WSJ: Ex-Union Leader Is Top Contender To Lead FAA - Sources

Re: WSJ: Ex-Union Leader Is Top Contender To Lead FAA - Sour

Yes...but they will get Colgan soon!

I certainly hope so.

Why are they losing Polar/Atlas?

Because the Atlas pilots are a bunch of little cry babies, just like the USAirways East pilots. I'll let our very own Polar member explain the details. It's a convoluted mess that goes back years.

Oh sweet baby jeebus would this be nice.

There's a big difference between running a relatively small organization that basically has a single interest (airline pilots), and running a large government bureaucracy that must balance the needs of many competing interests. Just because he is good at one, doesn't mean he will be good at the other. More to the point, don't expect a sea change in the pilot profession just because there's a pilot in charge of the FAA. Remember, he serves at the pleasure of the President, so ultimately he will do what the President wants. That said, it would be nice to see someone in charge of the FAA that actually has real world aviation experience.

There's a big difference between running a relatively small organization that basically has a single interest (airline pilots), and running a large government bureaucracy that must balance the needs of many competing interests. Just because he is good at one, doesn't mean he will be good at the other. More to the point, don't expect a sea change in the pilot profession just because there's a pilot in charge of the FAA. Remember, he serves at the pleasure of the President, so ultimately he will do what the President wants. That said, it would be nice to see someone in charge of the FAA that actually has real world aviation experience.
And you guys say you can never agree with skydog.

Just gonna echo what was said above. I'm very excited about the appointment.

Because clearly the President of an Airline Pilot's association lacks any real world aviation experience.

What a joke.

I still don't understand why people think that one new person is going to change everything. The bureaucracy that's been in place isn't going anywhere. Why do you think the State Department has such a hard time implementing policy-political appointees can't make the career bureaucrats do what they want. I'd be surprised if any major changes took place. There will be a lot of banter but that's about it.
Plus, with a decrease in duty/flight time that everyone seems to want, won't that increase the need for crews and decrease pay even more?

How would it decrease pay? lol

Goes back to you saying that one person won't change a thing, yet here you are making a statement that it WOULD change a thing? Which is it?

Nevertheless, you're right, ONE individual doesn't change policy. Much like ONE individual on a sports team doesn't insure success, the TEAM accomplishes it. There are a great deal of career bureaucrats who have been waiting for a while for an administrator who is willing to work with them, not against them, like Blakey and Garvey have (Garvey to a significantly lesser extent). I welcome whatever team Duane would bring to the Administration.

I'm surprised to see that one is purely evaluating the need for improved rest requirements to combat fatigue as an economic rather than safety issue.

Surprising. :whatever:

Which will be it? Pro-active policy adjustment, or wait until blood is all over the ground due to a fatigued crew doing something stupid.

Safety - an empty word these days.

Safety - an empty word these days.

Yes, its a wonder we're not all dead. Its a good thing we have autopilots...

Airlines aren't gonna quit flying because their pilots work less. They're going to be forced to hire more pilots to cover the same amount of flying. So if I had to hire two to do the job of one, you best believe pay is going to go down. Besides, nothing is going to change BUT I was merely asking a question to promote dialogue. You know. This is a CHAT ROOM.

Increased safety? Where are all these accidents from fatigue?

Couldn't have been more unimpressed with Duane when he was ALPA pres. (the mustache is another story). But as head of the FAA......at least he's been a pilot, and you would think he would be in a position to realize how some of these regulations affect real world operations more than some non-aviation career politico.

Uhhhh maybe this guy will realize that ATC (oh yeah, they're part of the safety continuum) got their contract thrown out, has IWR's instilled, and will MAYBE more inclined to re-instill a contract that BOTH parties agree on...

I dont know, just maybe.

But to me, maybe someone who has in been in aviation will understand you cant run the FAA as a business....JUST MAYBE!

Back