X Plane 10 or Prepar3d

Depends what kind of PC you have. Can you run X-plane 10 or P3D at full settings? If no, then go with Xplane 10 or FSX. If you can, then I highly recommend P3D. Much more visually realistic. Xplane uses a "plasuable" engine for its scenery, and the stock airports have little to no detail. While the planes fly more realistically as a whole, some of the good add-on planes for FSX/P3D fly very realistically as well, and the panels are usually much more realistic and more systems are simulated vs. the add-on planes for X-plane usually. Plus way, way better free stuff out there, and spending a little money(like getting the FTX add-ons from a company called Orbix) can make your sim visually ultra-real in one install.

I just finished upgrading my PC to a monster with a top of the line graphics card, 32GB of ram, great CPU, and run it off a 45 inch TV with using a mix of the Saitek X52 throttle(the joystick in the pack sucks) and a Thrust Master T-16000 joystick(just AWESOME response and can be used left or right handed) on either side of me in a gaming chair angled up at the TV. Still get 30+ frames per second. It's intense. Like...intense. P3D v3(newest version whichc is very new, worth noting here that every version is a new game just like FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, ect so you can't just update it) has SO much detail and simulates the physics of flying much more realistically than FSX did(mostly noticeable in ground effect and slow flight). As a training tool, it is priceless. I like to take a Grumman Tiger over downtown SF, kill the engine, and figure out where to glide. The add-on scenery simulates the building heights, trees, and terrain well enough to make it very reasonable. Here is a video of the add-on SF scenery I have as seen in P3D at full settings. I think this is an older version as well, looks even better in v3.

I own X-plane 10, it looks cool enough, but the crash detection is very unrealistic(see how hard you can slam planes down) and it simply just doesn't look as cool. Plus it's much harder to mod, in my experience. I also much prefer the Microsoft/Lockheed interface for everything.

I know right, what's the point of practicing on your own computer with a working virtual cockpit that simulates all the systems of the plane you're hired to fly and going to spend the next few months learning to fly to make training, you know ,easier? Go ahead and hate on him, I just wish I could be as cool as you. But I guess I'll always just be a loser with his flight simulator. Not like flight-sim add-ons are a multi-million dollar industry or anything, who would want a piece of that nerdy pie when they'll be judged by studs like you?

P3D graphics look AWESOME but I feel like the guy in 1999 who got FS2000 and it wouldn't run anything better than 3-4 fps with the graphics turned all the way up. And if graphic sliders are all turned down, what's the point of enjoying a flight sim?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz, 8GB RAM, and just the standard Intel Q35 GMA 3100 graphics integrated/built in. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I'm assuming P3D would laugh at my machine. With your experience with P3D, how would I do? If v3 is the newest, I assume v1 is the oldest, would that be an option for me?

I'm assuming P3D would laugh at my machine. With your experience with P3D, how would I do? If v3 is the newest, I assume v1 is the oldest, would that be an option for me?
I don't think it would run any of the versions. There can be some good basic gaming PCs that can handle it for under $1000

P3D graphics look AWESOME but I feel like the guy in 1999 who got FS2000 and it wouldn't run anything better than 3-4 fps with the graphics turned all the way up. And if graphic sliders are all turned down, what's the point of enjoying a flight sim?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz, 8GB RAM, and just the standard Intel Q35 GMA 3100 graphics integrated/built in. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Eh....I'd say upgrade to FS2004 which you can get for around $10 easily these days. But P3D is honestly a useless upgrade from FSX and even FS2004 unless you have a great processor and graphics card. Because as you said, no point in a laggy or very basic sim lacking most of the features that would make you want to upgrade.

Get on that actual training, breh.
No. :)

Call me a nerd, but I use FS2002 with the A320 Professional add-on for brush up before a sim event.

And once in SEA on a turn, we had a family board and noticed one of their kids was really interested about what we were doing. We invited him in and he talked about his interest in flying (14 yr old) and how had FSX with some A320 program. I offered him to load the box and thought I would tell him what to do... turned out that wasn't necessary. This guy did the whole thing. Asked me what I wanted in the Rad/Nav page and put the bearing pointer up. Armed the FDs. This kid was doing a lot of things specific to the A320 for a normal 14 year old. I have to hand it to these addons for flight sim. Some of them really do get into the nitty gritty details.
I remember being in those shoes! My first big add on was the 767 sim but when people ask why I became a pilot and I tell them YouTube and FSX inspired me....they just don't understand. It's an odd hobby but to this day I love the community and VATSIM and how large it's expanded. I definitely felt some positive feedback from all my sim days when I took the advanced systems classes in college.

I honestly thought I'd be a rare person to have such an enthusiastic attitude about a geeky hobby, but it was nice to hear many on the community here admire it...somewhat. I definitely still drool over those home cockpits... That's my current bucket list item.

