Yankee X-ray hiring [emoji848]

I did not take the recall so I don’t mind to explain how the process went down. December 4th, I received an email with the recall notification. It gave us 10 days to decide (December 14th). We then had to report on the 19th or ask for a 15 day extension.

We also got a call from HR on the 4th basically stating the same thing in the email. We were to receive a certified letter dated December 4th, but I did not receive it until December 12th, so take that for what it’s worth. Plus, in both the letter and the email one of the manager’s email address had a typo, but I’m sure others noticed that as well.

I did not hear a thing from either the Union nor Republic from April 28th to December 4th. I did not expect to at all, but a “Hey are you still alive?” would have been nice from someone.

No one in my hiring class is still working there. I don’t have any more numbers to share as I don’t know any more than that. There were many reasons I declined the recall: I broke a lease, I’m back in school, I (finally) have a decent job again. I hope my brothers and sisters are as fortunate as I have been.

Finally, I will say that I probably won’t ever be a dispatcher again. I loved this profession and the people I have met over the years. I hope to be wrong about that one, but time will tell. I wish everyone reading this the best and don’t give up if this profession is your dream.

I did not take the recall so I don’t mind to explain how the process went down. December 4th, I received an email with the recall notification. It gave us 10 days to decide (December 14th). We then had to report on the 19th or ask for a 15 day extension.

We also got a call from HR on the 4th basically stating the same thing in the email. We were to receive a certified letter dated December 4th, but I did not receive it until December 12th, so take that for what it’s worth. Plus, in both the letter and the email one of the manager’s email address had a typo, but I’m sure others noticed that as well.

I did not hear a thing from either the Union nor Republic from April 28th to December 4th. I did not expect to at all, but a “Hey are you still alive?” would have been nice from someone.

No one in my hiring class is still working there. I don’t have any more numbers to share as I don’t know any more than that. There were many reasons I declined the recall: I broke a lease, I’m back in school, I (finally) have a decent job again. I hope my brothers and sisters are as fortunate as I have been.

Finally, I will say that I probably won’t ever be a dispatcher again. I loved this profession and the people I have met over the years. I hope to be wrong about that one, but time will tell. I wish everyone reading this the best and don’t give up if this profession is your dream.

I let my 10 days lapse to buy someone else time who didn’t return. My separation letter says I was terminated for failure to abide by the contract, when the contract says failure to reply is considered voluntary resignation.

The letter also said I should have had flight benefits through the date of my “termination.”

Proof reading isn’t one of their skills, which isn’t surprising.

The HR person assigned to dispatch there is udderly useless, and those that have dealt with her can verify.

I let my 10 days lapse to buy someone else time who didn’t return. My separation letter says I was terminated for failure to abide by the contract, when the contract says failure to reply is considered voluntary resignation.

The letter also said I should have had flight benefits through the date of my “termination.”

Proof reading isn’t one of their skills, which isn’t surprising.

The HR person assigned to dispatch there is udderly useless, and those that have dealt with her can verify.
That's crazy, but I'm not surprised... I interviewed for YX for dispatch in late 2019. I applied 5 times, and it took a email from my friend who is a captain for them to finally give me an interview. The HR/Talent lady who interviewed me is horrible at communicating, and the manager of dispatch wasn't exactly the friendly type. During my interview, he said... "This is your last chance to redeem yourself... Why should we hire you?" When he said that, I wanted to walk out. Just hearing that tells me that it's a toxic culture.

S
That's crazy, but I'm not surprised... I interviewed for YX for dispatch in late 2019. I applied 5 times, and it took a email from my friend who is a captain for them to finally give me an interview. The HR/Talent lady who interviewed me is horrible at communicating, and the manager of dispatch wasn't exactly the friendly type. During my interview, he said... "This is your last chance to redeem yourself... Why should we hire you?" When he said that, I wanted to walk out. Just hearing that tells me that it's a toxic culture.

I’m assuming that was the guy between the directors and the duty managers (trying not to say names). He was actually the best part of management past the duty managers. You could tell he cared, but his hands were tied by the director who didn’t care about the people at all.

