X-wind landing?

F16Flyer

A couple days ago, I had a sub for my History class. We got into airplanes, and such, one thing lead to another, and he said he landed a Cessna at some airport (he forgot) in a 60-70 kt crosswind. Is this possible?
confused.gif

Yea, that's what I thought. But no, he said a Cessna 152. LOL, funny thing, he said he needed to taxi under full power to overcome the wind.

60-70 knot crosswind in a little Cessna? No way! At the time it was probably like 20 knots, and then a couple years later it was 25 knots, ten years later it was 40 knots and when senality hit it became 60-70 knots!
grin.gif
Fish story!

[ QUOTE ]
...At the time it was probably like 20 knots...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say more like 7 or 8 !! reminds me of one of my former students.....memories memories
wink.gif

Man so many people will do that to you.... they find out you're a pilot and they start shooting off about the time they looped a 152, buzzed the tower inverted, etc, etc.

Just nod your head and say, 'gee that's cool', 'wow, you're amazine'.

Especially since it's your history teacher!

A 757 maximum cross wind component to taxi in is 60 knots (or is it 65?? A300Capt??) - so I think it is safe to say he is full of it.

He realistically could have.....

If he was sitting in it while it was tied down during a hurricane!!! or a hurricanadoe!!!
grin.gif

Otherwise there is no way physically possible.

I believe the maximum demonstrated cross wind is about 15 knots for a 172.

So landing in a 60 knot crosswind?

Remember what they did in Top Gun when Maverick said he was inverted over the MiG?

That's my response.

[ QUOTE ]
A 757 maximum cross wind component to taxi in is 60 knots (or is it 65?? A300Capt??) - so I think it is safe to say he is full of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing in our books indicating max x-wind for "taxiing".

That sounds like the limit to have the cargo door in the open position.

Thanks A300Capt - are the books different for different airlines - I would imagine different countries have different requirements?? I just seem to remember this being mentioned by a friend. Maybe it was company policy???

Well, final approach speed in the 152 is 60 knots...so maybe the guy was flying the pattern sideways!
grin.gif
The maximum demonstrated crosswind is listed as 12 knots in the POH, and above that, it becomes more difficult to maintain sideslipping (wing low) alignment with the runway.

Perhaps he misunderstood the ATIS/AWOS and heard "sixty" instead of the actual "sixteen." How convenient.

[ QUOTE ]
A couple days ago, I had a sub for my History class. We got into airplanes, and such, one thing lead to another, and he said he landed a Cessna at some airport (he forgot) in a 60-70 kt crosswind. Is this possible?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]No. It's =absolutely= impossible to land in a 60 KT crosswind and forget what airport it was. Would you?

I'd like to see him land a Cessna in a 60-70 kt direct headwind. Or rather, I'd like to see him taxi to parking afterward!

You should've questioned him about his aeronautical decision making for even flying during weather conditions that could produce a 60-70 kt wind at all.
tongue.gif

Especially in a 152!!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You should've questioned him about his aeronautical decision making for even flying during weather conditions that could produce a 60-70 kt wind at all.
tongue.gif

Especially in a 152!!!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it is hard to know when the ATIS man has had a burrito - those produce unexpected wind.

Yea, those damn "burrito x-winds" will get you every time!
smirk.gif

One time I landed a 747 in a 180 knot tailwind, no wait, it was a 152 in a 180 knot, no wait, it was 18 knots x-wind in a Cub, no wait...

I need a burrito.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see him land a Cessna in a 60-70 kt direct headwind. Or rather, I'd like to see him taxi to parking afterward!

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose if he landed in the width of the runway that'd be possible.
smile.gif

Back