Wreckage of plane missing since 1997 found in Michigan

RDoug

Wreckage of plane missing since 1997 found in Michigan, believed to belong to couple that vanished
  • The National Transportation Safety Board said it's investigating the scene of a plane crash in the Hiawatha National Forest in St. Ignace that is believed to be the wreckage of a Piper PA-28-235 reported missing in 1997.
  • The NTSB said the plane was seen on radar flying south, then turning and flying north before it disappeared in foggy weather. Authorities at the time conducted a four-day search, but did not find remains of the couple or the plane. Authorities who've examined the tail number of the plane found Wednesday in a remote part of Saint Ignace, about 70 miles west of Drummond Island, believe the aircraft belonged to the couple.
AAA9QF2.img

Nothing disappears without a trace, as the old Navajo saying goes.

There was the Piper PA-32R that disappeared on a flight from San Diego to Texas in 1984, and was found in 1997 by hikers on the west side of the Rincon mountains east of Tucson, with skeletons still inside.

The classic example is N388LS, a Lear 35 which crashed less than 20 miles from the airport and still took over three years to find. The woods are deep!

The classic example is N388LS, a Lear 35 which crashed less than 20 miles from the airport and still took over three years to find. The woods are deep!

I googled that N number to find out more and it came up as an L-1011 owned by the Sands Hotel in Vegas.

I had a Mooney go down a mile short of the runway into Sandy Creek Airport in Florida and although the wreckage was found quickly by an F-4 I sent over, it took the first responders almost 4 hours to hack their way a 1/2 mile through the underbrush to get to it. I can easily see how a plane can disappear even when it’s close to everything.

Nothing disappears without a trace, as the old Navajo saying goes.

There was the Piper PA-32R that disappeared on a flight from San Diego to Texas in 1984, and was found in 1997 by hikers on the west side of the Rincon mountains east of Tucson, with skeletons still inside.

I remember when they were searching for Steve Fossett's airplane a decade ago, they found more than one unrelated crash site.

This doesn’t surprise me though. There’s a whole bunch of nothing in upper peninsula Michigan. You can go 60 miles up there without seeing another human being – it’s desolate.

I had a Mooney go down a mile short of the runway into Sandy Creek Airport in Florida and although the wreckage was found quickly by an F-4 I sent over, it took the first responders almost 4 hours to hack their way a 1/2 mile through the underbrush to get to it. I can easily see how a plane can disappear even when it’s close to everything.

A small experimental crashed off the end of the runway at the local airport, about two miles out. It was heavy wooded swampland. Several eyewitnesses, including me, saw where it went down. The pilot bailed out and saw where it went down. It took over six months to find it on the ground.

I remember when they were searching for Steve Fossett's airplane a decade ago, they found more than one unrelated crash site.

This doesn’t surprise me though. There’s a whole bunch of nothing in upper peninsula Michigan. You can go 60 miles up there without seeing another human being – it’s desolate.

Isn’t it GREAT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back