I gotta hand it to you for still using 2002 though. Either way all the airports are somewhat the same for their practical use.

I remember being in those shoes! My first big add on was the 767 sim but when people ask why I became a pilot and I tell them YouTube and FSX inspired me....they just don't understand. It's an odd hobby but to this day I love the community and VATSIM and how large it's expanded. I definitely felt some positive feedback from all my sim days when I took the advanced systems classes in college.

I honestly thought I'd be a rare person to have such an enthusiastic attitude about a geeky hobby, but it was nice to hear many on the community here admire it...somewhat. I definitely still drool over those home cockpits... That's my current bucket list item.

I gotta hand it to you for still using 2002 though. Either way all the airports are somewhat the same for their practical use.

I do. Most time was probably FS98, then FS2000 when it came out, and then to a lesser extent FS2002. Problem with FS2002 was it did away with the use mouse as yoke option that was available in FS2000. When the joystick stopped working, I could only fly FS2002 with the keyboard and that's just a pain. FS2000 was nice, but FS2002 really pushed up the envelope with ATC, and the small things like contrails and white puff on touchdown, spoilers full up and reversers out. And in playback mode (instant replay), FS2002 would do a better job than FS2000. But still, I also applaud FS2000 for its huge change over FS98, including 20k airports total versus about 3k, live weather update, GPS. And, I also hand it to FS2000 for being the only one that had auto-land capability with approach mode coupled. It required to use a little bit higher of a Vref speed. Not that realistic, because usually it would start to flare about 150 feet agl, but the power would come to idle and it would pitch up and land. As long as the spoilers were armed they would deploy and then the autobrakes would bring it to a nice safe slow speed. I know FS2002 did away with this autoland feature, which was unfortunate.

I can't speak for FS2004 (FS9?) and FSX. I never really got into them. By then I was in college when these came out and my computer (laptop) could in no way handle these sims. Even today, with the computer I have I think FS2004 could work great, but probably not FSX. I'm a big believer of if you are going to use a sim, slide the graphic sliders all the way up and enjoy. No point in sacrificing any part of your simulator if the computer can't handle it. Either step down to a "lower" (older) flight sim, or upgrade the computer. That's my philosophy.

I still use FS2002 because of experience with it. But I think I may have to try out FS2004 and see how that goes. I know there are some pretty good A320 addons for FS2004, so it may very well be worth it.

The saddest thing though is that today in 2016 the flight sim gaming industry is dead - as far as new products. I mean sure, you have P3D versions and X plane. But gone are the days of 1997-2001 when you could walk into a game store and literally see half a dozen flight sim products on the shelves: Microsoft flight simulators both regular and combats, Sierra Pro Pilot / PP99, Terminal Reality's Fly! and Fly2!, Looking Glass Flight Unlimited I - III, and I think one or two more I can't think of right now.

Market conditions dictate products and I guess people were a lot more interested back then as opposed to today? Whatever the reason, it's kinda sad walking into a game store these days when it comes to flying stuff.

Ahh...FlightSim. Those were the days. Before I could start actual flight training, I'd hit FS98 hard. By hard I mean "teaching" myself to fly the checkerboard approach to 13 at Kai Tak. I took the Lear 45 on an "around the world" tour. FS2K was a turd for me because even some of the top end gaming machines out at the time couldn't handle it well. After I had to stop flying (money), I went back to simming for a while. FS2004 was a work of art.

But I digress. While even FS98 had some training value, it did create in me some bad habits. While training for my PPL, my instructor noticed (on our second flight) that I was concentrating too much on instruments. She remedied that quick. She did note that I was incredibly more smooth on the controls compared to her other students. It was likely due to the fact that I had used a lousy joystick with FlightSim.

I want to get back into training this year and at least get my COMM/INST. To that end, I've looked at getting a home simulator again. Having looked at both X-Plane and Prepar3d, I'm sold on Prepar3d, probably because of my past experience with it's predecessor from Microsoft. What I'm not sure about is whether to go with a "build it yourself" system (I think I still have my yoke and throttle quadrant packed away somewhere) our get one of those purpose-built systems like the Jay or the TD2, both from Redbird.

Market conditions dictate products and I guess people were a lot more interested back then as opposed to today?
Today it's all about the first-person shooter games.

