Your path to an officer career?

[ QUOTE ]
Just some more info for you, on the Marine side of the house...As someone has written in here already, Marine officer first, pilot second. I've known Marine pilots who have been pulled from their flying duties to be an infantry platoon commander.

[/ QUOTE ]

Know many that get pulled for a time into ANGLICO (ground FAC) jobs. Every Marine aviator should be able to pick up command on the ground easily.
[ QUOTE ]

As far as the selection process goes...I understand that it is very difficult for grad students to get accepted to attend OCS (Officer Candidate School). But you can get a gauranteed flight contract. Providing you pass the air physical and air test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is interesting, since I always thought OCS was specifically for the post-grad; with under-grads attending ROTC. Wonder why the Corps supposedly does it differently?
[ QUOTE ]

Now is a very interesting time to get into Marine Corps aviation with the introduction of the Joint-Strike Fighter, Osprey, and upgrades to the existing helo fleet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marines should be getting some interesting stuff, though I'm still wary of the V-22.

[ QUOTE ]
Every Marine aviator should be able to pick up command on the ground easily.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike D,

I think you are absolutely correct on this. Every Marine a rifleman, Every Marine officer an infantry officer. That is what makes us different from every other branch.
[ QUOTE ]

Which is interesting, since I always thought OCS was specifically for the post-grad; with under-grads attending ROTC. Wonder why the Corps supposedly does it differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

There seem to be several ways in which you can actually attend OCS at Quantico, VA. Many go through the PLC(Platoon Leaders Class) Junior and Seniors. Meaning, if you attend PLC Juniors you can be of the Freshman, Sophmore, or Junior standing at your college or university. Spend six weeks there during a summer, then come back for six more weeks for PLC Seniors during the summer before you actually graduate.

Then there is the method I took because I did not decide to become active in the Marines again till my Junior year. This is the PLC-OCC (Officer Class Combined) which is a one-time 10-week stint in Quantico. Some of the individuals do get a direct commissioning after graduation. However, most go back to school to finish their Senior year.

The ROTC dawgs attend a one-time six weeks session at OCS. They also return to complete their Senior year.

The biggest reason it is done this way, I believe, is so that individual (after already graduating OCS) has the opportunity to decide (for one last time) if he or she really wishes to request and accept a commission in the Marines.

Back