Wow Cessnas New Panels Are Awesome

"Cirrus will still eat their lunch! Why would you buy a 40 year old airframe design when you could get a SR-20 or 22 for the same $$?"

From a mechanic's point of veiw, to me, nothing outlives sheetmetal. The maintenance issues on a twin-Beech 40 years ago, are the same issues today. Metal is tough. I've worked on modern composite "Jungle-Jets" and 30 year old Boeing 727's, and in my opinion, the 727's will be flying much longer than the Jungle Jet. Airplanes get beat up alot, and metal can take most of it, and it's fairly easy to replace if it does fail/corrode. If you drive a tug into a composite wing, that bird is down for a LONG time, if it's sheetmetal, it's up and flying in a day or 2. I know how to do composite repair, and damn near every repair I've seen is weaker than the original, or it's twice as heavy.

Cut to shape,
Beat to fit,
Paint to match.........
God bless sheetmetal.

Also many folks in the sticks are thinking high wing for floats and more importantly for snow bank clearance. They are also probably better for sight seeing and photo/film work. I would also guess that enough of the market is just comfortable in good old Cessna and that is enough to keep the design going.

As Chunk said though… I would take a SR-22 and be careful around the banks!

Back