Young Airline Pilots

22 yr old ASA FO. Constantly asked by rampers how old am I or if I had just flown this plane. Constantly stared at in the terminal. Little weird at first but used to it now.

Most of the sweet deals I've seen at the majors are reserved for the ladies. I'm pretty sure the girl who was mentioned at Continental is the same girl who was hired about 4 years out of the right seat of the Saab at Mesaba while her fiance/boyfriend with 2000+ of TPIC couldn't even get an interview. I've met chick captains at United who were hired at times that wouldn't even get a call at some of the better regionals (1000/100).

I also know of two guys who are now at SWA at around 26 years old. Daddy had them both flying before they could drive.

There are also people who worked their tails off and hit the right timing and are also in very good positions (peanuckle and doug).

Most of the sweet deals I've seen at the majors are reserved for the ladies. I'm pretty sure the girl who was mentioned at Continental is the same girl who was hired about 4 years out of the right seat of the Saab at Mesaba while her fiance/boyfriend with 2000+ of TPIC couldn't even get an interview. I've met chick captains at United who were hired at times that wouldn't even get a call at some of the better regionals (1000/100).

I also know of two guys who are now at SWA at around 26 years old. Daddy had them both flying before they could drive.

There are also people who worked their tails off and hit the right timing and are also in very good positions (peanuckle and doug).

We're not suggesting discrimination are we? Surely not....never...never!
Well maybe the ladies in question and the recruiters drank in the same bar the attached sign is in...........

Attachments

• ATT00004.jpg
    ATT00004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 84
***Don't drink hateraide***

I say good for that 19 yr. old hired at XYZ Airways. I say brava for the 25 yr. old CO female, gay, transexual, black, martian captain.

Nepotism is alive and well folks. More epsecially in the airline business. They don't have "friends & family" minums at airlines for nothing.

Worry about the things in your control. And not the things you can't.

You'll live longer, and lead a far more fullfilling life.

I feel so old! But really dont get in a rush to set any records out there. Trust me no one will give a ####, and you're only going to get older, so the cool factor will last about 1 year till you're just like everyone else.

Thanks! So what does that make me, the Crypt Keeper? :drool: :panic: :laff:

Yeah, the girl you're talking about...it's her husband that was an xjt captain for years and he couldn't get a call. She goes to a women in aviation conference and gets an interview (as a regional fo).

It is what it is...I know guys who have tons of PIC time, check airman, A&P mechanic all under their belt, who don't get the call. Yet people who fit a certain demographic with much less experience get a call.

As far as I could tell at CAL....Family and interns get calls quick. The needed demographic groups get calls quick. Then come the guys with 5+ yrs in the left seat at a regional. Hopefully you fit in one of those groups!! Sure there are exceptions, but realistically this is how it looks.

It is what it is...I know guys who have tons of PIC time, check airman, A&P mechanic all under their belt, who don't get the call. Yet people who fit a certain demographic with much less experience get a call.

As far as I could tell at CAL....Family and interns get calls quick. The needed demographic groups get calls quick. Then come the guys with 5+ yrs in the left seat at a regional. Hopefully you fit in one of those groups!! Sure there are exceptions, but realistically this is how it looks.

Bingo! It's like that at many airlines. So, you just need to keep plugging away, try to do the best job you can. Eventually you'll fall into one of those groups.....THEN, you have to hope you get a call.

BTW I've heard Emirates and Cathay Pacific have several heavy jet captains under 30. Talk about set for life....

***Don't drink hateraide***

I say good for that 19 yr. old hired at XYZ Airways. I say brava for the 25 yr. old CO female, gay, transexual, black, martian captain.

Nepotism is alive and well folks. More epsecially in the airline business. They don't have "friends & family" minums at airlines for nothing.

Worry about the things in your control. And not the things you can't.

You'll live longer, and lead a far more fullfilling life.

Nobodies hatin. Just calling it like it is. If I was a hot, bisexual, puerto rican lady, I wouldn't be turning down any job just because I only had a wet commercial multi.

Nothing wrong with keepin it real though :bandit:

Also as for the CAL chick in question, then there must be two of them, because I knew the Mesaba Saab skipper who was dating this particular one, and applying at CAL for years before she ever threw her app. in.

Actually the xjt capt who's wife made it there way before him...He eventually got hired, with his wife there, suddenly he fell into the "family" category!

Back