Yet another fatal accident, 6 people in a Bonanza today

CK

Well yesterday it was the Lear 24, that killed 2 people, then the Seneca that killed 4 people. Then today a 727 crashed killing over 60, and just now a Bonanza crashed in Las Vegas killing 6 people. What the hell is up with all these crashes, every one please fly safe this holiday season.:(

Bonanza crash:http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/national/C32795/

Ouch...
frown.gif

Far down on the news list in Los Angeles today but 4 were killed while trying to land on Catalina Island (KAVX) in IMC yesterday. Plane took off from Long Beach, went missed at AVX 25 minutes later, and hit one of the mountains on the island while trying to land again.

Bites. I didn't know a Bonanza could actually hold six people...

I was a bit surprised too when I heard 6 people were involved....My condolences to the families of the victims, as if the holiday season didn't stress people out enough....
frown.gif

For the rest of your piloting career, do not try to be the super stud pilot. Know you and your planes limits. I only say that because the light aircraft that crashed put these basic questions in mind. 1) Was there even a weight check, etc. especially on that Bonanza with six people 2) was the pilot who missed at catalina in above his head by the time he crashed?
I hate to hear about any crash and my heart goes out to the family, but I really can't the senseless deaths that result from opting to ignore basic stuff!!!!!!!!

Many bonanzas have six seats (of course you probably can't have more than half tanks or so with normal size people occupying those seats) and the catalina island crash had an ATP behind the yoke.....

To me, the Catalina crash read like CFIT. The VOR approach into the airport (no ILS) has an MDA of 2440, roughly 900 feet higher than the airport elevation. Anyone who has flown into Catalina knows there is some tricky terrain and going missed, the pilot may have elected to just get over open water and head back to Long Beach instead of executing the published missed. Did that and flew right into the mountain.

Bill (Henry) Waldman was probably the pilot flying. In the words of a mutual friend, "This was not only a great loss to the Waldman family, but also to California Wing [Civil Air Patrol]. Bill was one of the best. A Chief Check Pilot, a phenomenal instructor pilot, a great sense of humor, and one who loved to fly cadets, searches, border missions, and just be a part of anything involving CAP flying. I treasure the memories of his participation at our Long Beach shindigs and am saddened beyond belief by his passing. For those who never met Bill, believe me, you missed meeting a great guy. Join Mike and the rest of the guys and gals in a silent prayer and not so silent tribute to a great guy." Vivian too was a great person, one that would give anyone the shirt off her back, time of day, or just listen to you without judging.

Six people in an A36 is just fine, one has to be mindful of fuel loads and weight and balance, a topic Bill taught to all of his students.

It is way too early to guess what happened. I'm hoping it was a mechanical problem. Having one of your flight instructors/mentors make a fatal mistake is difficult.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

The Vegas Bonanza crash was pretty bad, from the photos it looks like they may have all burned to death. Especially sad as it pretty much wiped out a whole family--the pilot and his wife, their daughter and son in law, and their two grandkids. I never met the pilot but probably crossed paths with him in Oct at the CA Wing conference, and know plenty of people who did know him, in any case.

[ QUOTE ]
To me, the Catalina crash read like CFIT. The VOR approach into the airport (no ILS) has an MDA of 2440, roughly 900 feet higher than the airport elevation. Anyone who has flown into Catalina knows there is some tricky terrain and going missed, the pilot may have elected to just get over open water and head back to Long Beach instead of executing the published missed. Did that and flew right into the mountain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the MDA is 2440... apt elv is 1602'... BUT there is a huge mountain near the VOR that peaks at 2135'... so basically you have nearly the minimum clearance in the TERPs for a non precision.

The guy went missed the first time; and at AVX if there is any marine layer at all the airport is likely to be actually inside it; and 12/24 was the day before that big storm on Christmas.
crazy.gif

I believe the N number was N3747U. Can anyone verify this?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the N number was N3747U. Can anyone verify this?

[/ QUOTE ]
N3747U is a PA34-200T from Carson City, NV.
Not a Beech.

Back