Yeager.......driving his plane into a ditch.

I'm volunteering at NBAA this week. I saw Phil Boyer and Chuck Yeager doing the autograph and picture show this morning.

Sheesh the guy looks OLD!

[ QUOTE ]

Sheesh the guy looks OLD!

[/ QUOTE ]

HE IS!!!

Seriously though, I know he is embarassed, but as we all know there is no reason to be. Everyone at some point in time has been caught off guard by a gusty crosswind.

It shows how careful we all need to be - if it happens to probably the most experienced aviator in history - as sure as hell it can happen to us.

I heard he used to go out with friends, and fly low level along the road - there goal to see who could leave the deepest gash in the road from their prop (this was done in the P-51s). After they were done they would drive out and compare. I am not sure if it is true or not - sure is an awesome story though.

I knew a guy who flew out of Edwards and said that Yeager's rep was one of a phallus.

Yeah I heard the same thing.

I didn't hear him talk or anything today, so he seemed just like another old geezer hanging around the airport. You know the type.

[ QUOTE ]
so he seemed just like another old geezer hanging around the airport. You know the type.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I got to see Col. Robert Morgan, the commander of the Memphis Belle, at Sun-N-Fun. Talk about OLD... but, DAMN was I awestruck!!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I knew a guy who flew out of Edwards and said that Yeager's rep was one of a phallus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeager lives in Grass Valley, CA, and some friends of mine who grew up up there used to sneak around in the woods near his property. The story goes that Chuck didn't like it so well, and ended up leaving salt pellets in their asses from his 12 gauge.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but it's funny image.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I got to see Col. Robert Morgan, the commander of the Memphis Belle, at Sun-N-Fun. Talk about OLD... but, DAMN was I awestruck!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! I was barely able to stumble out a hello. I'm originally from Memphis, TN, so once we got to talking about Memphis and the Belle, it kinda went from there. So now I have pictures of me standing next to the Memphis Belle AND her pilot. I had been meaning to buy his autobiography anyway. Getting it signed was just an added bonus.

Back