Writtens

smokey1

For those of you who took the written exams prior to starting the program, how long did it take you to study for each exam?

Smokey

I just finished PPL in JAX . When I made the decision to go to the ATP FL it was Thursday . . . On Monday I was in JAX in school. I then found out about the PP written test. So we flew in the day and I studied at night (every night) until my eyes closed. I started taking practice tests (I don't know how many) When I took a practice test with a 90 I took the test. It just takes drive. You can do it! GOOD LUCK! THe KING DVD's rock!
(Oct 6th start ..solo Oct 23 . . PPL checkride Nov. 12)

bumblebee,

Are you going to go ahead with the Airline Career Pilot Program? I will once I finish my last semester of school--then attend in Manassas.

I was going to ask about King's. Is that what pretty much everyone recommends to study for the programs, King's DVD's?

Took me a little more than a month to study for the Instrument&CFII. I rented the KING videos from www.justplanevideos.com., they follow the Gleim book by each chapter. I did well on both tests. Working on the Commercial now and I am shooting for two weeks total study time for it. IMO the rest of them will be some what easy compared to the instrument.
grin.gif

Good Luck

Oh yes, the only way to do the PPL program is with a commitment to do the commercial. I start in SAC the 15 of Dec. The King videos are the way to go as well.

Can anyone tell me what order I should attempt to take the writtens in? Also when people talk about asking ATP to send all the books what does this include? Does ATP send the Gleim's or is that something that I should go out and get now so I can start the study process?

I am shooting for a 1 March start of the ACPP with PPL and from what I have read it seems that if the writtens are done then I can have that much less stress in my life.

Thanks for any suggestions

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me what order I should attempt to take the writtens in? Also when people talk about asking ATP to send all the books what does this include? Does ATP send the Gleim's or is that something that I should go out and get now so I can start the study process?

I am shooting for a 1 March start of the ACPP with PPL and from what I have read it seems that if the writtens are done then I can have that much less stress in my life.

Thanks for any suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

You're all on the right on track--- getting the writtens done first make the 90 day program much more enjoyable. Here are some of my opinions of some of your questions.
A logical order might be Instrument and CFII first (same test bank...just study instrument). Then commercial, then CFI and FOI. The FOI is like none of the other tests, so when you feel you need a change of pace, slip this one in the mix. Most say FOI is the easiest, but was my least favorite.

Also, make sure you also take the optional AGI (advanced ground instructor). I believe it's the same test-bank as the CFI. It will cost $70 or so out of your pocket, but it will help you later when you want your Gold Seal instructor certificate.

Once you send in you initial depisit, ATP will send you a big box of stuff, which will include the Gliem books.

If your in the PPL program (or near a Career Pilot Location), ask one of the instructors there is they know of anyone working on writtens, and maybe you could pair up or join a study group. You might not study any faster, but you'll enjoy studying more and get more insight into the material.

Good luck with the writtens, and enjoy the training. It should be a fabulous experience. Make the most of it!

[ QUOTE ]
Also when people talk about asking ATP to send all the books what does this include?

[/ QUOTE ] Here's what I got...

1. Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial Manual (Large Textbook, Great Resource!)
2. The Turbine Engine Manual
3. Gleim Books for Instrument/Commercial/FIA/FOI
4. ASA Oral Exam Guides for each checkride
5. PTS's for each checkride
6. FAA books: Airplane Flying Handbook, Instrument Flying Handbook, and Aviation Instructors Handbook
7. Piper Seminole Supplement
8. Piper Seminole POH
9. Cessna 172 POH
10. FAR/AIM
11. A 3 ring student binder with daily quizes and pre-tests.
12. 3 ATP polo shirts
13. An ATP Backpack to carry the whole load!
smile.gif

All in all, I felt pretty prepared going into the writtens. I took the Instrument and Instrument Instructor first since they are out of the same test bank (2 weeks study time for me), then I took the CAX (1 week study time), then the FIA (1 week study time), and lastly the FOI after less than a day of studying.

Good Luck!

Bob

Captain Bob, I greatly appreciate all of your posts and the way you took the time to go above and beyond while answering the many questions that we rookies have. I have spent the past three months surfing the web and flying to many schools in order to make a choice. Thanks to this site and the many posts about ATP I have decided to that ATP looks like the school to go to.

Hopefully I can meet up with some of the JC crew that helped me make the decision in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
Captain Bob, I greatly appreciate all of your posts and the way you took the time to go above and beyond while answering the many questions that we rookies have.

[/ QUOTE ] That... just made my day! Thanks so much for the kind comments.

I've been right where you are, and I know how hard it is to get all the research lined up to make an appropriate decision regarding your future. I received a lot of help from previous ATP and other flight school grads here on JC myself, and so I feel a personal obligation to pass it on. I guess a thanks would be in order to Doug too for having JC available for us to do this type of "personal" research!
smile.gif

Anyway, I know ATP isn't right for everyone, but it was right for me. There are lots of great schools out there... finding the one that's right for you is the biggest challenge you'll face at this stage in your aviation career.

That being said... Congrats on your decision to proceed with your dream. Hopefully you decided on ATP, and hopefully you decide to do the Career Pilot Program in Dallas... then I would get to meet you. If not... let us know what school you decided on, and don't forget to share your experiences here on JC!
smile.gif

Take care and good luck,

Bob

Most FAA tests require a sign-off from an instructor.

There are home-study programs (King, ASA?) that involve getting a sign-off in the mail, but I don't know how this works.

If you study the Gliem books that ATP sends you, you can go to any Career Pilot site and take the test. An instructor can have you take a quick practice test (Gliem) and ask about your study, and then sign you off for the FAA test.

I thought this would be a logical place to post this: I passed my private pilot written today. Been studying the Kind DVD's for a month but really hit them hard over the last two weeks, everyday after work. The videos seem to be a little outdated but they definitely helped me pass. Anyway, I am pretty excited to have this out of the way, so I can start reading the other materials that ATP sent me. Well, I'm counting down the days until I get to Jacksonville on the 1st.

[ QUOTE ]
...Been studying the King DVD's for a month...The videos seem to be a little outdated..

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't let Martha's hair style fool you. The King DVDs are probably up-to-date.
wink.gif

When do I HAVE to have the private written done? I have had zero time to do it before I get there in a couple days. We need to have that done before our checkride, the latest right? Let me know

The private written isn't a big deal..

www.sportys.com has an online free testing center you can use also.. I used it and it helped me a ton..
smile.gif

Now I just need to get a start on the rest of the writtens.. I had never thought about getting them out of the way, before ATP until I got to this board..

Jeff

Back