XJT FIL

triple7

Things over on the xjt forum are going banannas....people are flipping out over a projected number of furloughs. On the surface the number does seem quite high, but in comes Capt Bob to save the day with a voice of reason. At least he made me feel a little better. Thanks Bob.

Hang tight... it will be a bumpy ride... but we'll all make it through.

Some folks are going nuts over there after seeing the initial perm bid with the reductions allocated. I have to admit... I too was in shock when I first saw it this morning. But upon taking a step back... re-reading it a few times... and realizing that the language like "estimated" is bolded... and the "effective date" is up to 8 months away... combined with info from our union released almost simultaneously... it really paints a better picture than just taking the document as a singular truth.

The problem is... that a lot of folks didn't get the union e-mail and haven't called their reps to get the straight scoop. So... there was a lot of panic in the ranks this morning.

For those of you wondering... the numbers should be close to what has already been discussed on here in the previous thread. It's just that the perm-bid showed what appeared to be a much higher number. Folks forgot that the perm-bid only shows "active" slots, and that we have several hundred pilots on the seniorty list that don't fly due to being management, over 65/training, ULA's, MLA's, etc.

In addition... the perm-bid is not accounting for any COLA's, Early Retirement packages, normal attrition, and other furlough mitigating options the union and company are working on.

I say this to everyone... no matter what company you work for, or where you sit on your company's seniority list. Get the straight scoop from your union rep or your CP. Don't rely on the forum websites to get info that can affect you, your job, and your family. You'll go nuts trying to decipher what's true and what's slanted info.. and it will only stress you out even more.

Thanks for the kind words though... it's appreciated.

Bob

To be honest, this FIL is INCREDIBLY confusing. My buddies in the know are saying "We're only gonna furlough 400," then union says, "We're overstaffed by 717, but we're gonna put 437 in bold," and the pipe says, "OMGZ WE'RE GONNA FURLOUGH THE ENTIRE COMPANY!"

Now I ain't that good with numbers, but 437 ain't 717, and with the data we've been given so far, I see them as saying that they'll furlough 717 starting here in a few weeks, and that will eventually be scaled back to 437 come March 1st.

At least that's how the FIL reads to me...

Some folks are going nuts over there after seeing the initial perm bid with the reductions allocated. I have to admit... I too was in shock when I first saw it this morning. But upon taking a step back... re-reading it a few times... and realizing that the language like "estimated" is bolded... and the "effective date" is up to 8 months away... combined with info from our union released almost simultaneously... it really paints a better picture than just taking the document as a singular truth.

The problem is... that a lot of folks didn't get the union e-mail and haven't called their reps to get the straight scoop. So... there was a lot of panic in the ranks this morning.

For those of you wondering... the numbers should be close to what has already been discussed on here in the previous thread. It's just that the perm-bid showed what appeared to be a much higher number. Folks forgot that the perm-bid only shows "active" slots, and that we have several hundred pilots on the seniorty list that don't fly due to being management, over 65/training, ULA's, MLA's, etc.

In addition... the perm-bid is not accounting for any COLA's, Early Retirement packages, normal attrition, and other fulough mitigating options the union and company are working on.

I say this to everyone... no matter what company you work for, or where you sit on your company's seniority list. Get the straight scoop from your union rep or your CP. Don't rely on the forum websites to get info that can affect you, your job, and your family. You'll go nuts trying to decipher what's true and what's slanted info.. and it will only stress you out even more.

Thanks for the kind words though... it's appreciated.

Bob

Bob...the voice of reason! BUT...aren't you on a cruise right now??!!!!

Good luck XJT guys...you'll be fine. You have great management and a great pilot group!

"Nothing to see here folks. . .all is well. . .carry on. . ."

"It's going to be rough. . .but we'll all make it out okay." (Really? I'm sure a good number of the guys that are out on the street won't make it "out" okay at all. . .much less even come back into the 121 industry.)

Good luck gents.

(Really? I'm sure a good number of the guys that are out on the street won't make it "out" okay at all. . .much less even come back into the 121 industry.)
The "we" is referring to the collective of all 121 pilots... and yes... if they hang tight they will make it out OK.

If they leave the industry, and I understand that many will, then of course they may be lost to aviation. That to me... is a shame since I've flown with so many great guys who love this career. But I completely understand if their personal needs dictate that move. However, if they buckle down and take advantage of some opportunities that they may not have considered during a furlough... then they can come out on top even stronger than they were before.

It's definately a life altering time in the industry right now. But... it's happened before... and will happen again. I've said it in another thread... and I'll say it again here... We (Collective JC'rs... especially the ones who've been around for a while) need to focus on how we can support our fellow pilots who we've mentored and helped get into this industry. We can dig on people, and focus on the negative all we want... heck... that's easy.

What's hard... is showing compassion and support to our friends and fellow onliners on a regular basis... especially when there are so many affected. It's hard... because it can bring you down too when you see it happening to many of those you know personally.

What can you do to help?