As someone who currently works at YX, let me give everyone an insight to what it is really like working here since the people above have never worked there for more than a year.

It sucks. Just like the rest of the regionals. Pay sucks. Just like all the other regionals. Culture sucks. Just like all the other regionals. Schedule sucks. Just like all the other regionals.

YX is one of the TOP performing regionals because of dispatch. We know how to recover and we know how to operate well because of our SOC people. No one would know that on this thread because all you hear is terrible things about YX frequently. The people above were battered and bruised. I would be mad at YX too if I was furloughed. What YX did was a business decision. Was it right? No, absolutely not. Was it illegal? No it wasn't. YX did what it needed to do to survive. Not once did YX dispatch take a pay cut or a job share like all the other regionals AND majors have done. We fly nice planes and we have nice co-workers that do care for one another. It is difficult working for a boss that just doesn't care, it sucks, but the LOVELY thing about dispatch is that it is YOUR license, not theirs, and they do not tell me how to dispatch. I see my managers once a year and that is how dispatchers like it. That is why you go to an airline that is unionized. No one tells me how to fuel and no one tells me what is best for my flights.

Also, we are getting planes DELIVERED monthly from AA. Not leasing, buying. Delivered a brand new one from Brazil a couple weeks ago and rumored to receive around ten more this year. We are EOW certified and one of the only regionals to fly EOW routes. A rare regional you can get International, Flag, Domestic, AND Supplemental ops from. Also three Code shares. Imagine working three code shares and knowing how each one likes to operate. Also, the crews are PHENOMENAL. I work with the best pilots and it is a great working relationship to have.

13/33 coming back is well a really bad number. But these people that didn't come back more than likely didn't have the MONEY to move back and yeah probably found a better job at Home Depot with a better schedule and same pay than Republic. If I would have been furloughed, I wouldn't have come back either. Family isn't here and no job to keep me here so why would I stay? A raging pandemic with up in the air unemployment and yeah, money would have been tight...probably wouldn't have come back either. They all had their reasons and anger was probably the top one. I DON'T BLAME THEM. Would have thrown up the middle finger driving out of Indy, as well.

Regionals are not supposed to be the jobs you stay at for the long term. They are a place to learn and to gain experience. Get in and get out. IT SUCKS what these people went through above, but it is time to be adults and to stop talking badly about other airlines. We all know who these people are above and they all continue to ask for references for jobs and we all remember these threads. So news to the newbies, the aviation industry is small and we all know each other so don't talk crap on an "anonymous" forums and think that you won't be known. All airlines have their pro's and con's. It is good when it is good and bad when it is bad. If you can't handle being furloughed and the volatility, then don't work in aviation.

All in all, I am glad I work at YX. I have learned and been trained by some of the best people in the industry. My knowledge and patience has grown. I have also been humbled quite a bit by this place which seems to missing from the people above. I learn every single day I work and thank my lucky stars that I still have a job in the profession and industry I love. If anyone wants a true account to what it is like to work for Republic Airways, please feel free to DM me. If I would have taken the information I had from outside the industry four years ago, I would have ended up at Express Jet and been out of the job for good. The people above have no idea what is going on currently at YX and it is evident.

Are we really going to try and justify furloughing dispatchers just before they accepted federal money, that is designed to protect pay and prevent furloughs, as a business decision? Just because it's not illegal doesn't make it any less scummy.

Are we really going to try and justify furloughing dispatchers just before they accepted federal money, that is designed to protect pay and prevent furloughs, as a business decision? Just because it's not illegal doesn't make it any less scummy.

Never said that it wasn't scummy. People seem to forget that RPA didn't accept the money before furloughing and had NO IDEA if they would have been able to receive money at the time they furloughed. They furloughed less than 10% of what was allowed and had to re-write their agreements with the three codeshares so they could receive funding. RPA is not publicly traded and United, Delta, and American own a share of RPA. They had to re-write their agreements to receive money and ask the 3 codeshares if they could let the government have a share of the company. RPA furloughed while in negotiations with the government and then received money.

