XJT policy on Child Restraint Devices

deadstick

I can't find any info on the CAL website and have a question for any XJTer out there who has an ops manual handy. I am looking at traveling with the fam this holiday season and need to ensure the AMSAFE CARES harness is approved. It's STC'd by the FAA, but....

Thanks for any info.

http://www.amsafe.com/products/detail.php?id=6&type=categories
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

photoright.jpg

It depends on the type of tray table XJet has.

If it's a recessed table, they won't work. Unless you're in the back row.... Or if the person behind you doesn't mind not being able to use their tray table.

It's a pretty innovative concept for a child restraint.

They're fairly new, and a lot of F/As out there may not have seen one before....

The only picture I have that includes a tray table is from a branded plane. I'm 99% sure the design is the same (just different material over the seat and a different seat cushion).

I still don't know if that restraint will work, but maybe this will help figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 123
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/How-To-Use/installing-cares.aspx

FYI: When installing the harness, you lower the table to install the strap and then close it up. The table is fully functional.

As long as it's NOT a recessed tray table. If the table recesses into the seat, it will not work in that way.

edit: The tray tables shown in the picture are not recessed tray tables. That harness would work on those seats. Be advised however, that each airline may have their own regulations as far as the use of these devices. If a device is unknown to the F/A, and it's not specifically allowed in their manuals, you may not be allowed to use it.

Recessed tray table: Note how the tray table fully "recesses" into the seat back.

female-airline-stewardess_~55913540.jpg

Compare that to these tray tables, which fold up against the back of the seat, but do not recess into the seats, this is most noticed along the sides of the table:

attachment.php

so, with the CARES thingy above, even with the recessed table, couldn't you still put down the tray table and then just tighten up the strap a little bit? and then put it around it? Cause it looks like the strap that goes around the chair part is adjustable so, shouldn't it still work? am I missing something? I think I am... It also looks like in the web site above the "how to" video has the recessed trays too (or maybe i don't see the difference yet?)

No, if you tighten the belt around a seat with the recessed table down, the table will not lock into place. The sides of the seat where the table recesses into will prevent the table from closing all the way.

You could put the belt around a seat with a recessed table while the tray table is up and locked, but then that tray table would not be able to be lowered with the strap in place.

It would be a WHOLE lot easier to explain if I had better pictures. The main difference between recessing tray tables and non-recessing tray tables is along the sides of the tray table when it's stowed & locked.

You're welcome :)

It's hard to explain without really good visuals or being able to just show it in person.... so I can understand how it can be confusing!

Back