I do. Most time was probably FS98, then FS2000 when it came out, and then to a lesser extent FS2002. Problem with FS2002 was it did away with the use mouse as yoke option that was available in FS2000. When the joystick stopped working, I could only fly FS2002 with the keyboard and that's just a pain. FS2000 was nice, but FS2002 really pushed up the envelope with ATC, and the small things like contrails and white puff on touchdown, spoilers full up and reversers out. And in playback mode (instant replay), FS2002 would do a better job than FS2000. But still, I also applaud FS2000 for its huge change over FS98, including 20k airports total versus about 3k, live weather update, GPS. And, I also hand it to FS2000 for being the only one that had auto-land capability with approach mode coupled. It required to use a little bit higher of a Vref speed. Not that realistic, because usually it would start to flare about 150 feet agl, but the power would come to idle and it would pitch up and land. As long as the spoilers were armed they would deploy and then the autobrakes would bring it to a nice safe slow speed. I know FS2002 did away with this autoland feature, which was unfortunate.

I can't speak for FS2004 (FS9?) and FSX. I never really got into them. By then I was in college when these came out and my computer (laptop) could in no way handle these sims. Even today, with the computer I have I think FS2004 could work great, but probably not FSX. I'm a big believer of if you are going to use a sim, slide the graphic sliders all the way up and enjoy. No point in sacrificing any part of your simulator if the computer can't handle it. Either step down to a "lower" (older) flight sim, or upgrade the computer. That's my philosophy.

I still use FS2002 because of experience with it. But I think I may have to try out FS2004 and see how that goes. I know there are some pretty good A320 addons for FS2004, so it may very well be worth it.
Yeah, the autoland is featured in most add ons. I know at least PMDG/iFly, Quality Wings and Level-D 767 all have it and it works fantastically. I just got the new aerosoft A320 bundle (fairly new) and it's my best add on yet. It's just a frame rate eater but it's got all checklists for you, systems are fantastic, and the FMC is updated new with all SIDS/STARS and airways. It's got to be my most realistic add-on yet but can't tell you by how much since I don't fly an A320 lol. I don't think they have it for FS9 but they do for FSX, X-Plane and prepar3d I believe.

Highly suggest it to any enthusiast looking for an Airbus.

The saddest thing though is that today in 2016 the flight sim gaming industry is dead - as far as new products. I mean sure, you have P3D versions and X plane. But gone are the days of 1997-2001 when you could walk into a game store and literally see half a dozen flight sim products on the shelves: Microsoft flight simulators both regular and combats, Sierra Pro Pilot / PP99, Terminal Reality's Fly! and Fly2!, Looking Glass Flight Unlimited I - III, and I think one or two more I can't think of right now.

Market conditions dictate products and I guess people were a lot more interested back then as opposed to today? Whatever the reason, it's kinda sad walking into a game store these days when it comes to flying stuff.
I had Flight Unlimited 1, 2 + 3, Fly! and Fly2!, and every version of MSFS from, whatever the black/green screen one was to FSX. I remember the huge advance of FS 95, where it had the first "realistic" panel. I was in Montgomery Ward and walked by the computer section with my dad and we played around with it for 15 minutes at least. Amazing! I did try Xplane but I couldn't really get into it and never purchased it.

I also had The Aces series, Aces Over the Pacific, Aces over Europe, plus some add-ons and MS Combat Flight sim and Falcon 4.0. I'm sure I'm missing a couple too.

I recently sold my MS FS Century of Flight special boxed edition on eBay, got way more than I thought I would for it. The cost to produce flight sims these days, and games in general, is fairly high and there really just isn't a large market for them.

I really am jealous of the guys getting into flying nowadays. So much can be learned and gained from using the latest and greatest. Track IR, the Oculus Rift, etc. really help with the immersion and with the right pointers and training you could cut a boatload of training time off of your primary instruction if one had the inclination to do so. Flight schools, unfortunately, make almost no money (if they even break even) but if they did I would seriously consider starting one and setting up a syllabus to use these programs to offer my students ways to save considerable amounts of money.

I recently went flying in a small aircraft for the first time in a decade. Have to say it was fun to get back to the GA airport environment but I just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. Lots of bumps, 100 knots over the ground, loud, cramped etc. I'm not sure how I even managed to get through primary training to be honest. I was seriously considering the purchase of a small airplane for us but I'm completely reconsidered that.

I recently sold my MS FS Century of Flight special boxed edition on eBay, got way more than I thought I would for it.

I buy and sell new, sealed FS2000, 2002s, and 2004s. Pretty much those 3 exclusively. I don't deal with opened ones. Just brand new/sealed. You wouldn't believe what I buy it for, and the shocking price I end up selling it for. My best so far is a new sealed FS2004 sold for 89.99 plus 3.99 shipping (so basically 94) and I bought it brand new sealed for $20.

Your special boxed edition (the one that comes with the Wright flyer model toy), if new sealed, is worth the most of any old flight sims out there. Last one on Ebay I saw go for about $140 sold.

Believe it or not, this is actually a small hobby/mini (and I do mean mini) 'business' of mine. I buy and sell sealed FS2000/2/4s. And my inventory was wiped out in December before Christmas from holiday season shopping.

