Wow...Just wow.

This plane is full up, Sierra Hotel, and every other slang term for awesome. Hopefully the bean counters at the Pentagon will wake up one day and realize that all the stealth, advanced radar, and UAV systems are nothing but a waste of time, money, and energy in the low-tech counter-insugency arena. Like the venerable A-1 Skyraider in SEA, there's no replacement for tough, heavy load capable aircraft.

hate to be a party pooper, but any aircraft designed to kill dudes with an AK and a dream is on the wrong side.

You can bet the guys at the 160th SOAR have already laid hands on. :nana2: Problem is the AF likes to limit them to rotors only. It would be an outstanding Special Operations support platform.

When I get home, I think a trip to Olney is in order:D

hate to be a party pooper, but any aircraft designed to kill dudes with an AK and a dream is on the wrong side.

I guess I look at it in a different way. I don't know what this airplane costs vs. what the Beechcraft thing costs...but I bet this is cheaper. So, it is more like a "death from above killing machine" for the masses. I envision this airplane as a step toward the guy with an AK and a dream actually being able to have air support!

Huh? The purpose of close air support is to protect (help) and/or support our side (or our allies) on the ground, particularly when they are heavily engaged with the dude with the AK and a dream. The A-1 Skyraider was very good at that particular mission, and these other aircraft would probably be good at it as well.

edit: You can also bet AT wouldn't be able to sell them to just anyone. The government has very strict export rules when it comes to aircraft with guns.

Not sure about the strip where t-cart is flying from, but most ag strips are one way in, one way out...

That makes sense. That is how my Grandpa's strip was at home. East west runway with 1500 feet and a slight dogleg in the middle. Trees lined one side, hanger and storage on the other, his house on one end, fence on the opposite end. Prevailing winds were usually north/south. In short it was a great place for me to learn about x-wind landings in a taildragger because every landing was a cross wind landing with the obstructions, narrow short runway, and the limited visibility of a taildragger (me in the Chief, my grandpa in the Wacos - he never let me try those at the home 'drome :().

I asked him once whether he ever thought of moving to a little bit bigger strip and he said "Yeah, but this is ok...keeps the weenies and amateurs out".

That is how my Grandpa's strip was at home. East west runway with 1500 feet and a slight dogleg in the middle. Trees lined one side, hanger and storage on the other, his house on one end, fence on the opposite end. Prevailing winds were usually north/south.

Sounds like he had a nice little place.

I Wouldn't mind having a small strip like that one of these days.

You can bet the guys at the 160th SOAR have already laid hands on. :nana2: Problem is the AF likes to limit them to rotors only. It would be an outstanding Special Operations support platform.

When I get home, I think a trip to Olney is in order:D

You're right about the AF. You don't really want to see grown men/women (in BLUE) cry, now do you?

Remember the OA-10? "Sure you can have them, just don't load the GAU..." :banghead: After DS/DS, "Hmmm this thing isn't too shabby. Sorry, we're keeping them."

I know that you guys do things for a reason...but why were you taking off downwind?

Waco, like ctab said, a lot of our strips are one way in and one way out. This particular strip works both ways though and there were already two planes working from the other end and not enough room for anymore planes and trucks on that end. First come first serve kind of deal.

Was in a similar situation many years ago and the old crusty pilot I was working with asked me if I had been bitten yet. I asked him what he was talking about and he said every time he took off and just barely made it he felt like gators were down at the far end and just snapping at his ass every time. I think about that every time I get close.

After I came out the first time, I noticed that they backed up a little and gave me plenty of room.:D

That looks nice. I mean, the F-35 is supposed to replace the A-10? The A-10 had a really long dwell time, the fuel capacity of the F-35 won't be able to make a sortie last that long. Big turboprops with lots of guns and bombs is the answer, not like you need to outrun anything faster than a car when you have air supremacy.

Really..? I thought the F-35 was meant to replace the F-16! Honest, statement no :sarcasm:!

Piper tried to crack into the market back in the '70s with a beefed up P-51 style turboprop called the PA-48 Enforcer.
800px-Piper_PA48_Enforcer_USAF.jpg

Piper tried to crack into the market back in the '70s with a beefed up P-51 style turboprop called the PA-48 Enforcer.

As noted before, was a great airplane. Would've worked just fine were it not for the USAFs aversion to anything with a tailwheel and a prop.

Back