SCUMMY but business. We all can't be the LUV's of the airline world. Airline business is tough and this pandemic is THE worst set-back to have ever happened to the airline industry. Me justifying what happened to the people who were furloughed is not saying "ooohhh poor RPA, they meant no harm." It is me being realistic and knowing money is the root of all airline evil.

Also, someone from each hiring class did come back. The people above have no idea what is going on currently at RPA, who or when they came back, and/or current issues going on at RPA.

Don't want to dispatch for RPA? Don't. Simple.

Never said that it wasn't scummy. People seem to forget that RPA didn't accept the money before furloughing and had NO IDEA if they would have been able to receive money at the time they furloughed. They furloughed less than 10% of what was allowed and had to re-write their agreements with the three codeshares so they could receive funding. RPA is not publicly traded and United, Delta, and American own a share of RPA. They had to re-write their agreements to receive money and ask the 3 codeshares if they could let the government have a share of the company. RPA furloughed while in negotiations with the government and then received money.

SCUMMY but business. We all can't be the LUV's of the airline world. Airline business is tough and this pandemic is THE worst set-back to have ever happened to the airline industry. Me justifying what happened to the people who were furloughed is not saying "ooohhh poor RPA, they meant no harm." It is me being realistic and knowing money is the root of all airline evil.

Also, someone from each hiring class did come back. The people above have no idea what is going on currently at RPA, who or when they came back, and/or current issues going on at RPA.

Don't want to dispatch for RPA? Don't. Simple.

Living the airline life isn't for the faint of heart -- we at the dispatch desks, working across from MX controllers, working across from crew schedulers -- we ALL should know it because it's a different sense of "getting down and dirty." Listen too some of the phone calls every once in a while instead of putting in headphones and just click click click sending your ways through the shifts.
Thank you @rwyadclsd for the anecdotes and your looks in to the OOC life just a bit further Midwest than my own regional experience was.

To hit a point I myself learned quite several hard ways: "QOL" gets missed a lot. I feel like some good folks get some tunnel vision of this job and this aviation career, and miss the QOL. If you're just lurking through the forums and this thread, it's Quality of Life.

I gave another regionaal lifestyle a shot, I dispatched and loved it, but barely a week into indoc I had my car broken into. Bam. Lost nearly everything I owned. Month after I signed some lease agreement at an apartment complex, the neighbors left something on in their kitchen aaaand the place burned down. Cool. .

Regardless of where you work,
It's your license. It's not the company's. It's your life. It's not your employer's. I wasn't getting nearly any relief, or any differences you'll feel waking up/clocking out/going to sleep. Hell even the CASS privileges weren't giving much joy, but you gotta realize this QOL and if the situation needs to change, do what you gotta. Don't like life at your regional? It'd surprise me if you did. It's supposed to be an experience. Get through it, move on.

Again, thanks @rwyadclsd for the posts. Sorry, I didn't mean to shift the topic of this too too much.

(You should've seen my ACARS free texts.)

You would think that a few anonymous internet posts would not be the deciding factor of your career. Don't forget the CRM/DRM and operational control topics discussed while earning the certificate and training at an operation.

This is just some advice for those with a newly minted cert. Remember to welcome the input, resources and discussions. Consider it all. You'll be able to make an educated decision to best fit your needs, just like when sitting on that desk.

I'm not part of the YX group but if I were to do it all over again, I would've tried any of the regionals to get my foot in the door for the real world experience. None of the airlines are perfect, no one job is flawless and life isn't always ideal. You manage and you make it work. Then all of the sudden, some years down the road, you're some ASI/POI asking some noob about his thoughts on the 7030 and SUPPS.

As someone who currently works at YX, let me give everyone an insight to what it is really like working here since the people above have never worked there for more than a year.

It sucks. Just like the rest of the regionals. Pay sucks. Just like all the other regionals. Culture sucks. Just like all the other regionals. Schedule sucks. Just like all the other regionals.

