X/C to KIAH

dahhcon

I flew safety pilot for a friend who had to fly into KIAH while working toward his CSEL in a Skyhawk. It was a great trip. We took off just before a storm hit Longview. Here are the pics:

16.jpg

Rain beginning to fall
111.jpg

Looking Northwest toward the storm. There was a storm developing behind this one, you can see the tail end.
117.jpg

Cloud layer ahead
122.jpg

The same cloud layer
126.jpg

Looking West after sunset
131.jpg

Moon starting to rise
135.jpg

Panel
124.jpg

132.jpg

Before departure at KIAH at runway 15R. There were at least 8 jets waiting to depart
137.jpg

Nice....did you park at Atlantic? I always love watching light aircraft blast off amongst the jet traffic. You realize how small they look....lol. Great pics....hope you enjoyed the trip. btw..What runway did you land on? 15R?

Nice....did you park at Atlantic? I always love watching light aircraft blast off amongst the jet traffic. You realize how small they look....lol. Great pics....hope you enjoyed the trip. btw..What runway did you land on? 15R?

No. We parked at Landmark. We flew the ILS 26R and took off 15R

Yes it was. Were you flying there too?
Yeah we were.

I saw that exact same picture that you took in pic 1 and 3. We were on a med-flight to Scottsville Tx, near Marshall for an MVA just off of I-20. Those storms blew up so quick that our pilot was concerned about our street scene down time and wanted us to, "Load an Go" quickly. The development and movement of that storm was so quick, he didn't want us to get caught in it, trying to get out of there and back here to Shreveport.

That storm that you took a pic of, turned into a supercell and ending up dropping a EF 1 tornado that took it straight into downtown Shreveport and by the time it got to Bossier City, it was classified a EF-2. The storm at this point continued over Barksdale Air Force Base and on southeast out of the area. This 1 storm continued to rotate pretty much across the entire state and into Mississippi.....and this was thursday evening.

Once we got on the landing pad at LSUMC Trauma Center, we offloaded our patient, and the pilot advised us that he was gonna get our helicopter back to the hanger, so we ended up being stranded at the hospital for a couple of hours. We out ran and stayed ahead of the storm by about 15 minutes or so.

But, the whole purpose of this reply is that it is so cool that you just "Happened" to take these pics at the same time we were in the area looking at the same thing. Small world............:rawk:

Am i seeing those pictures right? A g1000 with NO KAP140?? NO AUTOPILOT AT ALL?? WOAH.. HOW DID YOU EVER FLY THE THING? hahaha.. j/k. But really.. no autopilot int he G-1000? :laff:

Rock out :nana2:

Am i seeing those pictures right? A g1000 with NO KAP140?? NO AUTOPILOT AT ALL?? WOAH.. HOW DID YOU EVER FLY THE THING? hahaha.. j/k. But really.. no autopilot int he G-1000? :laff:

Looks like there is a plate where it is supposed to be....weird though. I thought that was a standard bell and whistle with the glass panel package. G1000 is pretty sweet though.

That's right. We don't have the autopilots installed. Ya it is a pain to fly these trips, but it's cool to see that you can fly a trip without busting altitude.

Just curious why did you fly to KIAH instead of somewhere like KDWH? Also what were the landing/parking fees like at IAH?

Just curious why did you fly to KIAH instead of somewhere like KDWH? Also what were the landing/parking fees like at IAH?

Our syllabus requires flight into Class B airspace. So why not fly into the main airport. We fly into KDAL, KMCI, KMSY, KMEM, KHOU, KIAH, and KSTL all the time. Most of the time, we top the tanks off, and the FBO will waive the fee. However, I still had to pay $15 for parking at KMCI a few months ago. KJFK has been the most expensive so far.

Back