I never thought I would see chutzpah appear in a thread on here...

This thread makes me wonder if I should throw the Wake Island excessive heat elimination/fly though a typhoon with no WX radar/smoke in the cockpit/autopilt disconnect refueling F18s with about 1/4 mile vis in the clouds story in here as a new you're the AC scenario. At the very least I always thought it made a good story... :)

Back