Hottest one by far is FS2004 sealed. A brand new one I listed at 6pm sold at 1am (7 hrs). Another one I listed I had to wait a shocking 36 hrs before it sold.

wheelsup, I can't see the button to send a private message / start convo. I was going to ask, what plane did you go up in, what was the cost, and what area (state) is that in? I've looked at flying around here (NJ, basically NYC metro) and it is very very expensive. With the flight you did, did you get a checkout signed off?

I buy and sell new, sealed FS2000, 2002s, and 2004s. Pretty much those 3 exclusively. I don't deal with opened ones. Just brand new/sealed. You wouldn't believe what I buy it for, and the shocking price I end up selling it for. My best so far is a new sealed FS2004 sold for 89.99 plus 3.99 shipping (so basically 94) and I bought it brand new sealed for $20.

Your special boxed edition (the one that comes with the Wright flyer model toy), if new sealed, is worth the most of any old flight sims out there. Last one on Ebay I saw go for about $140 sold.

Believe it or not, this is actually a small hobby/mini (and I do mean mini) 'business' of mine. I buy and sell sealed FS2000/2/4s. And my inventory was wiped out in December before Christmas from holiday season shopping.

Hottest one by far is FS2004 sealed. A brand new one I listed at 6pm sold at 1am (7 hrs). Another one I listed I had to wait a shocking 36 hrs before it sold.

Well now I'm pissed I sold it! Collectors edition, who'd thought it would be worth anything a decade later. Ah well.

I used to buy and sell tools. Craftsman discontinued their USA stuff and I bought a boatload of it when it went out on clearance. Just had to wait till the impatient folks sold it all before it finally started to come up in price.

I bought this set for $60 direct from Sears...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pc-Crafts...:g:kAYAAOSwgkRVUebN&item=271867927079&vxp=mtr

Neat little hobby but I'm done with eBay now for the most part. It's gotten too expensive to sell and I had a couple close calls with guys who tried to rip me off. I got lucky but it just wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
Well now I'm pissed I sold it! Collectors edition, who'd thought it would be worth anything a decade later. Ah well.

I used to buy and sell tools. Craftsman discontinued their USA stuff and I bought a boatload of it when it went out on clearance. Just had to wait till the impatient folks sold it all before it finally started to come up in price.

I bought this set for $60 direct from Sears...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pc-Crafts...:g:kAYAAOSwgkRVUebN&item=271867927079&vxp=mtr

Neat little hobby but I'm done with eBay now for the most part. It's gotten too expensive to sell and I had a couple close calls with guys who tried to rip me off. I got lucky but it just wasn't worth it.

You are right about Ebay. That's why I only buy from Ebay and sell elsewhere :)

wheelsup, I can't see the button to send a private message / start convo. I was going to ask, what plane did you go up in, what was the cost, and what area (state) is that in? I've looked at flying around here (NJ, basically NYC metro) and it is very very expensive. With the flight you did, did you get a checkout signed off?

SE US, I don't know the exact flight time I want to say 1.5, around $300, I think the airplane was around $130, it was a very nice guy on JC who does it on the side. I didn't even want to get a check out, too much liability, I didn't even bring my medical along with me on the flight. I wanted to bring my dog flying (her name is Piper) and he was really cool about the whole thing.

I used to instruct at Teterboro, the school has now since moved to Caldwell. It was pretty expensive to rent there even back in the day.

Prepar3d is excellent, miss the old flight sim days.

It's a shame the pc atds can only do instrument, no circling etc. I tried doing a few comm maneuvers but not really any use.

Alex

SE US, I don't know the exact flight time I want to say 1.5, around $300, I think the airplane was around $130, it was a very nice guy on JC who does it on the side. I didn't even want to get a check out, too much liability, I didn't even bring my medical along with me on the flight. I wanted to bring my dog flying (her name is Piper) and he was really cool about the whole thing.

I used to instruct at Teterboro, the school has now since moved to Caldwell. It was pretty expensive to rent there even back in the day.

What do you mean by too much liability? Do those rental places require you to purchase renters insurance/hull loss coverage? Because that is a significant cost that is extra per year.

What do you mean by too much liability? Do those rental places require you to purchase renters insurance/hull loss coverage? Because that is a significant cost that is extra per year.
I don't want to have something happen that jeopardizes my ability to earn a living. Also, let's be honest, GA does not have the safety record anywhere near what we are accustomed to in the 121 world.

I grew up with fs98 all the way to p3d v3. It's insane how detailed the add-ons are these days.

I learned mostly everything about ppl and ifr as well as turbine systems from fs add-ons.

I'm surprised there are quite a few people here at JC who played it when they were young in their career.

I would go with p3d. Much better system simulation. I think x plane will come around strongly in the next 5 yrs or so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back