YX is one of the TOP performing regionals because of dispatch. We know how to recover and we know how to operate well because of our SOC people. No one would know that on this thread because all you hear is terrible things about YX frequently. The people above were battered and bruised. I would be mad at YX too if I was furloughed. What YX did was a business decision. Was it right? No, absolutely not. Was it illegal? No it wasn't. YX did what it needed to do to survive. Not once did YX dispatch take a pay cut or a job share like all the other regionals AND majors have done. We fly nice planes and we have nice co-workers that do care for one another. It is difficult working for a boss that just doesn't care, it sucks, but the LOVELY thing about dispatch is that it is YOUR license, not theirs, and they do not tell me how to dispatch. I see my managers once a year and that is how dispatchers like it. That is why you go to an airline that is unionized. No one tells me how to fuel and no one tells me what is best for my flights.

Also, we are getting planes DELIVERED monthly from AA. Not leasing, buying. Delivered a brand new one from Brazil a couple weeks ago and rumored to receive around ten more this year. We are EOW certified and one of the only regionals to fly EOW routes. A rare regional you can get International, Flag, Domestic, AND Supplemental ops from. Also three Code shares. Imagine working three code shares and knowing how each one likes to operate. Also, the crews are PHENOMENAL. I work with the best pilots and it is a great working relationship to have.

13/33 coming back is well a really bad number. But these people that didn't come back more than likely didn't have the MONEY to move back and yeah probably found a better job at Home Depot with a better schedule and same pay than Republic. If I would have been furloughed, I wouldn't have come back either. Family isn't here and no job to keep me here so why would I stay? A raging pandemic with up in the air unemployment and yeah, money would have been tight...probably wouldn't have come back either. They all had their reasons and anger was probably the top one. I DON'T BLAME THEM. Would have thrown up the middle finger driving out of Indy, as well.

Regionals are not supposed to be the jobs you stay at for the long term. They are a place to learn and to gain experience. Get in and get out. IT SUCKS what these people went through above, but it is time to be adults and to stop talking badly about other airlines. We all know who these people are above and they all continue to ask for references for jobs and we all remember these threads. So news to the newbies, the aviation industry is small and we all know each other so don't talk crap on an "anonymous" forums and think that you won't be known. All airlines have their pro's and con's. It is good when it is good and bad when it is bad. If you can't handle being furloughed and the volatility, then don't work in aviation.

All in all, I am glad I work at YX. I have learned and been trained by some of the best people in the industry. My knowledge and patience has grown. I have also been humbled quite a bit by this place which seems to missing from the people above. I learn every single day I work and thank my lucky stars that I still have a job in the profession and industry I love. If anyone wants a true account to what it is like to work for Republic Airways, please feel free to DM me. If I would have taken the information I had from outside the industry four years ago, I would have ended up at Express Jet and been out of the job for good. The people above have no idea what is going on currently at YX and it is evident.
I’ve got no skin in the Republic game and graduated from regional life long ago but I’d be careful about making not-so-veiled threats towards the people above, rwyadclsd. Everyone knows this is a small industry, and some may know who you are if you ever decide to move on from Republic as well. Friendly advice. Take it or leave it.

I’ve got no skin in the Republic game and graduated from regional life long ago but I’d be careful about making not-so-veiled threats towards the people above, rwyadclsd. Everyone knows this is a small industry, and some may know who you are if you ever decide to move on from Republic as well. Friendly advice. Take it or leave it.

Hi new member allegiant, not once did I make a threat to someone's career, nor would I. I am of no importance. Just asked to be adults. Apologies if it made it seem like i would or could. Just don't believe that how RPA is depicted on here is accurate. One person gives the bad, I give the good. I stated numerous times in my post that the people who were furloughed have the absolute right to be angry and all of their co-workers were angry right with them. It was not right, but would I recommend RPA to get dispatch experience from? Yes 100% as well as all of the other regionals who are lucky enough to hire this year.

Not once did YX dispatch take a pay cut or a job share like all the other regionals AND majors have done.

I don't disagree with most of what you had to say, but I would be careful about making blanket statements. I know for a fact that not all of the passenger majors took a pay cut or instituted a job share program...since I work for one of the ones that didn't. Now, as for early out packages, voluntary pay/hours reduction programs - yes, there were a couple of those, but they were all entirely voluntary and not everyone participated. I don't know much about job share programs but at the places that instituted them, I believe they were voluntary as well.

Back