- Show words of encouragement.
- Refrain from seeing the negative in otherwise positive posts.
- Show compassion.
- Visit your local airports and report back with potential flying gigs for friends of yours that may be furloughed.
- Maintain the network that has been created here and locally... and continue to pay it forward.
- Keep your eyes peeled online for flying opportunities that may pop up that folks may wish to take advantage of. (Compass is hiring, flySCA, expat flying, etc)
- Attempt to reduce the use of the "sarcasm" tag and tone outside of the Lav.
- Etc...

Hang tight... yes, the industry is topsy turvy right now... yes, it will turn around, and yes, we will make it through if we commit to maintaining a desire to fly, even if some of us may have to work elsewhere during a furlough period...

Let's keep up our support folks!

Fly safe.

Bob

Seriously.

If you can't handle the ups and downs of the profession, it's probably best to look towards something stable like engineering. Oh yeah, my wife's out of a job. ;) or banking! Wait, oh yeah, IndyMac. Investing! DOH! Forgot about Bear Stearns.

Seriously.

If you can't handle the ups and downs of the profession, it's probably best to look towards something stable like engineering. Oh yeah, my wife's out of a job. ;) or banking! Wait, oh yeah, IndyMac. Investing! DOH! Forgot about Bear Stearns.
Wurd.

Just realized this week that there is a 98% chance that I will be displaced in September - either off my airframe or out of my base.....or both.

BUT.... I'll still have a job.

On that note, I've been giving SERIOUS thought to the instability of this industry and done some serious soul searching and - to be quite frank - I'm not sure I can do this (ride the Part 121 roller-coaster) for the rest of my career.

We'll see.

Weighing my options of going Corporate/Fractional/Part 91 some day.

Again... we'll see.

I/we may come out smelling like roses. We may not.

I think it's a TAD easier for guys/gals with the seniority (Captains and/or long time FO's) who know that they won't be affected in the least to say "hang in there, we'll be fine" when it's not their financial/professional/personal/familial ass on the line.

And please don't take that the wrong way. I mean no ill will.

Just identifying the elephant in the room.

In the end, it may work to my benefit (i.e. I upgrade faster than I thought I would due to attrition).....but it may not.

Time will tell.

Again... we'll see. I'm not sour on the Part 121 industry. Just very, very wary.

As a wise man once said "Reading about a situation and living it are two ENTIRELY different things!"
-R2F

I think it's a TAD easier for guys/gals with the seniority (Captains and/or long time FO's) who know that they won't be affected in the least to say "hang in there, we'll be fine" when it's not their financial/professional/personal/familial ass on the line.

And please don't take that the wrong way. I mean no ill will.

Just identifying the elephant in the room.
You are right... it is a TAD easier... but only a tad bit when you see your good friends going through it who may even be better aviators than yourself... but you were just lucky enough to get hired before them.

But... that's why I feel the need to keep things as positive as we can. Those of us with a bit of a seniority cushion can keep others informed, and help others through it. Basically because... well heck... everyone's seniority cushion has the potential to fall out from under them. I never would have assumed that after almost 5 years of working for a great company that I would be close to losing my seat... but... it is close.

The elephants in the room... could be mice before you know it.

Network... come here for support if you need it, come here to give support if you've got it.

Bob

Network... come here for support if you need it, come here to give support if you've got it.

Bob

I'm a certifiable Captain_Bob fan now. If you've got a t-shirt, I'm buying five.

YOU, my friend, have broken to code of why I maintain JC.

Effing A.

<--- member of the Captain Bob fan club

If this keeps up, my beers owed is going to be a significant portion of my retirement fund....:bandit:

<--- member of the Captain Bob fan club

If this keeps up, my beers owed is going to be a significant portion of my retirement fund....:bandit:

I'm already a proud member of the "Bought Captain_Bob a beer" Club and "Captain_Bob bought me a beer" Club!

HA!

It is nice to have a guy like Capt Bob around to share his wisdom and common sense. I too have a great deal of respect and admiration for Capt Bob and his contributions on this forum. All pilots should be lucky enough to learn from the best like we do.

Remember guys, XJT has a great product and an awesome talent pool who fly their airplanes. As cream rises to the top, it is all but certain that XJT will bounce back stronger than ever. Stay focused, stay professional and above all else stay supportive of your fellow pilots who may need a little encouragement from time to time. Also, take time to care for your families as they see and experience your anxiety and frustration every time you come home. Remember, things are scary and uncertain for them as well. Love them and communicate with them openly as they will likely be your greatest source of strength and support in the days to come.

Also, take time to care for your families as they see and experience your anxiety and frustration every time you come home. Remember, things are scary and uncertain for them as well. Love them and communicate with them openly as they will likely be your greatest source of strength and support in the days to come.
That... is some excellent advice...

Thanks calcapt!

Bob

I do realize that it's not much, but you do get unemployment while on furlough. I know there seems to be a negative connotation towards taking it, but you pay into it with every pay check you get for exactly these reasons. Take it as a slightly compensated chance to look for another career. Sure, it's only 60% or up to...

Go look for that dream flyin job, and if it doesn't pan out, hopefully the call back is fast in coming

Back