Yemen Air Crash

I know it is not rational, but it seems everytime my family travels internationally, this happens. Last year it was Spanair, two days before they headed to Madrid. This stinks! RIP

Getting ready to travel to South America on Thursday, so I know how you feel. Glad to say that all flights will be in Boeing products though.:clap:

GPS will not work underwater and even if the boxes did float, which is a good idea, the chances are it would be bolted to a part of the fuselage that does not float.

They could tie the box to an inertial switch in the event of impact it would detach itself, or
in the event of a water landing(if there was a landing attempted) they could use blowout bolts (just like on the shuttle) that could be water activated as well. This would detach it from the fuselage.

Now the issue i see here is have something explosive on the airplane (the bolt), that maybe any short could trigger. In any case the box would be floating and at least now it is visible..and if it was GPS equipped it wouldnt be above water.

I heard they were developing a new FDR/CVR system that would detach itself from the airplane.

Maybe it's back to the drawing board..good point though.

Then I imagine you'd have the issue of the explosive device accidentally setting off and breaching the hull - ironically causing an accident.

Most of these aircraft go down in areas where S&R can get there pretty quickly, so finding the boxes isn't nearly as difficult as with the AF accident. I think that was really an anomaly.

I think the problem seems to be these old mainline pilots. Dangerous and complacent. I'd question putting my loved ones on a plane with these guys.

Info thus far...
Night approach. Other boards are saying the airfield was a difficult field and the approach to 20 is no walk in the park. Termed a classic black hole approach. NO ILS to 20 but there is one to 02. Winds were 190-210 gusting to 35kts. Reports say aircraft missed first approach. Miss takes you out over the water.

The A310 is a shortened version of the A300 and is NOT FBW. More than 250 A310s built with last built in late 1990s. This aircraft was built in 1990 and seems to have been with ILFC for most of its life. 17000+ flights and almost 52000flt hours.

The only carrier in the US to fly 310s was Delta which got some through the PANAM merger and later ordered some. The aircraft was retired fairly quickly. FedEX operates more than 70 A310s as freighters and has reportedly decided to retire it and the A300s due to the economic downturn.

Here are the approaches.Note the approach to 20. The french translates to make sure you keep the lights off to your left. The other comments on turbulence on approach.
http://www.ais-asecna.org/en/atlas/comores/moroni.htm

There have been 8 or 9 hull losses with about 673 fatalities. The -310 has been involved in 10 hijackings.

Night, blackhole approach, possible fatigue, gusty winds, overwater on miss.

CFIT?

Originally Posted by mtsu_av8er
I think the problem seems to be these old mainline pilots. Dangerous and complacent. I'd question putting my loved ones on a plane with these guys.
So you have information on the Yemeni crew? And you consider the airline 'mainline'?

Interesting.

The A310 is a shortened version of the A330 and is NOT FBW.
310 is a shortened version of the old A300.

CNN just reported they pulled a young child that is alive from the water
Outstanding!!! :D:D
Getting ready to travel to South America on Thursday, so I know how you feel. Glad to say that all flights will be in Boeing products though.:clap:

Well, my wife and kid are crossing the pond in a A330. Looks like US Airways has replaced all the pitot tubes though.

This story made me look up the girl that survived the NWA crash in Detroit in the 80s. Turns out she graduated college and is doing well, at least that is what I could find in a 5 min Google search.

They are now saying it is a 14 yr old girl? I am just there was at least one survivor.

Same here. It would have to be a surreal feeling to find that you are the lone survivor of an airline crash. Surely life-changing.

And LOL at your sig; I just finished watching it on AMC.

My type rating actually says, "A310" even though I fly the A300-600. The "A300" type is for the A300-B4 model which requires a flight engineer. I did all my training in a A310 sim at Flight Safety in MIA. The A310 is like the B757 and the A300 is like the B767 size wise but the cockpit layout is the same.

The only carrier in the US to fly 310s was Delta which got some through the PANAM merger and later ordered some. The aircraft was retired fairly quickly. FedEX operates more than 70 A310s as freighters and has reportedly decided to retire it and the A300s due to the economic downturn.

Last I checked FedEx currently flies both the A310 and A300's and they are a US carrier.

Last I checked FedEx currently flies both the A310 and A300's and they are a US carrier.

I noted FEDEX in the comment but failed to add 'passenger' in the sentence "The only carrier...". And thought the differentiation might be apparent by the comment 'as freighters. My error. Thanks for noting the confusing sentence.
Originally Posted by Orange Anchor

Back