You have to give him props............

White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett said Thursday on NBC's ``Today'' that flying the jet to the carrier ``is actually safer that a helicopter because you have the ability to eject. In a helicopter, if something goes wrong, you're stuck.''

Once aboard, Bush was having lunch with crew members and taking a tour of the 1,100-foot ship before his evening remarks.

The president was spending the night on the ship, although he was leaving ahead of its arrival into port so his presence would not delay troops' reunion with loved ones.

He will return to land by helicopter.

WHAT??? Why not then send him back on that same S-3?

I hate it when they say how safe it is and then tell me I can't do it because its so dangerous, and more so because of the colors involved.
mad.gif

I should take Bartlett's statement into a flight medical and see how far that gets me.
mad.gif

They could take him out to the ship by helo, but the ship is far enough out that it would take several hours. It's much faster and hell of a more thrill to take the arrested landing on the Lincoln. The ship will be just over the horizon tomorrow, so it will just be a short flight back here to North Island. This place is already busy waiting for his arrival, I'm not looking foward to tomorrows traffic to work. Looks like I'll be heading to work at 3 AM! Great!

I know that this guys gonna be on a ship that could blow up anything that comes near it, but doesn't it pose a safety risk by telling people where the presidents going to be sleeping?

Everyone knows he sleeps in the White House....or Camp David...or wherever he goes in Texas. He's probably safest on the ship!
smirk.gif

Not many people outside the Military know exactly where the CV Group is, either. Easier to hide a CV then it is to hide the White House. <grin> Gotta find it before you can hit it.

Paul

No, I *don't* have to give that buffoon props; that's what's great about America.

On his "derring-do" today, I find it totally ironic that the Secret Service vetoed Bush's idea of flying out in a Hornet because they couldn't protect him; there HAS to be an agent nearby at all times if Bush is in the presence of almost anyone else, lest they should attempt to off him. In a U.S. military fighter even! Pretty sad day when you can't even trust one of America's best.

Did anyone else catch that the pilot caught the four-wire? A bolter would've been REAL embarrassing for the Navy. Also, the helo return is probably safer than the cat stroke; those things have been known to shove airplanes off the deck at less than flying speed.
shocked.gif

>> I find it totally ironic that the Secret Service vetoed Bush's idea of flying out in a Hornet because they couldn't protect him; there HAS to be an agent nearby at all times if Bush is in the presence of almost anyone else, lest they should attempt to off him. In a U.S. military fighter even! Pretty sad day when you can't even trust one of America's best.<<

I think it is as much to do with if anything happened to that pilot i.e. heart attack, fainted, etc with the president on board.

I thought the landing was actually pretty good. With cargo like that onboard I think a bolter is better then slamming into the back to the vessle.

[ QUOTE ]
>> I find it totally ironic that the Secret Service vetoed Bush's idea of flying out in a Hornet because they couldn't protect him; there HAS to be an agent nearby at all times if Bush is in the presence of almost anyone else, lest they should attempt to off him. In a U.S. military fighter even! Pretty sad day when you can't even trust one of America's best.<<

I think it is as much to do with if anything happened to that pilot i.e. heart attack, fainted, etc with the president on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that were the case to not have Bush fly on an F/A-18, the same case could be made for him flying the S-3, there's only one pilot up front besides him there too.

I think the SS should needs to realize that not everyone is a potential "enemy of the state", and out to get the President; especially the officers of his military.

MD

There was another pilot in the aircraft...probably sitting in the TACCO seat (back right) in case of an emergency.

VS-35 X.O. was the pilot. The C.O. flew the first a/c. They had some airframers "volunteer" to come in and paint the President's name on the a/c the night they came home.

Back