Your worst X-wind experience?

Well in the EMB-145 landing in DFW. Left x-wind 28G42, Right at the max x-wind limit. I pressed the rudder to the floor and the nose still did not line up with the centerline. I asked for help or I will go around, the captain said no it's the last leg. We both were at the controls, we bounced 5 times then max reverse got off at the Z which is 11,000 feet down the runway.

I put in all 5 landings for currency!!

In a C172 I landed in DAL with a 15knot x-wind and a 5 knot tail wind, I lined up on the right side ended the rollout about 20feet from the leftside. The hardest part was controlling the airplane while taxiing. I was flying the airplane while taxing. Takeoff, I heard the stall horn till about 100knots in ground effect climbed out at 120knots because the winds were so gusty. I do not recall the winds.

But with all the bad times, the top five smoothest landings I have had were during x-winds of between 10 to 25 knots. One of those were the passenger does not wake up till the engine turns off at the gate, type of landings. :nana2:

Sounds to me like your bragging... I'm a laid back dude but that is just dangerous and unacceptable... "No we can't go around this is the last leg so lets run off the end of the runway and kill everybody!" Not cool... and you shouldn't be bragging about the other landings because apparently your not as good as you think you are...

I've got about nearly 35kts crosswind component flying into Aspen on the Dash-8, 1 kt below our x-wind limitation! Best landing I ever had.

Sounds to me like your bragging... I'm a laid back dude but that is just dangerous and unacceptable... "No we can't go around this is the last leg so lets run off the end of the runway and kill everybody!" Not cool... and you shouldn't be bragging about the other landings because apparently your not as good as you think you are...

Not being able to line up a 172 in a 15kt cross isn't that exemplary. 25kt cross, ehhh, I'll think about it, but really the max I've ever seen was 33kts in 172 and it wasn't really that bad. Crab and kick!

Watching from the ops office windows at LGB as a 172 was almost thrown over with a left cross wind after landing during a severe day of Santa Ana winds here in So Cal. All I could do is feel for the pilot. I would have crapped my pants!

45G58 70-80 degree in a 210 a few years ago. Embedded storms everywhere and had just missed two approaches. I was new, about to wet my diapers, and really wanted to be on the ground. Even after firmly planted, it hopped from one side of the runway to the other. Had trouble taxiing in because my leg was shaking so much.

It may not be #1, but it ranks high amongst things I wouldn't do again.

Got to love those flx flights I landed in opalocka one night right as the rain crossed the runway as soon as my wheels touched I couldn't see them out the window the rain was so hard had to basicly stop on the runway till it let up because I couldn't see to taxy off. not to mention i was in moderate turbulance whilee stopped. TS FAY was fun as well

My personal limit is about 10kts, anything greater than that and I'll start looking for another airport with either a wider runway or has a runway that better favors the wind.

The worst experience I had was not with a cross-wind, but I caught a nasty downdraft on final about 150-200' AGL in a C150. I didn't try to salvage the landing and just went around and gave myself a little extra altitude on final on the next approach.

Did this bother anyone else other than me?

For sure bothered me. Sounds like something similar to the MD-80 that went off the end of the runway at LIT.

People bitch about other people making comments about RJ pilots, but when things like this happen all it does is reinforce the stereotype.

For sure bothered me. Sounds like something similar to the MD-80 that went off the end of the runway at LIT.

People bitch about other people making comments about RJ pilots, but when things like this happen all it does is reinforce the stereotype.

This sort of thing underlines the fundamental flaw in the way we train pilots, and the progression to the airlines. No one has enough experience at 500TT to be able jump into an RJ and be a billy badass. 250hrs in the right seat of a 172 teaching students does not an affective first officer make, it helps, and its probably better than towing banners, etc. (though making PIC decisions in a mission context is very very helpful I think). Really, I am beginning to think more and more that in order to be an FO at a 121 place hauling pax around you should have to have an ATP. 1500TT, though not exceedingly high, is good enough I think to create an environment of co-captains rather than first officers and captains. I know for a fact that I was not ready to be even in the right seat of the 1900 at 500TT, the learning curve was steep, and some of the nonchillant (sp?) habits I learned from captains are things I'm just now being able to unlearn, and figure out my own style. Co-Captains = Good, Co-Pilots = not so good.
A first officer should be exactly that, the first officer. He/she should be able to complete all of the duties of the captain, in all the same conditions, there should not be a difference between them other than date of hire and seniority number. The captain should never "have" to take the controls, he should only have to request that he fly a particular approach, or take a particular landing because the conditions are such that he would rather be responsible for it, not because he doesn't trust the other pilot to make it succesfully.

And for those of you who know me, you'll see that this is a slight change in opinion, however from reading some threads, and talking to some people, I'm beginning to change my attitude towards some of these CRM things.

-Patrick

I asked for help or I will go around, the captain said no it's the last leg.
borat_not.jpg

Would anyone else refuse to fly with him?

I swear I've landed a Cherokee at a 45-degree angle to the runway centerline. Not pretty in terms of "side load", but the Cherokee is a very forgiving airplane. Do that in the 172 and you might have to seek psychological help for PTSD.

"Worst" in the thread title implies dangerous. And dangerous implies unanticipated out-of-control. I cannot claim any of that.

Being a pilot implies being in control.

Anyway, my most challenging was in a lightly loaded Cherokee with Hershey Bar wings after a very tiring (10 hours) x/c.

Landing RWY 26 winds are 11019G28. On short final the tower reports winds at 33022G38. This just as I rolled wings level from two uncommanded 60 degree rolls. I'm now across the fence but over the grass far to the left of the centerline that I am about to go around when the wind dies between gusts and I proceed with the landing. On roll-out I am full aileron and rudder and still weather vaning across the rwy.

The most challenging other than that was solo in a Citabria landing RWY 29 winds 35012G35 as reported on ATIS. I landed on the highspeed taxiway. I stopped and told the tower I needed a couple of wing walkers before I could make the turn to the ramp.

Landing RWY 26 winds are 11019G28. On short final the tower reports winds at 33022G38. This just as I rolled wings level from two uncommanded 60 degree rolls. I'm now across the fence but over the grass far to the left of the centerline that I am about to go around when the wind dies between gusts and I proceed with the landing. On roll-out I am full aileron and rudder and still weather vaning across the rwy.quote]

So you tried to land with a 60 degree quartering tailwind that was 19G28? And just as you go over the fence you are recovering from 2 uncommanded 60 degree rolls and you didn't go around?

Remind me never to ride in a plane with you. ;)

Heh heh. That should've been 22019G28. And yeah, I said I was just about to go around when the wind died....

Back