You're hired, welcome aboard!

CaliforniaSurfer

You\'re hired, welcome aboard!

Yeah, I got my first flying job. I am now an employed CFI at a part 61 school looking for students, although I've picked one up from a guy who instructs at the school but he's been so busy with the charter side of things that he hasn't got the time.

This particular student is 4 hours into his instrument training and that's where I'll pick it up. After that he's going to get his commercial cert. Pretty exciting stuff, although I bet I don't sleep much tonight...

It's amazing, I wasn't actively looking for this job but the DE for my CFI-CFII-MEI checkrides recommended me to this school and there wasn't even an interview. It's like his recommendation was good enough for them. It's ALL about who you know, but more importantly who knows YOU.

Keep up the hard work guys, there are jobs out there...probably in places you aren't even looking.

Check me out www.hanfordflightcenter.com

Surf

Re: You\'re hired, welcome aboard!

Cool!

Hey, do you ever see a guy named Rick Hildahl around Hanford?

Rick...I don't think so. Although, today was the first day I've ever been to Hanford. I'll keep an eye out.

Who is he?

Hanford, wow!

Make sure you take your students out towards Mefford Field in Tulare (just south of Visalia about 10 NM).

That's where I got my private at! Of course the airfield is mostly abandoned now except for a couple of cropdusters and farmer's private aircraft.

Also, a popular place when you're doing dual XC's out there is to take your students to Harris Ranch (308).

I'm pretty excited for ya! After flying for the airlines thru fantastic times and thru the crappy godforsaken turmoil of today, I'm actually very excited!

My flight instruction days are some of my favorite memories about being a pilot. See, I've got to have my bags dug in by the TSA, get scanned for weapons, enter a code into a cypher lock to get to my flight kit, do about 60 pages of jepps revisions, put in updates to my other flight manuals, sign into a computer, put on a uniform, walk to a gate, get verified by the gate agent who hardly even looks at my ID, and only then do I actually get to an aircraft.

By all means enjoy the freedom of being a CFI. Enjoy that first solo student. In flight while your instrument student is under the hood, take an opportunity to make a funny face at him, knowing full well he won't see you!
smile.gif

Savour the time!

[ QUOTE ]
In flight while your instrument student is under the hood, take an opportunity to make a funny face at him, knowing full well he won't see you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can picture myself doing that....frickin' hilarious.

Doug, Hank, dave, 602, thanks for the props.

[ QUOTE ]
In flight while your instrument student is under the hood, take an opportunity to make a funny face at him, knowing full well he won't see you!

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
grin.gif
So thaaaaaats what you guys do when I'm under the hood. Congrats Surf

[ QUOTE ]
I can picture myself doing that....frickin' hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teaching instrument students was my favorite because it kept you uber sharp and you got a chance to throw in a little "CRM" primer every once in a while.

My worst students were commercial. Because I couldn't demonstrate (or even visualize) a lazy-8 to save my life. So I'd half-ass show them to my students, they'd try their best to perform and I'd pray that the DPE would offer them the option of lazy-8's or chandelles during the checkride.

I dunno, too much information I gather.

Doug, you ever think of picking up a student or two and doing CFI stuff again? I mean it's not like you don't have a lot of time off or nuthin'. Don't you guys work like one week out of the month?

wink.gif

Dave

GRRRR, oh! that was a joke!

I think it'd be really cool to renew my CFI!

But the CFI:student ratio is so uneven, I'd feel bad for the other guys just trying to build time and move on.

However, if I could pick up a simulator job on the side at Simuflite, SimCOM in PHX or one of the type-rating factories out here, that'd be a hoot!

I'm a pretty vocal and opinionated guy, they probably wouldn't want to hire me part time!

'grats, Surf, that is way too awesome.

Best of luck!!!!

Sarah

Hey, one of those Tomahawks on the website isn't 2455C, is it?

Two thumbs WAY up Surf!!!
Congrats!!! I hope to be in your shoes in a few years!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, you ever think of picking up a student or two and doing CFI stuff again? I mean it's not like you don't have a lot of time off or nuthin'. Don't you guys work like one week out of the month?
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah....too much trouble for the money, 20 an hour isnt worth it when you are pulling in 300K a year
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Joking of course
grin.gif

Congrats Surf!! Looking forward to reading your post when you solo a student.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it'd be really cool to renew my CFI!

[/ QUOTE ]

How about being a check pilot or instructor for Delta? <grin>

Riiiiight! If I was making $300k/year, do you think I'd have retired by now!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, one of those Tomahawks on the website isn't 2455C, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Doug, why? Did you used to grace the right seat of 55C? I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Thanks to everybody

Surf

Back